This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCIBC Student Loans & Collections

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CIBC Student Loans & Collections
    Posted: 11/February/2010 at 3:52pm

Collection agencies will attempt to pursue someone legally even if the debt is statute barred. Their immediate hope is that the individual is not aware of it. I am seeing a few recent cases whereas collection agencies are doing this. In one most recent case of ours, the individual was able to demonstrate the matter and the attorney acting for CIBC (and NCO) went into a desperate frenzy by taunting and interrogating her. The adjudicator immediately cited that his (the lawyer's) behavior was quite "unorthodox". 

My client was forced by this collection agency to walk through a minefield - blindfolded. She walked through this minefield knowing the location of EVERY landmine. Awareness is everything.

The message here is this. Don't fear the bullies within the financial community. They have to create fear in order to prey on it. If you feel that the financial industry has wronged you or violated you in any way, all you have to do is come here and share information - and receive information. 

I will update on other cases at a later date.

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Sponsored Links

winnipeg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winnipeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/February/2010 at 12:03pm
I have to agree.  I was a client that went through such an experience.   AWARENESS IS THE KEY AND YOU WILL GET THAT AWARENESS BY CONTACTING JONNY.  He knows it.  The minimal fee is more than worth it and a bargain for what you get.  You couldn't do better.

It is important that you educate yourself.  I spent almost three weeks emailing Jonny and when I went to court I was prepared and able to understand what I had to do and say no matter what the collection agency's Lawyer tried.  YOU NEED TO KNOW KNOW WHAT YOUR OPTIONS ARE

It is important to understand that the financial laws and institutions are not user friendly and you need the right advice.  I tried many avenues and was misguided until I contacted Jonny.  If you are unsure or hesitant please write me.  Don't do this alone. 

Iknowalotofstuff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iknowalotofstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/February/2010 at 4:08pm
Who or what is the "adjudicator" that you refer to in paragraph one.
tdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/February/2010 at 5:01pm
This will become more common, especially with homeowners and people employed that are unlikely to leave their jobs soon.

The hope is that the 'debtor' doesn't file a defense out of laziness or that they fear judgment enough to pay right away. If you file a defense, at the very least, it increases the agencies costs for going for judgment and extends the time period they can start executing on the judgment.

ALWAYS file a defense and seek professional help if you're served for a debt. There are more options available to people the quicker they act.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/February/2010 at 1:40am
Stuff, you know what I meant. You know what an adjudicator is. You are a lawyer, or appear to be. I still don't know because I have asked you a few times here and you would not give a response. Anyway, an adjudicator is someone who presides, judges and arbitrates during a formal dispute. The term adjudicator essentially means a judge of some sort. A Justicve of the Peace can adjudicate a small claims hearing. In Layman's - someone who studies and settles conflicts and disputes. 

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Iknowalotofstuff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iknowalotofstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/February/2010 at 2:28pm
I live in Ontario.  That is my frame of reference. In Ontario, there are judges in SCC / Superior Court.  In Bankruptcy Court, there are registrars and judges.  In Ontario, Justices of the Peace have no civil authority.  While I am educating myself about the SCC etc. in other provinces, you made mention of an "adjudicator".  My question was sincere in trying to find out if the "adjudicator" was something different.  In Ontario, there are mediators.  I was simply trying to put your comment in a context that I was familiar with.  

With respect to your specific post, I was unsure what you meant by the word "adjudicator".  In many of your post you make positive reference to negotiating resolutions rather than using the court or bankruptcy, so I was unsure what you meant.  Thanks for the clarification. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/February/2010 at 1:23am
Someone has to make decisions in a courtroon. That would be a judge, or an official adjudicator.

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply