This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedQuestion about application for disability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about application for disability
    Posted: 03/November/2006 at 2:19pm
This site is great!  I am really hoping someone can help me.  I am going to try and apply for disability...I am on long term disability at work.  I am only able to work part time.  I am currently in default and have claimed bankruptcy.  According to my income tax I only take home 1500 per month because my LTD is not included.  Do I have to claim that when I file for Disablity with the government?  My income is over 2000 with my LTD and if they look at that they may deny me.  Even with this amount I am not able to pay what is expected of my student loans...they are over 50000!  I will never be able to pay them back at 100 per month.  Please help
Sponsored Links

momof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/November/2006 at 6:43pm

ah crap i had a respoonse and lost it

good luck on getting anyone to look at your app, let alone approve it.

go here http://www.canadastudentdebt.ca/forum_posts.asp?TID=80&P N=1&get=last

and here http://www.kwantlen.bc.ca/ssd/documentation.html

then here because they use these guidelines as a reference http://www.sdc.gc.ca/asp/gateway.asp?hr=/en/isp/cpp/health.s html&hs=cdp

if your disability occured after six months post graduation, you're essentially doomed to be denied unless you're on a ventillator.  expect to jump through hoops higher than everest on your quest to have all the paperwork filled out according to their time table if they remember to give it all to you in the first place and if they don't lose it repeatedly while contemplating whether or not to read your file.

sorry if i seem negative, but been there, done that, got incomplete paperwork sent to me and forms were lost and then i ran out of time cause i was in default !!!  this is what happens when you brush off your symptoms for years and fail to get diagnosed -you fail to qualify for debt reduction, disabiity repayment, and loan forgiveness.

professionals built the titanic but amateurs built the ark...
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/November/2006 at 12:07pm

Thanks for the reply, I have had this all my life...I was misdiagnosed with depression during my studies and now have been diagnosed with bipolar which will be with me for the rest of my life.  I have gone through hell during my schooling and continue to go through hell with my finances.  Are you saying that it isn't even worth trying?  WIth my health I have fought bigger demons than the CLSP I am sure!  I know it was hard for you MOM of 2 but would you take it back for the outcome you had?

shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/December/2006 at 1:47pm
Ok so I have written a letter with help from MOMof2 and filled out the forms from CSLP. I am waiting to see what my doctor will write. When we looked at my file I was originally diagnosed when I was in school with depression and SAD, a misdiagnosis of depression but a diagnosis all the same. My LTD case manager is also going to write me a letter regarding my poor financial situation. Mom2 do you think this will better my chances?
emma_chase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_chase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2006 at 10:25am

Has anyone here had their application approved ?

I wonder if we could find out, thru Freedom of Information, the #s of Applications and the #s of those that have been approved?

Honestly, I have not heard of even one Application being approved, so part of me wonders if this Gov't student loan Debt Forgiveness Program is just a ruse.

Casey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/December/2006 at 8:57pm
I'm starting to believe that our applications are thrown in the garbage without anyone even looking at them. All you get out of them of is another form letter saying that you are capable of paying, to contact them within 10 days to make payment arrangements. Lots of help, ah!

I'd like to see those high paid politicians and government employees live on the small pension check that I get!  My whole check wouldn't pay for one of their nights on the town! It really sucks and no one  cares.. The people that run things are happy living their cushy lives, why should they give a dam about us? A very sad state of affairs! It looks like the only disability they may understand is when we go to meet our maker.. That will be the only way to finally bring this nightmare to an end...

Casey . .
 Post Reply Post Reply