This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFederal Access to Information

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Casey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Federal Access to Information
    Posted: 13/April/2005 at 12:43am

I've been feeling much better lately and decided it's time to do what I can to get my CSL mess worked out.  I still feel that my loan was stats barred at the time the government got their judgment against me. I'm hoping I can get the necessary information by requesting my file.  I've seen references to doing this but didn't see any links to info on where and how to do this.

After some searching I finally found the Federal Government website for for Access to Information. The site also has the required forms available for download. This should help simplify things..  These links may be helpful to others.

Access to Information Act and Privacy Act: http://canada.justice.gc.ca/en/ps/atip/using.html

Access to Information Forms: http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/tbsf-fsct/tbsf-fsct_e.asp

OK, now we have the forms and information, can anyone share anything they know about what to ask for etc., to make sure I get it right. Also, is making this request considered as acknowledging the debt and restarting the clock?

For the record.. I'm not just looking for an easy way out, I have not been able to pay this loan and likely will never be, unless a suddenly come into a bid wind fall..

Casey..
Sponsored Links

Mersan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mersan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/April/2005 at 6:49am

I am becoming increasingly leery of what appears to be the government’s position that they are entitled to break the law if it means going after a student loan debt.  It will be interesting to see if there is a pattern of Justice suing debts that they know are statute barred.  Citizens are protected by the Limitations Act, as well as other acts where limitations are specified, from these sorts of actions.  From what I understand the crown feels they can break the law and it is up to the citizenry to prove their innocence.  Wow!! This suggests that the Department of Justice is involved in pursuing its citizens in a manner that is not supported by existing laws.  Scary stuff.

For what it’s worth Casey I also strongly suspect that the crown began litigation after my case was statute barred.  I wonder how many of these cases there are? 

polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/April/2005 at 8:22am

Hey, Casey...Good to hear from you.

I know your story well, and therefore know that you aren't seeking  "the easy way out." I think you deserve some quality of life after the crrrap you've been through...

Can't Johnny help? I know you're strapped for funds, but I'm sure you can work something doable out...

Poly

Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
Casey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/April/2005 at 12:33am
Hi Poly, nice to hear from you!

It really hard to ask for help knowing you can't afford to pay. Also, after being let down by legal aid, politicians and even a lawyer (former friend), it is hard to trust anyone. I was raised to believe our government would take care of us.. I see now that is a blind, stupid idea.

My situation is old (over 15 years) and gone past any simple solutions. I'm the "old man" in the group, in my mid 50's. Right now my problem is getting worse. I still have my son at home, he's 20 but more like 13 in some ways.. When he turned 18, I lost over $200 child tax credit, when he turned 19 I lost $85 from a provincial low income family program and at the end of June will loose another $50 because he will no longer be going to school.. Hopefully he can get some kind of work but this will not be easy with his problem.. I'm so far below the poverty level they need to come up with another classification.. poor just doesn't cut it..  Retirement looks good at the present rates, I'll get more money, if the government doesn't screw that up..

Casey . .

Post Reply Post Reply