This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIf there was any doubt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
clayten14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clayten14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If there was any doubt
    Posted: 27/June/2008 at 7:46am
first off let me begin by telling you my story I'll  try to make it short.

I've been dealing with collection agencies with my canada student loan since my third year of university, because they started demanding payment when I was still in school, something about they lost or never received the continuing education form to state I was still a student. No one ever tried to fix this it just kept moving from agency to agency, I didn't qualify for or they lost my application for interest relief and ect..ect. They hadn't called for about a year when all of sudden this company collect com credit started calling me. Generally I was able to deal with collectors pretty well. I had done my research and all the reading about what they can and can not do to you. However collect com and their agents didn't seem to care what they were allowed to do or not do. In fact they called me and told me that my loan was due in full, threated legal action, and all that jazz. When I said I could only make payments they wouldn't take them. They proceeded to call my inlaws and told them to help me with a loan to pay up. When that didn't get any results they continually threatened legal action and to garnish my wages. They called me a dead beat and a low life and they thought it was their job to tell me how horrible of a person I was for not trying to pay them.

I looked on the back of the statement they had gave me and completed the step by step instructions to set up an automatic bill payment online through my account which I did. The next time the agent called I told them that I had done this and they flipped out. "who  approved these arrangments?" they asked. I told them no one did but I know that they can't refuse a payment and the amount was all I could do until September and then we'll look at it again. She proceeded to tell me that they are only authorized to accept the recommended minimum payment a month wich was $800 or I had to pay the debt in full. If I couldn't pay they were going to garnish my wages, harass my nieghbors and such.

I  finally got sick of dealing with these people and so was my family. I was surffing the internet looking for solutions when I came across CFW group and John Leblanc. I gave him a call and signed up for the intervention plan. That was the middle of May and I hadn't heard from collect com again until today. This is where the good part start. I got a call from an automated dialer which told me to press 1 to be connected for a very important call. At this point there was nothing that said it was Collect Com. A person picked up on the other end saying " is this (my name)" to which I replied yes it is. Okay i'll put you through. she patched me through to someone. when they picked up I realized that it was the agent I had been dealing with from the beginning. THe only thing is that she didn't call to tell me that my account was due, no, she proceeded to tell me that The CFW group and John Leblanc can't help people and that i'm better off dealing directly with them, the collection agency!. What a joke! Okay "thanks" I said and hung up.

I called John to tell him that they had contacted me, to which he replied "do want to have some fun for a change?" I said yeah sure. Okay, he said we will conference call them and you listen as i talk to them. Sure I said. He called them and right away we kinda got the run around we were put on hold and transfered to the managers phone which he never picked up so we went back to the secretaries desk, which didn't pick up either - so he transfered back to the secretaries desk (by pressing numbers a few times) which she finally picked up and he asked why he got put through to the managers desk when he had requested to be transfered to the specicif agents desk. She just said hold on please ... so we get transfered to the agents desk. John at CFW spoke to this collector and she was talking to him, asking how he was doing, how the weather was in Halifax, what was new and exciting,and that sort of stuff. This is the collector that was roasting him behind his back when she called me.  

Really all in all it was awesome to catch them lying like that. the whole time John was calm and really nice and professional which is amazing a says alot about his character, because honestly I would have been flipping out. The agent got a little flustered and even said I don't have to deal with this. It was hard not to cheer out loud. Anyway CFW group and John leblanc do what they say the are going to do. They are an organization with a level of integrity that is hard to find today. Collectors obviously feel intimidated by John at CFW Group, and I witnessed that first hand. It was awesome and really different to hear a nasty collector suddenly become humble and put in her place! Thank you for what your doing and what I know you will do. Thanks again for the peace of mind

C

Sorry this is so long

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply