This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGreat News!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amberarm23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amberarm23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great News!!
    Posted: 06/March/2009 at 5:36pm
Received a letter with my monthly CSL (in default- was in collections but after paying over half its back with the govt)..

"Effective June 2009, the CRA will no longer be using the services or private collection agencies (PCAs) to collect defaulted Canada Student Loans (CSL) debts. All defaulted CSLs will be collected by the CRA....."

At least you can complain if you're being abused by the Govt.

I think this is a good thing!
Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2009 at 3:45am
Get ready for harsher times.
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amberarm23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2009 at 4:27am
Since my loan was returned to the govt from collections I haven't heard from them once. I make payments they cash them.

Why do you think its going to be worse?
paulaffleck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulaffleck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2009 at 5:59am
Instead of constant collection agencies' calls, CRA will simply reach out and seize your bank account funds and garnish your wages. 

But those nasty calls will stop.

If you can't pay and CRA does not believe you?  It's probably not a good thing.
Blue_Thunder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue_Thunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/March/2009 at 5:55pm
Been a while since I have been posting anything here, but I do agree with paulaffleck and Johnny that things could get nastier. After all, you have the close affiliation of Human Resources and Skills Development Canada and the Canada Revenue Agency working directly side by side without the notorious middle man known as the collection agency.

Anyhow, I got the very same letter myself. Right now, I cannot allow a situation to occur where my bank account could be potentially seized and/or a garnishment be attached to my wages. That is the unfortunate reality - CRA knows your bank account information because you need a SIN # to sign up for a bank account and they know where you work.

Right now, I am in great situation with my credit score going up because I am rebuilding my credit slowly through a couple small lines of credit and a new car bought last year - a Hyundai Accent (nothing luxurious by any means) whose payments come out of my bank account automatically every two weeks. This is the only way I think that I can get my credit re-established enough in the foreseeable future to enable me to possibly take out a low interest loan with lower payments to retire this debt.

The rest of my take home pay does not allow hardly any disposable income - afterall, I live in cowtown (Calgary) where living costs have skyrocketed since moving here from Newfoundland in 2005. I basically went from getting no gainful employment such as dead end minimum wage jobs, EI, or social assistance for the first 6 years after leaving school and then moved to Alberta and traded one set of problems for another: Lots of jobs, but still nothing in my field meaning that I had to settle for work paying significantly less than $20.00 an hour. That salary would be fine in Newfoundland, but out here in Alberta it isn't. I cannot do very physically demanding work, that could pay more, and nor can I take a second job, due to having a sleep disorder that I have had for more than a decade which tires me out almost every single day.

Thus, I have not found a way to win - to get ahead. I move to Alberta for the jobs only to find virtually all of my take-home pay going towards the essentials of life. My wife makes about the same as I do, but she has other obligations too that she had before we met and got married. Her salary cannot help me out at all. We had to get a car that was cheap, affordable, and reliable and we somehow were able to finance it with Zero % and Zero Down. I do not want everything that my wife and I fought for these last 3.5 years since I moved to Alberta to be all for not due to my bank account being seized and/or my wages being garnished.

I want to pay off my pesky student loans, but no matter what I have tried to do, I am powerless to do anything about it. Once my credit becomes becomes better established, and have more collateral and/or better paying work, I want to retire this annoying fungus.

I have one message for those lacky MP's, and Stephen Harper's constituency office which is in Calgary, that the gloves are off if I get a fast one pulled on me without me knowing it. In other words, there better be a chance for me to plead my case in court should this bridge  need crossing. Even if I get taken into court and have fully disclosed any pending action against me, and lose, the gloves are off again also.

I will do everything I can, that is within my legal limits, to make an example of the politicians who have done nothing to fix a broken and corrupt system that is ruining more people's lives than they are helping. Right now, I am not going to be too, too alarmed. But my guard will be watching this carefully.

Not saying that paulaffleck's remarks do not have any truth to them, but for Johnny and Mark here is the million dollar question: What actions can HRSDC & CRA execute and what are the procedures that they have to follow? I think I already know, but I want to hear it from those who have tons of experience with matters like these - no offense intended.
The greater access to higher education, as a result of student loans, has flooded the job market. Therefore, supply exceeds demand. Thus our credentials are not as valuable as, say, 30 years ago.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amberarm23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/March/2009 at 11:42pm
How does CSL seize money right out of your bank account? How much do they take? Do they need a judgement first? I have only heard of garnishing wages or the issuing bank taking money out of the account. 
Empty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Empty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2009 at 7:52am
I have been anxiously waiting to see if anyone might have an answer to amberarm23's question too.

Does CSL actually have the right to seize money from your bank account? How does that even work?

I realize the CRA knows where you have bank accounts due to SIN information. But do they have the right to see your banking activity and balances? And do they take other information into consideration first before making the decision to take action against you, such as how much income you are earning?
HamishG4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HamishG4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2009 at 4:17pm
I got a similar letter.  It also states that if you have a standing payment schedule with HRSDC, then no changes are required.  I started paying mine in November 2006 owing just under 12K, but now owe just under 3K.  They took my tax returns the past two year.  I will have it paid off by the end of the year.

I doubt that they would move immediately to garnishment, but I suspect that they will make it clear that they want it paid within a year, like all tax debts.
nu-guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nu-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2009 at 1:13am
Does anyone know if this applies to provincial student loans? ie. OSL.
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2009 at 2:41am

The government clawing back student loans from the collection agencies? If that is what you are wondering, then no, it does not apply to debts owed to the provincial government.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply