This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBankruptcy Law News!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
mommyto4in08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mommyto4in08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/July/2008 at 2:44pm
Johnny, thanks again for the great advice! I am reviewing my options carefully, there aren't that many in my current financial state. I am presently contemplating this new 5 year hardship rule also. Would you happen to know if this is also considered a bankruptcy? If so, does it clear all loans held with banks/Gov't?

Again, thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it!
Sponsored Links

SeansW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeansW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/July/2008 at 3:58am
I'll try to keep this brief because my story isn't much different from most of the others that I have read here. In November of 2007 I completed a consumer credit proposal which included the federal portion, provincial portion and risk portion of my student loans. My end of study date was April of 1998. Which means that I completed my proposal prior to the ten year rule and the remainder of the debt was not discharged. CBV Collections started calling me for the provincial portion when I began my new job just a little over three months ago. It's pretty obvious that my SIN was a big flag. Of course they want over $10,000 and they want it all now. We did the whole song and dance about getting a bank loan to consolidate my debt and allow them to get their commission faster. I actually took the time to speak with an uncle of mine and pitch the idea to him. We are very close, but he's not a wealthy man and he feared that I would just be providing them with another person to bleed. Anyway, I'm fortunate to be working in a reasonably well paid job. And I have offered them about ten per cent of the total amount plus 36 monthly payments. Previously they said that they would only accept the entire amount owing. And the minimum allowable payment would be $618 per month, which they didn't even want to discuss. To my surprise a representative called me (the auto dialer calls every day) and she accepted my payment proposal. The problem is they couldn't put it in writing. I insisted that it must be in writing. On the phone they were very careful to agree to my payments but came short of saying that at the end of the 36 months the balance would be clear. Then yesterday I got another call. Yeah, sure! Let's get this done. Can I fax you the agreement? How soon can you send those checks? Then today I get another call. We have no such letter. We aren't allowed to put it in writing. The ministry guidelines do not allow us to put it in writing or send a letter agreeing to payment schedules The whole amount is due now. Have you ever filed a financial questioniarre?

So this is the situation; I do not have assets anywhere equal to the amount owing. Through direct payments to the Bank of Nova Scotia (after leaving one college and before beginning another) through collection agencies and a consumer credit proposal I have paid off Three times the amount I borrowed for my education. Granted not all of the money I paid into the consumer credit proposal actually went to my creditors. The trustee does take fees from the monies. And still they won't accept a reasonable payment plan (with ten per cent paid upfront) to clear off the balance!

Fortunately I have spoken to a lawyer and I have representation. But why are they being such idiots about this? I'm offering to pay! Just put it in writing.
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/July/2008 at 7:00am
You are going to need some help with this one. Call me if you want that help.

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
SeansW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeansW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/July/2008 at 7:15am
Thank you Johnny, but I have a lawyer and they are handling this. I just really enjoy this forum and wanted to share my experience with others.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/July/2008 at 8:06am

Sorry bout that.

Traditionally, collection agencies are not permitted by their clients to issue letters like this. You see, the debt is in default and a demand debt. They will not put themselves in a position whereas they cannot approach you to pay in full at any time. The thing is that a collection agency does not have to agree to accept any arrangements unless their client instructs them to do so. In your case, it appears you owe the Ontario government or Scotiabank (?). They may or may not respond to your attorney, other than that the debt is due in full at all times. If you are gainfully employed, and the collection agency feels that you can pay a certain amount, they will raise that argument and take it to whoever you owe for review.

Your attorney is obviously going to raise the argument and try to get you what you want. However, you have to step outside the box and see through the lens that they are looking through - at you. If they do not want to accept the arrangement, then thatis their decision. No one can force them to accept, you see.

Just be careful in your approach to this. Don't give them any reason to make political statements or examples of you. If they turn around and start proceedings, you will find yourself spending lots of money.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
SeansW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeansW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/July/2008 at 9:46am
Hey Johnny,

I understand what you are saying. My offer is sincere, but my lawyer also feels that if they are declining a reasonable settlement it may help my case to file a motion under section 178 to have the debt discharged as part of the consumer credit proposal which I completed. Worse case scenario we have a settlement hearing and we work out a payment schedule that isn't really too much different than what I have offered. I'm trying to avoid bankruptcy because I do have a job and I would like to repair my financial situation. It's still not a fantastic paying job. I work for a not for profit organization and it is terribly unlikely that I'm going to get a huge promotion with a big raise. Those kind of positions just aren't available at my company. I can't reasonably expect to improve my earning potential without upgrading my skills and education. And again with this debt I don't have the means to do that. In some ways it is cheaper for me to declare bankruptcy and pay the difference between my income and the allowable personal expenses under the bankruptcy act for 9-12 months. But I am an honest debtor and want to resolve this as best as possible without resorting to bankruptcy.

Hopefully this is resolved soon and I can look back at this as the decade that the government and collections agencies made my life miserable.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/July/2008 at 2:16am

I am aware of what the argument could be. However, like I said, you have to step outside of the box and have a peek at things through their lens. That's all. They have to be satisifed that the amount you are offering is all you can afford. If you owe the government of Ontario, this is going to be difficult. A section 178 is not granted just because a creditor is not willing to settle. However, demonstrate that the loan default was erroneous, and that you have suffered because of the system's failure, then you have a better argument. Anyway, at the end of the day, bankruptcy is never a cheaper way of dealing with a financial problem because it carries far more hard costs to you in both short and long term.

Regarding settlement issues, the first thing they will look at is your financial capacity, and those particulars. Then it moves from there. If the creditor feels that accepting an offer is the best option, then they will do so. However, sometimes they decline in despite of, especially if they feel that you (or your attorney) demonstrates agressive behavior, such as being to pushy. They only appreciate attorneys who work for them, remember. If you hire one, the first thing the creditor tends to  "assume" is that you are paying $400 per hour. That is one of their bias factors.

Best of luck and I hope this works out for you.

solvestudentdebt.com
SeansW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeansW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/July/2008 at 3:05am
I appreciate what you are saying. My lawyer has asked me for a detailed employment history and we have already discussed the financial hardships which I faced prior to entering college and the years since I left. There are many factors in my favour. Student loans were my only option. My father left when I was very young and my mother was deemed an unfit parent. I was in foster homes when I was young and eventually was placed in the custody of my maternal grandmother who was on a fixed income. I left my programs due to financial hardship and spent many years in low paying jobs outside of my field of study. I paid a portion of my student loans between leaving my first college and starting my second. I paid large amounts through collection agencies for several months before entering a consumer credit proposal. I have never taken on any other kind of debt. Not a car loan, mortgage, lease, credit card, line of credit or even deferred payment on furniture or electronics. I am completely willing to make significant monthly payments and have acted in a forthright manner. My lawyer has explained that my current income is a major factor against me. I'm single with no dependents and make a fair wage. Which is why I would be very happy to settle. I'm not looking for a get out of jail free card. I'm looking for an end date. Something that says "Hey you still have to pay more, but this is almost over". I'm very aware that many people who declare bankruptcy do it not once but twice or three times. And that isn't a pattern that I want to set for myself. My goal is to retire this debt and move to Europe. It's difficult for me to move forward without some sort of end date. Of course I would never flee to avoid my responsibilities.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/July/2008 at 3:43am
"I am completely willing to make significant monthly payments and have acted in a forthright manner."

This would present an obstacle in your argument for discharge in the event it has to go that route, would it not? You cannot say to the court that you are able to make substantial monthly payments and expect them to grant you a discharge if they refuse to accept.

This is my opinion any way.

Keep us all posted. I am very interested in seeing how this all works out.

solvestudentdebt.com
SeansW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeansW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/July/2008 at 6:47am
You might be correct. However, doesn't it go in my favour that I am making reasonable efforts to pay the money and yet they still insist of full payment when it is not possible, or will only accept monthly payments far beyhond my means for an indefinite period without applying the payments to the principle?

CVB Collection Services says the minimum payment which they will accept is $618 per month. And this will not make a dent in the principle. Assuming that under the consumer credit proposal that I completed the risk portion and federal portion of the claims are still two thirds of the original claim, I still owe an additional $10,000-12,000 on top of what CBV is collecting for the Ontario portion. So if I make monthly payments of $1,236 I will spend over half of my take home pay to credit agencies and be no further ahead in repaying the total debt. My personal assets are well below $22,000. I'm about $20,000 short! Despite having a monthly take home pay of approximately $2,200 I fall into the legal definition of bankrupt. My monthly expenses and  debt exceeds my income. My total debt exceeds my assets. This debt will cause me continued financial hardship. As well I will not have the means to improve my skills and education, make personal savings, invest monies for future expenses including dependents.

When I say that I am willing to make considerable payments to retire this debt I'm not saying that it would be done easily. Or that I can continue to maintain this debt without leaving myself vulnerable to market changes and employment instability.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/July/2008 at 7:45am

For one, if you cannot pay the full amount that they are demanding in one lump sum payment, all you have to do is have your attorney issue a letter (signed and stamped) to that effect. They will back off. As for the payment application, it is written in the agreement that payments you make are applied to any interest outstanding. That is the way it is for millions of Canadians who in the same pickle with student loan debt. This is how they make their money (ROI in a sense).

Coping with and paying student debt in Canada - today is never easy. The system is what it is. The costs are set by the schools and the powers that be funds you (non-refundable I might add). They feel that by doing this they are helping Canadians, and quite obviously - they are in that regard. However, they do not help people who are not able to pay them back! So, the assistance they provide really only benefits them.

Keep us posted.   

solvestudentdebt.com
scoobydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoobydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/August/2008 at 1:40am
Another small clarification please Smile

If I have already gone bankrupt and been discharged except the student loans can I now apply to do so without filing for a new bankruptcy?  Assuming the 10 or or 7 year rule applies.  Or did filing for bankruptcy kaput everything?  Thanks
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/August/2008 at 9:22am
Call your bankruptcy trustee and ask them. Ultimately, if you are able to contribute towards your student loans, you are surely wasting your time. However, if you can demonstrate that you are destitute, unemployable, disabled (financially and physically), or have been suffering from hardship with extenuating circumstances for a very long time, then you would be justified in doing so.

Remember, simply sayng that you can't afford to pay anything does not demonstrate hardship. If that were the cases, everyone would be bankrupt. You must 'demonstrate" hardship and prepare yourself to provide all supporting documentation or evidence of it. This is what demonstration means.

solvestudentdebt.com
SeansW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeansW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2008 at 10:09am
I received an e-mail from your office  but I haven't received a response to my reply. I would like to begin negotiating a payment schedule for my student loans.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2008 at 1:22pm

Write to me from the web site www.cfwgroup.ca. Click on the "contact us" tab and connect with me that way. Or, simply call me at 902-835-1210.

solvestudentdebt.com
DBforgiveness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBforgiveness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/September/2008 at 12:25am
I think I have some understanding as to what is taking place.

My question is that I am a single mother of 2 with another I would have to pay support for if I wasent on social benefits. 
I have no credit card debt, I only have student loan debt.

After inquiring about my OSL (provincial) I was about to settle?
When I inquired about my CSL(federal) the bank said the government had it and to deal with the collection agency.

I got a letter from the agency that says the bank...so I called the Government to find out
what they had on file..They had my name no address however no outstanding debt either...
The Bank was untruthful they have no been paid out for this and I believe any arrangements made with them will only allow them to file the remaining balance with the government to insure they get as much as possible...

Has anyone encounted this before...expecially when filing bankrupcy...which is what I think Im going to do I cant afford to make monthly payments Im not working and my children are not able to go into child care because of health reasons.

However anyone who is working and is able to make payments should file a consumer propsal if they are able to locate all 3 portions of their student loan.

Anyways Should I still file bankrupcy I've been out of school since 1998, Single mother 2 kids (possible child support in future) on social assistance and unable to return to work for at least 4yrs at the most.
OrlosGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrlosGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/September/2008 at 3:44pm
So if I took out my student loans between 1994 and 2000, I can't use this new law to file bankruptcy?

Trying to do everything He tells me. (John 2:5)
DBforgiveness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBforgiveness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/September/2008 at 7:40pm

Yes, I think 200 was your last period of study its now 2008...thats about 8 yrs right...and the law says out of school for 7 yrs right!!!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/September/2008 at 1:29am

It is not about "when" you can file for bankruptcy. It is "when" you can apply to have your student loan discharged. Just because you go bankrupt, and 7 years has passed since you finshed studies, there is no guarantee that your loan will be discharged. An application for discharge can be opposed, and with student debt, that appears to be the result.  m told that if you can demonstrate to the one adjudicating the case that you are experiencing hardship with extenuating circumstances, and cannot pay in the near future, and/or cannot contribute anything in the long-term, then your chances of discharge are better. However, simply saying that you cannot afford to pay it now (or ever) without any demonstration that supports this will trigger opposition.

DB, from what you are describing, you are in hardship. The best thing for you to do would be to talk to the superintendant of bankruptcy office in Ottawa and ask him to advise you. This way the information you receive comes right from the horse's mouth. That office s required to provide the public with adequate informtion, and also oversee and police the private groups that administer this program.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
OrlosGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrlosGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/September/2008 at 7:31am
An order of discharge does not release the bankrupt from

(g) any debt or obligation in respect of a loan made under the Canada Student Loans Act, the Canada Student Financial Assistance Act or any enactment of a province that provides for loans or guarantees of loans to students where the date of bankruptcy of the bankrupt occurred

Unfortunately from what I understand, student loans taken out under CSL and CSFA are NOT elligible for this seven year discharge law.

DB you and I both have to wait the ten years...Cry
Trying to do everything He tells me. (John 2:5)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>