This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDeath By Student Loans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veristic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veristic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Death By Student Loans
    Posted: 23/December/2010 at 7:26pm
I have huge student loan debt, which is slowly killing me. I work three jobs, over 70 hours a week and still can't keep up with loan repayments. I currently pay $1500 in student loan repayments per month and I have fallen behind with rent and personal loans, resulting in ongoing calls for payment. Since I have a student line of credit and also old student loans, my payments are beyond my capacity to repay. I called the banks that have taken over the old student loan debt, and they all said that they can not reduce the minimum monthly payments. I am working so hard, barely eating anymore, can't sleep, and think that there is no way to resolve this. I don't know how to fix this problem. Lately I have been thinking that suicide might be the only option because I can no longer cope with this debt. 
Sponsored Links

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/December/2010 at 8:32am
Veristic,

I can understand the feelings of being overwhelmed. The stress of student loans can be extremely draining.  There is hope and support here on this forum. 

Remember that your rent, and living expenses and taking care of yourself should come first.  You obviously need help with these student loans and deserve that help. There are government programs, but the banks often fail to mention them or as documented in studies, help is often not available to those who need it the most. But we're here to help. 

First step is to provide some more info... what province are the loans from? Are they bank loans i.e. a line of credit or from the Canada Student Loan Program?   When did you go to school?   When did you finish?  Are you in default?  This info will really help us help you.

If they are loans from the Canada Student Loan Program, and if you loans are not in default you are should be eligible to apply for the RAP (Repayment Assistance Program)  program.  If your loans are in default there are ways to get out default and new rules that came out that can help you get back into good standing and eligible for the RAP program.

If your loans are in default, talk to johnny at CFWGroup  as he may be able to help intervene. He charges fees but may be able to keep collectors off your back.  Best thing you can do is to just talk to him and get things clearer as to what your options are.

And as we go through the xmas season, make sure you have support.  You've taken a good step here by posting on this forum.  And you should be most certainly commended for your efforts to make these loan payments - its a sign of a good character.

If you can provide the extra info: - when you went to school, when you finished school, and if the loans are in default or not, then we can certainly get started on some tactics to deal with this.

Keep us informed.  This site was created to help people like you!
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
fwhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fwhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2011 at 1:16pm
It is really hard to be buried so deep with all the loans that you have but that is the way life goes.  I hope you are doing good at the moment.

I can see that you are really fighting to be able to pay and I admire you for that. Some would just falter and leave what they started because they could not handle the pressure but you are still going for it. 
Jona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/July/2011 at 2:15pm
I keep hearing about the marvelous help from CFW. I have only got the same kind of round-around as the government. I was advised to default as I wasn't going to be heard otherwise. My health has suffered immensely through all this and I don't know how I can keep going. I am soooo stressed and I see no end in sight. John keeps telling me he will help but it has been 10 months and I am getting phone calls daily that I can't answer or cope with. I guess there is no one else. I don't know what I will do!
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2011 at 6:04am

Jona that is a serious exaggeration. There is no run around - and you are not even a client. You have no means to keep the loans active. What else are you going to do? It is either good standing or default. If you end up in default I said I would help you deal with the bullies. I have been giving you my time for a LONG time now to help you understand the system, and coach you on how you can effectively deal with this tragic system for months and months and I have not charged you a penny. You call without appointments and you demand my time on your agenda. This has got to stop. I know you are stressed but the problem is not you or I - it is the system and it's relentless need to enslave Canadians in debt that, in a lot of cases, will out-live it's slave.

If you want me to help you then please approach this the right way. Email me or my assistant and schedule an appointment, open a file, secure payment, and then proceed. I told you I will coach and navigate you - and intervene when necessary at a very low cost, which has not been paid.  

I told you time ago that you can come to me for assistance once the system starts to pursue. For 10 months I have been coaching and giving you very good advice in respect to how this will all play out for you from a hardhsip perspective for free. I decided to help you because you were clearly stressed and emotional.  Intervention would begin once it is time to move forward on the various hardship demonstrations. I would like to do a lot more for people at no cost but I can't do that anymore.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply