This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThis is What Needs to be Changed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
wrennard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrennard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This is What Needs to be Changed!
    Posted: 03/February/2010 at 9:40am
Tax Credits on what you pay yearly to reduce school related debt. Both Government assistance debt, and lines of credits/loans from banks for education purposes. This would ease the stress of repaying student loans and help maintain a decent quality of life while repaying.
Sponsored Links

foreverindebt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foreverindebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/April/2009 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by administrator administrator wrote:

Thanks for the idea.. I've sent this email off to HRSDC - I'll let you know if we get anything back.

The student loan regulations state that if a borrower pays off all outstanding interest, and makes six payments, the loan is rehabilitated. Could you please inform me of the process involved in getting a rehabilitated loan transferred from a collection agency back into non-default status with the NSLSC, and having the information on their credit bureau changed to reflect the fact that the loan is rehabilitated?

It seems that these rehabilitated loans are still being counted as defaults, even though they have been rehabilitated under the legislation. I would appreciate your clarification on this matter.

I take it you never got a response as none is posted here ...
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2007 at 6:55pm

Thanks for the idea.. I've sent this email off to HRSDC - I'll let you know if we get anything back.

The student loan regulations state that if a borrower pays off all outstanding interest, and makes six payments, the loan is rehabilitated. Could you please inform me of the process involved in getting a rehabilitated loan transferred from a collection agency back into non-default status with the NSLSC, and having the information on their credit bureau changed to reflect the fact that the loan is rehabilitated?

It seems that these rehabilitated loans are still being counted as defaults, even though they have been rehabilitated under the legislation. I would appreciate your clarification on this matter.

Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
Bech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2007 at 6:43pm
thanks marc
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2007 at 6:41pm
Yep, this site sleeps with him every night it can. But he snores and farts so I have trouble sleeping so I go back home! :) And my girlfriend is far more attractive so I'm happy when I get home... Sorry, no offence meant Johnny! :)

But to address your point, yes it is unfair that the actual laws regarding rehabilitation are not followed. Once in default, you cant get your loan recalled even though its says paying the outstanding interest and making 6 payments restores the loan.

But the collection agency doesnt want to lose its commission so it doesnt happen. And the NSLSC doesnt want to take the loan back cause they'd incur costs to maintain your file.

Also, the credit rating is screwed for 6 years after you pay the loan. Its completely unfair and I totally agree with you.

I sense you are not happy with my recommending Johnny. Johnny is a completely separate business entity. I endorse Johnny because he is the only person I know of who can work the issues for people. My recommended advocates forum is open to postings, but no one else has ever been recommended there. On the other hand, I have received messages about trustees who have provided incorrect info that led people down the wrong path.

It would be improper for me to not let people know about him. And keep in mind that I run this site as a volunteer. I dont make any money from this site. Membership is totally free. I had an offer to sell it once but refused.

Your point about these rules being unfair is totally justified. Please check out the work at the Coalition for student loan fairness at http://www.studentloanfairness.ca    

Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
Bech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2007 at 6:22pm

Once you are in a position to make payments you should be able to go back into good standing and revive your credit rating. But the way I understand it once you slip below the line into default your f**ked until you pay the amount owed in full. And I suspect this site of being in bed with Johny.

findpeace&calm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote findpeace&calm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2007 at 11:48pm
I am sorry, but I cant believe anyone would suggest RAISING the cost of tuition?! That is insane.  Ludicrous!

I myself, was a straight A student in University, actually the only good thing I got out of university were reference letters from professors with glowing reviews on my intelligence (do not mean to brag, but I have it in writing) they said I was an excellent candidate for graduate school.  But of course that never panned out.  I have 3 years of university with a debt load of $30,000.  I was forced to leave school because of bankruptcy due to consumer debt (house, etc).

I worked full-time also, raised 4 kids and still got straight A's with a full course load.  But where has my intelligence got me - no where, now I am stuck with this debt and no completed education because I can absolutely not afford to finish it, I cant even afford to pay them back what I do owe!

University used to be affordable back in the early 90s when I first started.. what happened? 

Education should be free - to give everyone a fair chance.  The system is set up for the rich folk, the lower class do not have a fighting chance - believe me I have tried to get out of my historical poverty class and actually in University this was my main focus, helping change poverty, but alas....I pretty much give up on trying to save the world - no more fight left in me. 

albertagirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albertagirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2007 at 1:34pm
Thanks for the link Hippy!!!
There is hope! Keep the faith, believe in yourself, and most importantly, when you are threatened, remind yourself that YOU DO HAVE RIGHTS, and that NO ONE can take those away. NEVER AGAIN.
old hippy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old hippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2007 at 9:13am
Alberta Girl,

Here's the link to the Coalition for Student Loan Fairness petition with the 8 point plan for student loan reform:

The links to the petition and the Coalition for Student Loan Fairness are both on this site.  Upper right hand corner "SIGN THE ONLINE PETITION!"  You can't miss it....

If you read through some of the threads you'll see how it evolved.  An MP from my neck of the woods in Ontario has just signed and I am SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Buff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2007 at 8:57am
Yes Albertagirl, some people go to university just for the sake of going. We agree on that point, but that's where the agreement ends.

Money does not make a good student, though good students need money to go to school.

I stand by my statment that raising tuition does not raise the quality of students who go to that particular school, unless of course, you link quality to quantity, as in the quantity of money in the family's bank account.

If that's the case, I guess I was a pretty bad student. After all, I ended up with $18,000 in student loans, the OSAP max at the time. That amount isn't much overall, especially compared to some of what's written on this site, but for 2 years of community college, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Nonetheless, this "bad" student went to school, worked hard (25 hours of class, plus 30-40 hours of homework and group projects each week), made the dean's list both years, worked part-time and proudly graduated on time.

You mentioned more money for remission and debt reduction. Good ideas, but it shouldn't have to come to that. Why not reduce the amount the students are paying in the first place? It doesn't make sense to set aside money to pay for problems later when it could be used to avoid the problems in the first place. 

Buff
polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2007 at 3:25am
Originally posted by albertagirl albertagirl wrote:

As for you polyhymnia61, if your kid graduated with top marks in IB classes, his university tuition should have been paid for. I don't know of one single IB grad from my high school that didn't recieve full, if not almost full scholarships. As for his dead beat dad, why haven't you pursued him for child support? There is legal aid (and they have been a blessing to me whenever I was sent to collections). Where abouts are you located? I am only familiar with Alberta.

I said that he took IB courses; he did not finish the IB program because he found it restricting in course choices. I was illustrating the point that he had the potential to succeed at university. Scholarships are not guaranteed.

And how do you know I haven't pursued his father? Just because one pursues does not mean one gets money. We have the Support and Custody Enforcement Program in Ontario. The file is active.
Home is where you are allowed to prosper.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albertagirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2007 at 1:06pm
I am not sure of this. It could be there is one, but I have only just found this site about a week ago, and only because there was an article in the Edmonton Sun.

There is hope! Keep the faith, believe in yourself, and most importantly, when you are threatened, remind yourself that YOU DO HAVE RIGHTS, and that NO ONE can take those away. NEVER AGAIN.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albertagirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2007 at 1:04pm
Apparently no one read the part that said there should be MORE money allocated in the budget for remission and other debt reduction when the students graduate. More remission money means less debt for the grad.

I have no hidden agenda; I have student loans totalling over 13,000$ myself... even though I have been sent to collections more often that I can count, threatened by numerous collections agents who have promised to call my employer (who were then informed that I would file charges with the RCMP for violating privacy laws), etc. etc. etc. For every threat they gave me, I threatened them right back.

Buff you said, "When I was in high school, my parents drilled into me that university was the only way to go. No college, no taking time off to work for a few years, no nothing. University was the only option and, by the way kid, you're paying for it. . ." which proves my point that some individuals go for the sake of going.

I said raise tuition to recruit the best minds (both students and professors who do research), which means more work, which means more money, which means more grants available to encourage more brains, and for those brains to VALUE what they are going for. . .an education.

I also said that upon graduation there should be more money for remission. Doing this (rasing tuition) would allow for this.

As for the union sisterhood, I am a unionized machine operator in Union un-friendly Alberta. My degree is in business. I took a job to survive, and quite frankly, went to university because it was expected of me. I should have made the people that expected it from me to pay for it, but whatever; as a young adult, i wanted to make my mom proud. And she is. But the debt is mine, and it'll get paid off eventually.

I have my contacts within other locals, and they have contacts within their locals, and so on and so forth; if you spiderweb it out, there's thousands. And don't forget, Alberta is very anti-union, and some of these employees are scared to death of losing their jobs in our red hot economy if they start yelling for justice, but are willing to add their voice if someone else starts the yelling. Which is what I plan to do. And I have never ever heard of an 8 point plan, is it on this site? Regardless, if you could point it out for me, that'd be great.

As for you polyhymnia61, if your kid graduated with top marks in IB classes, his university tuition should have been paid for. I don't know of one single IB grad from my high school that didn't recieve full, if not almost full scholarships. As for his dead beat dad, why haven't you pursued him for child support? There is legal aid (and they have been a blessing to me whenever I was sent to collections). Where abouts are you located? I am only familiar with Alberta.

Look, my opinion is as valid as any of yours. I'm not trying to hurt feelings. I'm trying to express my POV. I am active in whatever I take part in; justice in this country is for the criminals, not the victims, which is why I am also active in politics, or at least try to be informed of every party's platform.

Sorry if some of you were offended or hurt. I'll try to be more articulate the next time I post a (potentially) controversial topic.

albertagirl
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2007 at 2:22am
Very good point, Hippy.
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/June/2007 at 9:58pm
My 20-year-old son is presently working in retail full-time because he can't afford university. I raised him on my own while attending university with no help from his father who still owes him over $30,000 in back child support...

He saw what I went though and is scared to death of wrecking his future because of a sick student loan system.

This kid was one of the smartest in his class all through French immersion school. He took and passed with high marks IB classes in high school.

Now he sells shoes to pay the rent.

How will raising tuition fees help him, Alberta Girl?
Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
old hippy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old hippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/June/2007 at 1:35pm

Hello alberta,

I'm having a few concerns but maybe I've been misunderstanding your past few posts...which were very energetic and positive by the way.  Didn't Julian a.k.a. pogo and Mark and maybe a few others I'm not sure, get together and go over all these points and put together the 8 point plan, creating the Coalition for Student Loan Fairness?  Which brought me to tears the other day when I read through the posts.  There are many NDP MP's signing our petition as well and I think a lot of work has been done with more to come.  I trust these people because I've been a member of this site for a few years and I'm grateful for all they've done.

Of course, the more support the better...But I am very cautious about who speaks for me.  Parliament Hill would be a cool place to bring our student loan issues, but not if they become part of someone's political agenda... you mentioned the Separatist Party of Alberta.

Who do you mean by the union sisterhood?  It's probably all good but can't all those thousands of supporters that you say you have, or will have, be pointed in the Coalition's direction?  My concern is that you may have a hidden agenda, and other issues besides student loans....

hippy

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/June/2007 at 10:32am
Ya hit it right on, Buff. The best student is defined as the one who wants to take the initiative, learn, and better their life through the process of education - rich or poor- it doesn't matter. The student loan system in Canada is therre to lend money and do it's best to manage the assets and investyments. THose who are not rich suffer because they do not have the ability to pay back. This directly relates the cost of education, which we discussed so many times int he past.

If the cost was not so high, EVERYONE could afford to go to school and poterntially better their lives. It's not rocket science.

So, what needs to change? 1) The cost of education in Canada because it is absolutely attrocious. 2) The student loan service providers need to do be more equipped with problem solving tools and asset management skills, and 3) 21st century focus within the educational system rather than the current 18th century one.

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Buff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/June/2007 at 5:32am
Originally posted by albertagirl albertagirl wrote:

"The problem is 1) cost of education. . ."

I agree and disagree on this statement. I feel tuition isn't high enough to attract the best students, and it certainly isn't high enough for the university's to be able to recruit the best in research brains.

You're right about tuition not being high enough to attract the best students. It's TOO high to attract them. Often the best students are not from rich families. They're middle class and lower. High tuition drives them away, no matter how badly they might want to be a student at that particular school. I've seen quite a few rich kids who feel a university education is something they're entitled to, not something they have to earn.

The problem with high tuition (aside from higher debt loads and higher default rates after grad) is that as tuition gets higher, less deserving students can go to school. Post-secondary education becomes more of a thing for people whose parents can afford to send them, not for students who really want to go. Scholarships are great, but there aren't nearly enough to go around for students who can't afford school, but are the ones most likely to work hard and do great things with their education.

The ability for a university to recruit the best in research brains isn't all that and then some like people think either. Schools want the researchers so they can bring grants and other money into the school. Students aren't the school's first priority. Profs research first and teach second, if at all. I haven't seen too many first and second year courses taught by the prof. They're all done by TA, especially anything early in the morning.

I think university is losing its value. People go because mommy and daddy send them. They go because they need a degree for all but the lowest-paying jobs like McDonalds. If that's the case and everyone has one, it's not quite the accomplishment that it used to be. Schools are turning into degree factories.

When I was in high school, my parents drilled into me that university was the only way to go. No college, no taking time off to work for a few years, no nothing. University was the only option and, by the way kid, you're paying for it. I took 3 years off, then went to college.

I just finished 4 years teaching in the public education system (2 years secondary, 2 in a cegep), so I know it's changing a lot, and usually not for the better. I can't stand people lumping all post-secondary together and trashing it, but I almost always agree with those who criticize universities and the way they go about their business.

Buff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albertagirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2007 at 6:51pm
"The problem is 1) cost of education. . ."

I agree and disagree on this statement. I feel tuition isn't high enough to attract the best students, and it certainly isn't high enough for the university's to be able to recruit the best in research brains. But that is another forum, and though I already wrote it all out, it came out sounding more like a political platform for the Separatist Party of Alberta, of which I am a firm believer. Having said that, I do believe that there should alot more in the budget for students who graduate, to be able to give them a very nice chuck of change in remission and loan forgiveness. Think of it as a grad gift from the powers that be. . .

Having said that blast, I'll get back to the original post.

Mr. Johnny, there are a few things I could use from you:

Could you whip up a page or two of validated complaints against the system? References, etc.
DEMANDS as to the changes we as a collective (being student loan borrowers) want to see NOW, not when everyone has to file bankruptcy.
ANYTHING else you would like your MP, MLA, MPP, to know regarding this issue. And believe me, it WILL be known.
The names and contact info for every single major media outlet in your city of residence.
I think that's all.  I am on vacation in August, and now I know what I will be doing . . . LOBBYING FOR CHANGE!!!!!!!! Maybe even on Parliament Hill???

How will you get this to me? posting it on here for all?? I would prefer to take your info, format it my way, and then repost it, or maybe you could mail it to me? I feel an urgency for this, so maybe this is the way?

Regardless, I've rambled enough.

till next time, stay young, stay in touch with your mommy, brush your teeth, and remember, pissing off a sisterhood is like putting a target on your chest!

albertagirl
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2007 at 10:06am
"I also find it incredibly odd that the SL Lenders lose payments and information all the time, ..."

It is the worst of inconvenience for the borrower because it is not something that the borrower can see coming, or detect until it is too late. However, there is a serious pattern that illustrates that it is very convenient for the private student loan lending sector to behave this way simply because of the high number of defaults in Canada. THe default rate could very well be higher than 25% - and if so, this is not normal.

The problem is 1) cost of education, and 2) the systems failure to understand the assets and not knowing how to properly manage them.

If there is anything I can do to help you and the cause, let me know. Way to go, sister. You preach. I will turn the pages.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>