This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedcfw group

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tuscadero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuscadero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cfw group
    Posted: 02/January/2004 at 6:26am
at the beginning of december i found myself in some
student loan trouble. it had been a while since i
made a payment and they were pulling out all the
stops (the collection agencies). the deal like
garnishing wages and the like. that's when i found
this site. and also when i found cfw group.

at first i was sceptical 'cause it seemed too good to
be true, but service has been great. i have been
dealing with John who posts on these boards all the
time. He has been a tremendous help and has been
keeping the wolves at bay.

he does charge for his services, but it is reasonable
and totally worth it if only for the piece of mind tfhat
there is something out there after totally screwing
your credit and coming out to your employer and the
whole deal.

worth contacting for sure. i know that he posts his
email at the end of his posts.

he is my liaison with the cagnecies for the next while
and is essentially "managing" my loan payments. he
is a nice guy and tres knowledgable. it is quite
empowering to know the rules and he shares a lot of
his information so that you have a clue.

-t
Sponsored Links

jamjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2004 at 5:21pm

I would recommend John LeBlanc of the CFW Group.  He is also known as "Johnny" or "help is here" on the website forums.

John provides a tremendous amount of support and knowledge.  There are services that he charges for, however, he is quite generous with his time and again, his advice.

John provides reassurence and helps to calm fears.  For many of us, lack of knowledge and perspective can create great fears within us.  Once you talk to John those fears seem to subside slowly.  He is patient, attentive, and genuinely concerned about your financial and emotional well-being.

John is currently assisting me to navigate through the student loan minefield. 

Marginal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marginal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/February/2004 at 7:15am

I also would like to recommend John Leblanc at the CFW Group.

Communicates clearly and positively, very generous with time and info. I think these services would be very worth paying for. It was interesting to hear that he has plans to do pro-active information workshops so that hopefully people can avoid these minefields BEFORE we drop into them as students.

I don't know if someone else said this, but it's true -- after the first phone call, I felt a great weight had lifted from my shoulders.

I will be able to leave "rabbit in the headlights" mode and start dealing effectively with student loan problems with John's input and assistance.

Thanks!

Marginal Gal

Edited by administrator
swainsong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swainsong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/February/2004 at 6:39am

Finally, Johnny and the CFW Group seem to be getting some of the recognition they deserve.

When my CSL reared its ugly head again after declaring bankruptcy almost a decade ago, I was at my wits end and scrambled to try and find some significant help and advice. Lawyers wanted more than I make in a month just for a retainer, and I couldn’t find a single one who knew anything meaningful about student loans anyway. Debt Counsellors, Trustees, and their ilk had already failed me once and I dreaded having to go that way again.

John is the only person I’ve found that actually specializes in student debt, and I wouldn’t have found him if it wasn’t for this site that Mark so graciously established. Johnny’s service provides factual knowledge, an insider’s insight, intervention or representation when and where needed, and follow-up financial counselling and support. But most importantly he helps you believe in yourself, and best of all the CFW Group fee-structure is tailored to reflect what its clientele can afford to pay.

My problems are far from being resolved but thanks to the CFW Group they no longer seem so insurmountable and overwhelming. And thanks again, Mark, for giving us this forum to fight back.

Edited by swainsong
Isabelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isabelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/February/2004 at 2:02pm

I also would recommend that if you are struggling with Student Loan difficulties that you please call John LeBlanc with the CFW. I called him very recently about what I was dealing with regarding my loans -- it wasn't pretty -- and I have to say that it was so relieving to finally find someone who is on my side. First (and most importantly) he calmed me down and made me see that what these people were doing to me was wrong and causing me more stress than I could possibly handle. Second we dealt with the problem together. He let me see that these people were lying to me and playing all sorts of underhanded games with me to get me to pay more money in less than 24 hours than I could possibly pull together in 3 months. We are still very much in the early stages of dealing with this but it doesn't seem so hopeless to me now and I believe without doubt that this person will not provide me with a 'Band-Aid fix' to this problem but will help me to work out a solution for the long-term. I say this because he does not hold back information and is very generous with his time and his patience.

There is a fee associated with getting John to help you out, but I can assure that it will be money well spent. I am not afraid to pick up my phone at work anymore. I am not afraid of going into my bank account and finding my money gone. I am not afraid that someone is going to take half of my paycheck from me. I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders and that, my friends, is priceless.

Isabelle

"If you want to walk on water, you've got to get out of the boat!!!"

-John Ortberg

calliastro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calliastro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/March/2004 at 1:35pm

I'd like to give a strong recommendation to John LeBlanc of the CFW Group. I found out about him here on the forums and am very grateful for the service he provided me with.

I had been contacted by a collection agency due to defaulting on my student loans and while I tried to deal with the agency they were hostile and threatening even tho I did want to pay them. Being a nervous person and having just recovered from illness I was very afraid that if I had to deal with the collection agencies mistreating me I would once again become ill. Collection agencies use various tactics to instill fear and urgency and the problem is that on some people, they do work. I happen to know myself well enough to know I'm one of those people and that worried me a lot.

I went searching on the net trying to find information on how to deal with these people and found this board (and I think it's a fabulous site thank you for keeping it up Mark) I looked thru all the information here and also noticed John's postings. It was the answer I needed and he's been just so great at putting an end to the stress that dealing with the collection agencies was causing. Within a week I could breathe easy and I am making payments happily without any more phone calls demanding more.

John knows all the ins and outs when dealing with these agencies and is a service well worth looking into. It costs money but in my case, I can only say; well worth the cost! I don't have to worry about answering my phone or the phone calls that were embarrassing me at work and best of all I can pay off my loan in an orderly manner with a payment schedule that I can afford.

Calliastro

Post Reply Post Reply