This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedJohn LeBlanc & CFW Group

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Combat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Combat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: John LeBlanc & CFW Group
    Posted: 18/February/2008 at 5:04am

Hello,

Well...I'm in the same boat as most of you.  Went to school to better myself...bank gave me a loan that was bigger than it needed to be.....couldn't get work in the field I trained for, for whatever reason, and could not make payments....

I got the interest relief and all that.  After that...came the debt recovery people.  Some were good, some were down right ignorant.  Those were the ones I usually hung up on!!  I did end up with a decent agent and was making payments for a while.  But they switched agents and this new one wanted to "Up the Ante" (so to speak) and tried to get me to pay A WHOLE LOT MORE than what was agreed.  I was also told that "I didn't have a choice....”  Well....as far as I'm concerned, I ALWAYS HAVE A CHOICE!!!  I told them this is what I can pay and that is it!!  They never called again.

So about a year later, I heard from a company that uses what's called "Aggressive Negotiation Tactics".  Basically, you have 2 weeks to pay the total amount, no payment schedules....lots of bad mouthing, not interested in what you have to say, unless it's "...yes I will have the complete amount paid in full tomorrow....."....pay all or court!!

And out of nowhere....the same thing happens to my "Bride to be"...and her debt is huge and it's already gone to court!!!

I had finally had enough of this crap.  I'm freaking out. I'm thinking that people are coming to take our stuff....we will be locked out of our apartment...they are going to take my van that I just got (and that was a threat to me from the ones I was dealing with).....worst case scenario!!!  I go over to a friend of mine, outta my mind, and he starts Googling and finds "Canada Student Debt" and we start looking through the site.

We find that there is this "Johnny" guy and he seems to the "Go-To" guy.  So I post a question to him and find out that he has a business that helps out people in our position and tries to set up payment schedules that are manageable and get people on the road to paying off the debt.

Everything is almost done for us. The price that we are paying is a small price (when you look at it) to pay compared to a lawyer who will probably charge $300 every time he thinks of you in passing!!!  John is a great guy!!  He talks to you like you are a person, not a number. He also puts you at ease and explains to you how things work and that this is not as bad as it seems.  You just need to be educated on how to handle this.  If you follow what he says, things will be fine, no more harassing calls, no more "I don't know that number, so I'm not answering the phone..", none of that. 

It's all in making the banks understand that we are not trying to skip out on our debt, but that things happen and some people need a little more time or to re-adjust their payments.  That’s where John comes in. he's like the mediator for you and whoever you are in default with.

John has been excellent.  I don't know why there are not more people like him around to help the thousands of people with debt issues (Student Debt or others).  It's worth every penny.  We will be able to make our payments and still be able to do things.  We might have to budget a bit, but so what!! 

I urge anyone out there who is having issues with debt, to call or email John.  He will work with you, he's not out to make a buck.  He's there to stop others from making a buck off of you.

Why do some people have to make things harder that they have to be?
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply