This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSo what can you tell me about....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Iknowalotofstuff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iknowalotofstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/December/2009 at 11:46am
"Interest only" is like treading water in the deep end ...  good exercise for a while ...  eventually you have to try something else or you drown.  If you have a $10000.00 loan at 6%, you pay $50.00 per month but the balance never changes.  Hope you do not drown.
Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/December/2009 at 3:30pm
CArlo won't drown, stuff.
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Broke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/December/2009 at 1:35pm
Wow, awesome thread. I'm thinking I might be part of the target demographic for this subject. I was prematurely convinced bankruptcy was the best call for my situation - lots of credit card debt from going to a university in Switzerland that my student loan didn't cover. I have enormous debt, but it is from getting two degrees and having a family. Didn't waste any money (other than perhaps what my degrees ended up being) and had a job throughout school. We've been doing the poverty thing for 15 years.

No one explained I was killing all interest relief and debt reduction qualifications, so the bankruptcy did what it was supposed to for the credit cards and kinda messed up everything with student loans. Anyway, long story short. I was discharged from a bankruptcy on a relatively small debt and instantly on the hook - with no relief - for a HUGE debt.

I have: 
48,000 AND 
28,000 loan with RBC
20,000 CAN-Sask loan
19,000 with HRSDC

THe RBC loans are in default (as far as I know because there has been a 2 year break in collections harassment and abuse). I just received a notice from a new collections agency about the RBC debt.

HRSDC sends monthly statements asking for a minimum of $885/month, and they add $115/month interest to my loan. They just called and based on my situation were wondering if I could commit to $120 a month to keep the interest at bay.

I am married, with 4 kids, my wife is at home full-time, our youngest is 2.
We pay $1,800/month rent in Victoria
I make $2000 - $3000 a month depending on the month (self-employed)

I have an MA and a BA and arguably neither have put me in a position to effectively pay my debt.

Aside from being a total drag, I cannot imagine being able to pay off these loans unless I get an unreal boost in income (which I would gladly prefer).

If there is any way, that my loans can be discharged from my previous bankruptcy (discharged January 2005), and I do not have to file for a second bankruptcy, it would be a phenomenal relief.

I can appreciate Johnny's points about avoiding bankruptcy and I think the ideal is to be able to pay it off (or perhaps have more forgiven/reduced). I had a certain amount forgiven each year I was in school, but the bankruptcy reversed all that, all debt reduction.

I won't overstate the dramatic stories and events that have punctuated the lameness - moving my family into the in-law's basement, being told by a collection agent I should recuse myself from my religion because no moral person would have such difficulty paying back loans - but it has been a pretty terrible theme.

I am intrigued by the approach suggested by iknowlotsofstuff. Does it really work? If you apply and fail do they drop the hammer on you?

If I can triple my income, its a non-issue - but until then I feel like I am walking around with a giant karma piano suspended above me - ready to drop at any moment.

Thoughts?

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iknowalotofstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/December/2009 at 4:23pm
Broke:
Here is link to a Nova Scotia court case where the bankrupt applied for hardship relief.
http://www.courts.ns.ca/decisions_recent/documents/2009nssc211.pdf

It demonstrates that I am not making this stuff up.  People really do get relief.

There are several other case to read on the Net with respect to this process.  If you read the above case, it is not that dissimilar than your case.  Income and amount of debt are different but the concept is the same.  This person went bankrupt, got discharged, could not pay his loan after bankruptcy, could not make reasonable arrangements, had acted in good faith, is experiencing financial hardship and was likely to continue to so.  The ruling of the Court rendered s. 178.1(g) inoperative in the bankruptcy and the student loans became subject to the earlier discharge.

There is no reason not to make an application.  You are contemplating a second bankruptcy.  This is an alternative if the s. 178 1.1 application fails.  Assume you apply and fail.  The student loan creditor sues you.  You make a second application and have the judgment as proof that you will have ongoing financial hardship.

Why not ask the moderator to give you my email address.  I will contact you and see what we can do.  I will help you through the process.
DB1972 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DB1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2010 at 4:10am
i did this whole procedure myself. It was abit involved, but successful nonetheless. It cost very little, 10 for the court, about 25 for notary, 20 for postage, and some gas money, time off from work. well worth the effort for me. and hours and hours of research figuring out how to do the affidavit's etc.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iknowalotofstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2010 at 6:54am
I am glad you were able to do this yourself.  Not everyone is that confident or competent to do it themselves.  Some may need help.  I provide that help.
seekinganswers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekinganswers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/May/2010 at 3:03am
Not sure what to expect next...
I have applied to have student loans discharged under previous bankruptcy and had my court date recently.  A reprensentative from SL showed up and asked for adjournment (due to needing more time to form their argument) and stated they intent to oppose my motion. 
Should I be looking into getting a lawyer?
I don't know what to expect next.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2010 at 6:51am

The only thing you can do right now is wait to hear their argument and allow the registrar to make his or her decision. I suspect it is the government of Canada who is opposing. If you have a solid argument and demonstration to back it up then you should be fine with that. The government opposes these motions quite a bit. It is usual protocol. Each case is uniqwue, of course. If your hardship can be demonstrated and the registrar is satisfied that your duties as a bankrupt have been fulfilled, and that your case warrants discharge on the premise of hardship with extenuating circumstances then I can't see why they won't grant you a discharge despite the opposition. The opposition would have to satisfy the registrar by demonstrating that you are able to pay.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
seekinganswers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekinganswers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/May/2010 at 3:55am
i was a little surprised to be honest. i did not expect that at all...and it made me feel very intimadated and scared.  i am meeting with a laywer this week to get some advice...i guess, i just don't know how to respond.  but hearing that they were going to oppose it made me feel really worried.
maybe that is what they want?
i don't know.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/May/2010 at 1:31am
The government simply wants to protect their own best interest, that's all. It is all up to the court in your case. They have heard your argument. Now they have to hear the Crown's. or whoever the opposition is. You will hear their argument in any event. Don't be intimidated. It is to be expected. You are obviously very clear in your demonstration. It all comes down to 2 things: 1) Who's argument is stronger, and; 2) What the registrar in the court proceedings decides.

solvestudentdebt.com
connieo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connieo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2010 at 5:21pm
Hi everyone,

This is a very interesting conversation.   I have some questions regarding filing the hardship application.  Can I file all these years after my discharge?  I had ongoing financial difficulties since my bankruptcy.  The last two years have been 'hand to mouth' despite my increased income.  

I was discharged from bankruptcy in 2003, out of school since 2001. (filed bankruptcy due to an illness which rendered me unable to work or to continue with my school). I was receiving Income Support for a year, returned to work (2500/month) for two years, on EI for a year and back on Income Support for a year.  I definitely demonstrate  d a financial hardship but still made payments on my Provincial debt, even if it was $5.00 a month. I haven't seen a tax refund since '03, made payments on my AB provincial loan & paid that off.   I've been working for the last two years (46,000/a)   I've been making $150.0./month payments to HRSDC for the past two years.   I raised 2 children in my single income home during this time.  One is still in school and financially dependant on me.  

Recently, Partners in Credit contacted me regarding my RBC loan. They have been very aggressive and rude, calling my work place and my home at least 10-12 times a day.   I decided to do some research before entering into a discussion with the collection agency.  It's not that I don't want to pay off my debts, but at the rate of my current payments...

Sorry, hope the verbage isn't too much

The collection agency hasn't made any effort to contact me since '03.. do you think they are hunting for me because of the statute of limitations?  I live in Alberta.  

Any help or advise would be appreciated,

connie
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2010 at 5:01am

In my opinion I do think that there is a limitation coming up. I would be careful with this one. If you do need help call me. I can navigate you in the process.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
Bandawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/August/2011 at 7:55am
hey Johnny - I would like to contact you concerning this issue ... let me know how, okay? thanks ;)
Broke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/November/2011 at 12:35pm
Hi there,
Where do I find more information on this? Forms for filing for hardship etc. Any help would be great, thank you.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/November/2011 at 1:01pm
Forms for what? Having the Canada student loan set aside due to a hardship with extenuating circumstances, or for a section 178 application? In the matter of a sec 178 application you can simply draft your hardship in a chronologicical, and include your income over the past 6 or 7 year period. If there is an economic and professional benefit received from the education you received though, you really have to get intot he nuts and bolts of the hardship and pinpoint those extenuating circumstances that prevent repayment of the student loans.

Do you want some professional guidance here? Or is your question just a general one relating to the location of government forms?

solvestudentdebt.com
Broke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/November/2011 at 1:10pm
Thanks Johnny. I have a previous bankruptcy and so I am interested in the 178 application and the ins and outs, what I have to file etc. I am not consistently employed as a result of my degrees (as in not benefitting professionally or economically), but I have worked on a couple contracts that were related to my education. over the past 7 years it is quite minimal and I've been primarily scrounging for work.

Professional guidance is great, but if you mean hiring you or your company I'd love to but money is too tight.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/November/2011 at 3:08am
If you can;t afford to hire someone to help you, all you have to do is demonstrate your hardship  It's really simple to do for anyone who is experiencing hardship with an extenuating circumstance - or more.

Demonstrate EXACTLY what tyou said in your above post. That is the nuts and bolts of what these demonstrations and applications are all about. If you cannot pay it then you cannot pay it History supports it, and your current situation supports it.

The problem people face here is that the system requires proof of hardship, proof of the extenuating circumstances, and proof of what your intentions are. Telling your story is easy. Proving it sometimes is challenging though. The burden of proof is always on the bankrupt to provide factual proof in cases of sec 178 applications.

Organize your facts - and gather proof that backs up those facts. 

In my opinion, I think it would be more advantageous to apply to the government of Canada (HRSDC) for relief due to hardship. Who the heck do you owe here anyway?

solvestudentdebt.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/November/2011 at 4:03am
I was referring to who the $48K debt you cited intyour previous message in addition to the three student loans.

solvestudentdebt.com
Broke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/November/2011 at 5:24am
Thanks again Johnny, this is very helpful info. I am starting to organize all my data and proof. Is it normal/legal for them to want to see bank statements?

The 48k was a blend of provincial and RBC - I believe it is all owed to RBC but a chunk was guaranteed by the gov, and then they switched systems to the blend with HRSDC.

For a few years I have been getting monthly statements from HRSDC because I was paying a $50/month goodwill payment on a balance of $40,000 ($175/month interest). Then in April my monthly statement stopped listing the Can-Sask Loan and my balance owing dropped to $20,000. No details, no letter, just a drastic change in April of 2011. Each statement since has only listed one loan.

Any idea why that might be? 

Tbeets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbeets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/January/2014 at 12:42pm
I so need help with applying for this, I am lost and overwhelmed at all this and have not a good life at the moment! any help would be great ??
tbeets
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12