This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTransaction Record Woes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
penniless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penniless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transaction Record Woes
    Posted: 18/April/2007 at 1:04pm

Let me just begin by saying that I hate Royal Bank with every cell in my body. Never have I worked with such incompetence.

A few weeks ago, my Royal Bank Student Loan of over $5000 was sent directly to a collection agency with no warning: no phone calls, no letters... nothing to tell me that I was in arrears. As it turns out, Royal Bank somehow got confused when I made a few payments EARLY, and didn't apply them to my account. Luckily, I had been keeping proper receipts after them screwing up several times before, so I faxed the receipts over, and everything was sorted out. Today, I phoned Royal Bank to ask them to send me a detailed transaction history of my account. The response was complete hesitancy on their part. They said it "would be a lot of work" and that it would take "4 to 8 weeks" to get the record. Then I got interrogated on why I needed a transaction record in the first place. What I'd like to know is this: when I'm paying a huge organization hundreds and hundreds of dollars in interest, why can't I get a record of my payments? Why is it such a big secret? How can I make them tell me what's going on with my loan? I've never received ANYTHING that has told me a balance or interest rate or anything. I don't even know the terms of my loan! I'm so frusted with this bank. I'd like to know how to proceed. Calling the Student Loan centre does not seem to be working.

Sponsored Links

takopup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takopup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2007 at 1:21am
Section 8 of PIPEDA says that if you make your request in writing (by fax and keep the fax successful and then maybe send one by registered mail) and there is no response in 30 days, it is deemed to be a refusal and therefore in violation of the privacy act.   If the privacy commissioner feels necessary, they could be fined !

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/ShowFullDoc/cs/P-8.6///en

(Scroll down to Section 8, read it fully, and then read Schedule 1 - 4.9)

You could then complain to the privacy commissioner and you will eventually get your file.

http://www.privcom.gc.ca

You could also try their Customer Relations Centre at 1 800 769-2540.  They will soothe you but it might get someone to move on it??

Written request

8. (1) A request under clause 4.9 of Schedule 1 must be made in writing.

Assistance

(2) An organization shall assist any individual who informs the organization that they need assistance in preparing a request to the organization.

Time limit

(3) An organization shall respond to a request with due diligence and in any case not later than thirty days after receipt of the request.

Extension of time limit

(4) An organization may extend the time limit

(a) for a maximum of thirty days if

(i) meeting the time limit would unreasonably interfere with the activities of the organization, or

(ii) the time required to undertake any consultations necessary to respond to the request would make the time limit impracticable to meet; or

(b) for the period that is necessary in order to be able to convert the personal information into an alternative format.

In either case, the organization shall, no later than thirty days after the date of the request, send a notice of extension to the individual, advising them of the new time limit, the reasons for extending the time limit and of their right to make a complaint to the Commissioner in respect of the extension.

Deemed refusal

(5) If the organization fails to respond within the time limit, the organization is deemed to have refused the request.

Costs for responding

(6) An organization may respond to an individual’s request at a cost to the individual only if

(a) the organization has informed the individual of the approximate cost; and

(b) the individual has advised the organization that the request is not being withdrawn.

Reasons

(7) An organization that responds within the time limit and refuses a request shall inform the individual in writing of the refusal, setting out the reasons and any recourse that they may have under this Part.

Retention of information

(8) Despite clause 4.5 of Schedule 1, an organization that has personal information that is the subject of a request shall retain the information for as long as is necessary to allow the individual to exhaust any recourse under this Part that they may have.
 Post Reply Post Reply