This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedClaim delivered by bailiff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
moonshadow48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonshadow48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Claim delivered by bailiff
    Posted: 23/November/2009 at 4:14am
I took out guaranteed provincial student loans from RBC and upon being unable to pay the debt, they reverted back to THE MINISTERE DE L'EDUCATION, DU LOISIR ET DU SPORT. I graduated in 1995. I believe the last contact I had with them was in 2003 or 2004. I didn't hear from them again until this year. I received a registered letter which I signed for stating that I was to pay back the loan immediately and if I didn't it would be sent to collections...I did not reply.

Today, a bailiff handed me a letter stating that they were appointed by the Ministere de l'Education to collect the amount due. If I do not comply within 15 days, they state that legal action will be taken against me.

I wanted to know if by signing for the registered letter and accepting the letter from the bailiff constitutes my acknowledgment of the debt?

Also, I would like to know how to go about finding out if I am stats barred.

Thanks for any advice or information you can give!
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonshadow48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/November/2009 at 12:45am
Anybody? I've tried searching the forums but am still confused about a lot of this. I could really use some help.
Iknowalotofstuff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iknowalotofstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/November/2009 at 3:56am
Federal Student Loans are granted under the Canada Student Loan Act and the Student Financial Assistance Act.  Go online and read the final sections of each act and you will find out what the limitations are regarding a student loan becoming statute barred.

Each province has legislation regarding provincial student loans.  Find that legislation and read it to find out what limitation period apply in your province.

mr.o View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr.o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/November/2009 at 9:45am
I started to reply to this a couple days ago,reread your statement and quit. Questions tho...was it a baliff (with a license) . At first I assumed you were being sued,so if the info was being delivered to you,that is a good thing,in the fact that you will be able to appear before a judge and defend yourself,if you have a good defense. But then realized you were being threatened to be sued,which happens a lot, and sometimes never goes the distance. If a court appointed representative delivers a document to you personally, it sure has the all the indications of a court date,otherwise why bother,unless this is some stooge just to rattle you. You should clarify.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonshadow48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/November/2009 at 3:11pm
Thanks for the replies. The last contact I had with them was in 2003 or 2004. It's been 15 years since I graduated and due to life circumstances I have been unable to pay the loan back. They are now asking for over 45,000$ to be paid in full...I will never be able to pay this off.

I was laid off in March of this year and my last unemployment check is next week with no signs of a job in site yet.

Here is the letter that was hand delivered by a bailiff which has an official looking stamp on it that includes the words RINO RINALDI (someone's name?) CHJQ 590 and HUISSIER DE JUSTICE SIGNIFIE LE _____ here is where the guy signed with a date. I did not sign for it.

Dear Ms. XXXXX,

Subject: Claim regarding your student loan debt

We have been appointed by our client, the Ministere de l'Education, du Loisir et du Sport, to collect the amounts due in accordance with the contract you signed, which obliges you to repay the student loan that was granted to you. You can contact the debt collection officer in charge of your file at 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx, extension xxxx (toll-free).

You are hereby formally given notice that you must send us a certified cheque in the amount of $xx,xxx,xx, made payable to the Minister of Finance, within 15 days of the date of this letter. If you do not comply, legal action will be taken against you without further warning or delay.

We hereby request that you act accordingly.

signature
FORTIN, BARIBEAU (JUSTICE - QUEBEC)
ATTORNEYS FOR THE MINISTERE DE L'EDUCATION, DU LOISIR ET DU SPORT

Encl. Return envelope

c.c: Alain Caron
----------------------------------------------------------
I found this on the forum but it is from 2005 so am not sure if this has changed. It's been a minimum of six years since I acknowledged the loan but if what Johnny wrote below holds true it will be extended another 5 years before it becomes statue barred. I am trying to hold it together and not become anxious or fearful but it's pretty difficult. I am still recovering from the loss of my mother in October and this on top of that has me stressed to the max. So any and all help or suggestions are most welcome!

Quote Hello everyone,

I have compiled some of my research into different Provincial statutes. I thought I would share this with you all so you will have a better understanding of the Provincial statutes in Quebec.

The statutes of limitation for Quebec student loans are 5 years from the date of last activity, payment, or acknowledgment. Now, Quebec law allows the limitation period to be interrupted during its course only once. This interruption would occur when the Department head of the Student loan sector issues a Final Demand in writing to the borrower  to their last known address.

So, once a Quebec loan is due to become barred, and there has been no interference by the department head to prolong the life of the loan, it is then barred after 5 years.

If the loan is due to become statute barred, the government can cause the loan to survive another five years by issuing this Final Demand notification.

No other province has this statute.

I thought I would share this information to those who have guaranteed Quebec loans, and are under legitimate financial restraints. If people have any questions, feel free to ask.

John LeBlanc
The Canadian Financial Wellness Group
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iknowalotofstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/November/2009 at 6:42pm
You have a $45000.00 student loan.  At a nominal interest rate of 6%, the interest is $275.00 per month now.  If you want the loan to go away, see a trustee about bankruptcy or a proposal.  You have been out of school for 7 years.  No harm in investigating if as you say you can never pay it off.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonshadow48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/November/2009 at 6:52am
Thanks for the response. I've been out of school for 15 years now. I would rather not have to go bankrupt if I can avoid it. Could you explain what a proposal is?

Thanks!
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/November/2009 at 9:51am

You might also check into whether the loan is statute barred.

Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonshadow48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/November/2009 at 10:59am
Thanks Mark. I'm afraid that if I try to find that out it will somehow start the clock running again if it hasn't already begun. Is there a way to do that without acknowledging the loan?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iknowalotofstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/November/2009 at 3:02pm
Statute barred student loans are a rarity.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/November/2009 at 6:12pm
 with the banks and government losing info it can occur....    when they realize they are about to be stats barred, they sue.
Administrator
Mark OMeara

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonshadow48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/November/2009 at 2:09am
I'm figuring what happened is that they realized that the loan was going to become stats barred so that is why they are doing this now.

Is there a way I can have someone else find out for me if it is stats barred or close to becoming stats barred?

I don't want to reply to them or acknowledge them in any way to start the clock ticking on my own if it is close to being stats barred.

Thanks for all the help!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/November/2009 at 6:51am
John Leblanc at CFW Group can do this but just to be clear there are some fees involved.   Website is CFWGroup.ca  or 1-902-835-1210
Administrator
Mark OMeara

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonshadow48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/November/2009 at 9:59am
Thank you Mark!
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/December/2009 at 4:46am
Originally posted by Iknowalotofstuff Iknowalotofstuff wrote:

Statute barred student loans are a rarity.

Alright, let's be real. You are not speaking fact here. They are not a rarity at all.
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonshadow48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/December/2009 at 6:27am
Hi John,

I sent an email to you through your Website, CFWGroup.ca  and also called and left a message at 1-902-835-121 on the 27th of November. Would like to find out if the loan is statute barred or not. Have not received a reply?

Did I not phone the right number?

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/December/2009 at 6:34am

We used to have a stats barred forum on this site... its was one of the most popular forums for quite a while. The numbers are huge and not a rarity...

Administrator
Mark OMeara
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/December/2009 at 8:02am

Hey Moon,

I receive so many email and calls per day, you will ahve to nbe more specific. Go to the site and email from the contact us tab, and cite that you are "moonshadow" from CSD.ca. :)

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
slartibartfast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/February/2011 at 9:29am
What exactly does 'statute barred' mean in very simple language? I am extremely inept at legalese and pretty much anything financial.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2011 at 7:34am

An injury or claim cannot be pursued after a prescribed period of time has elapsed from the date of it's occurence. Ie: Barbie could not pursue Ken for the damages he did to her pink Porche because she took too long to proceed with an action against him. He who waits for the last apple usually gets the rotten one.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>