This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPre-2000 CSLs with Scotiabank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mitchontario View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchontario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pre-2000 CSLs with Scotiabank
    Posted: 18/July/2007 at 8:15am
I've had student loans with Scotiabank in the 80s and 90s.  I have been MIA for a long time and have had no contact from them.   I tried calling the National Student Loans Center and they dont even have my SIN on file as they say they don't handle pre-2000 loans.  

How do I find out the current balance (original plus interest) of all my loans?  I read that if I put a request in writing this may restart a stat-barred clock on litigation, yet if I don't, how can I get the information on
my amount owed to take to a trustee?

Mitch

Sponsored Links

Buff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2007 at 10:14am
The NSLSC doesn't hande loans that are through a bank. You have to call Scotiabank to find out your balance.
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/July/2007 at 3:33am
Actually, you would be calling Resolve Corporation because they are service provider for Scotiabank student loans.

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
mitchontario View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchontario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/July/2007 at 4:28am

Thanks Johnny... I haven't been able to get thru to Scotiabank, and cant find any contact info . on Resolve... Would you happen to have their contact information? Do they have a website where I can find balances?

Thanks, Mitch
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/July/2007 at 11:46am
You can contact the Bank of Nova Scotia student loan center (GSLAC) and the call will be handled by a rep. It is outsourcing and Resolve it the service provider for Scotiabank stuent loans. THe Scotiabank telephone # will do.

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
bella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/September/2007 at 3:25am
Where can i find out more information on Stat. Barred litigations and student loans post 2000.  Loan was actually taken out 1994 or 1995 with last action in 2001 november.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/September/2007 at 2:29am
Contact the provincial justice department of the province you live in and ask them to give you the details.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
Pissed off View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pissed off Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2009 at 2:35am
Hello Mitch,
WHAT NOT TO DO: file for bankruptcy.  That would be admiting to have a debt when you have none Confused.

I am in the same situation, sort of.
Because I was a CRA employee, 'they' started garnishing my wages without a Court Order in January 2005, more than 10 years after graduating (in the spring of 1994).  I retired in 2007 to put an end to this craziness, craziness because I had paid off my loan entirely Embarrassed before the end of my studies with authorization to deduct from my bank account, awards to by paid directly to the bank (I never saw the money), and from a car accident settlement.  I worked few months for another Fed. Gover. Department and applied for E.I. when I was led off.  'They' took more than 60% of my E.I.Cry
Since I was 68 at my retirement, I am getting OAS/GIS, CPP, and my CRA pension, so, 'they' are now garnsihing my CRA pension.  The garnishings are under false pretenses.  They don't say for defaulted CSL, 'they' said for EI overpayment (a letter from my EI office says I owe zero), then for income tax arrears (I owe zero).  So far, they have collected just about $27,000.00 for an initial (paid) loan of under $16,600.00 Ouch.
I decided to sue CRA collection, and all the other Gover. departments such as Service Canada (E.I.) on January 14, 2009, alone, as no lawyer would take the plunge, for violation of several Laws Dead
CRA lawyer and his clients have had the nerve to ask me to prove I have paid my CSL from the bank documents (ScotiaBank, that is).  The bank keeps documents for six (6) years only.  They switched my lawsuit to CSL!
The bank would have send my entire file to HRDC, now HRSDC, that is all schedules and forms. Angry  I have requested the defendants to send my all the copies in their possession.  They are ignoring my request.  Yet, a list of documents provided by the lawyer in his only response, called Memorandum, is shown at the back of a sched. 6 - request for repayment from the bank to HRDC.  It also shows Form 5 - corrections of errors, and Form 7 - payments made by the student Star.  Have 'they' not seen that?
Let see what else 'they' will come up with next! 
So, it seems, this is part of the ScotiaBank Horror stories, is it not?  It is also about CRA Horror stories.
Although I am now close to my 70 year-young, I will not let them go.  I am still waiting for these documents for our next meeting coming soon.  The switch is now on them.  Prove I owe, prove where the money you took from me went to, what account? CSL, foolish, it has been paid.  I am hoping to win my case soon Smile after many years, since 1997, of telling HRDC I did not owe anything, after telling CRA I don't owe anything.  Like most of you, all my credit cards are paid on time.
If your story is like mine, I am hoping I can help the most destitute of you with the big settlement money I am asking.  Because my case is complex, it costed me $150 file an Action ($50 for simpler cases) and $300 later (for $150 for simpler cases).  If your story is like mine, it will be your turn to Tongue.  You won't be alone.
I forgot, HRDC had two (2) files on me, perhaps more!

my e-mail address has changed.  As soon as the lawsuit is over, I will post the new one.  If I can help, I will Big smile.  

Has a class action been started? Where? How can I join?
 Post Reply Post Reply