This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedproof it can be done!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aaronstew_2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaronstew_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: proof it can be done!
    Posted: 07/February/2014 at 2:47am
Wow, looking back it's crazy to realize that 10 years have gone by since my initial plea to John and the CFW group. I don't even have the same username for this forum lol.

What I do want to do is come around full circle and give a huge thanks to John, Heather and everyone at the CFW Group.

With their help, just prior to the start of 2014, I was able to reach a settlement on my bank held student loan and have it paid off in it's entirety. It was a long journey, and challenging to be sure, but throughout it all, John and Heather were there to provide insight, support, guidance and even some laughs while we (they) navigated the system and were able to negotiate a settlement that saw the final amount come in at less than half of what was outstanding.

I wanted to tie this back to my previous thanks as a way of highlighting that this is not a quick fix that will happen overnight. Throughout the last 10 years, my family and I have had to make sacrifices to deal with the loans. Trade offs were made to address the debt and priorities focused on building the relationships with FI's to re-establish myself. It takes perseverance and dedication, and yes definitely a knowledgeable guide in John.

Those who are looking for an easy answer are not in the right place.

That said with the right attitude, faith in John and CFW, and patience, the results can be dramatic.

What can happen quickly is that John can, and will if asked, stop the calls, stop the threats and shed light on what's possible and what's just fear-mongering. If you're reading this, then you know that alone can be worth the price. From there, if you're willing and able, John and CFW will help you with a roadmap to get you to where you need to be. It's not a spectator sport--you need to be engaged and open to the idea. But if you are, over time, you will see results, regardless of what it is your goals may be.

For my family, this was the right decision. Think about what you're hoping to achieve and what you're willing to commit to, and I'm sure you won't regret making the call.

Sponsored Links

aaronstew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaronstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2007 at 3:26am
Firstly, some background... I'm posting my previous accolades by way of tying it all together and to also note that our story goes back to the start of 2004...

"Hello all!     I wanted to take the opportunity to offer heartfelt thanks on a job extremely well done by John "Johnny" LeBlanc of the Canadian Financial Wellness Group. After briefly discussing my situation with John through this forum, and more in depth via email and telephone conversations over the course of a couple of weeks (including a week while he was on vacation, and the Easter long weekend!) John has helped me to get a handle on my student debt.     Whereas I was unable to negotiate reasonable repayment with the collectors, and grew weary of their "tactics", John was able to halt all phone calls, setup a payment schedule which was affordable for me, without leaving me destitute, and most importantly help me realize that, while student debt is a reality and a burden, it needn't be the ruling factor in my life. It's not going to go away quickly, but it will go away eventually, and through working with John, it will be a much smoother ride, without the fear, stress and headaches. I will continue to work with John, and I believe him when he says that he will be able to show me how to navigate through this minefield, manage my debt and eventually rehabilitate my credit.     While I know it will still be a long and bumby ride, I now feel as though I will be taking the trip in Range Rover as opposed to a go kart! John's fees are reasonable and more than made up for with the peace of mind and renewed hope I received. Despite what must be a monumental workload, I have found John to be accessable, trustworthy, knowledgable and very quick at doing what he says he'll do.     In short, I fully recommend the services of the CFW Group and John in particular, for anyone who could use the help of a consumate professional in helping with the student loan system. Thank you very much John, and good luck to everyone!     Cheers,     Aaron"     I posted the above about exactly one year ago on another site dedicated to debt issues. In the year since I have been lucky to have had John and the CFW Group on my side to deal with the unexpected arrival of another "hidden" government Student Loan. Did this cause huge difficulties? Not all. Working with John, the amount which I pay to my combined student loans remains constant, with all three now getting their piece. The future continues to look bright, and I know, should anything at all come along to cloud things up, I need only write an email, or make a phone call and in no time at all, I will have John offering advice, service, humour, whatever may be needed.     I would like to take this opportunity to renew my recommendation, and to once more thank John for everything that he has done on my behalf. You are truly an amazing man.     Cheers,     Aaron

It is with a huge smile on my face that I again find myself writing to thank John and CFW Group for all the work, advice, assistance, humour and patience over the past 3 years! Again, despite a monumental case-load and a round-the-clock schedule, I have found John to be accessible and prompt in his communications and always delivers as promised, when promised.

Now to continue the story... having, like many of you, incurred the "wrath" of the SL system, I initially felt as though there was no way out... as noted above, John quickly showed me a better way and before long, the calls stopped, we were paying what we could afford and more importantly, we were able to live our lives... not merely eking out an exisitence, but actually living and enjoying ourselves, while addressing the SL's and never having to worry about who was calling or why.

Has it been an easy 3 years? Certainly not, and let's be clear, sacrifices had to be made to deal with my debt... in fact they are still being made as we continue to pay. What's important is that we are dealing with it head on and it has paid off for us.

The success part you ask? Well here we are, a little over 3 years to the day from the start of this journey, and I am ecstatic to report that my wife and I have been approved for our first mortgage! Through building strong realtionships and preparing ourselves we have successfully made it to our goal!

Having followed the stories of so many over the years on these forums and having shared the pain of being in the same situation as many of you, I'm here to tell you all that with time and the proper approach, anything is possible. I've read countless times the fears of those of you who also dream of one day owning a home, a car... having a credit card even... it can be done. Take a long term view and think of it as a process... in many ways, the journey is the destination and I've learned so much over the years that I will carry forward in all my future dealings.

In closing, I can't recommend enough getting in contact with John at CFW Group. Regardless of your sitaution, he will be able to get you back on track and point you in the right direction... no matter what your goal is, he'll help you get there!

Cheers to all! (and apologies for the long post )
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
 Post Reply Post Reply