This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRepayment Assistance Plan heads up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dingo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repayment Assistance Plan heads up
    Posted: 22/February/2011 at 6:12am
I've just ended a 45 minute phone call to NSLSC regarding my Repayment Assistance application.  I contacted them on January 21 and spoke to a very polite, pleasant and helpful guy -- I was shocked, as you all probably are, so shocked that I agreed to do their survey at the end of the call.  Anyway, he sent out the form and I filled it in per his very specific instructions, and mailed it back the same day I received it, on February1.  The instructions were to fill in Column 1, but to leave Cols. 2 and 3 blank.

On February 21 I received a letter from them stating that they are unable to process my application because there is information missing.  That's right, the information in Col. 2, the information I was specifically told not to provide.  Note that this letter states that the required information is missing, not that they need additional information.

Of course, they're "experiencing higher than normal call volumes" today, so I was unable to speak with a supervisor.  I've been given a special fax number and told to fax in the details.  I think I'll fax it to both numbers and mail it as well.  Even sending it by fax it will apparently take them 5 (FIVE!) business days to process the application once it's been received...

Meanwhile, the main reason I was calling was because I also have a loan through RBC, and the due date for next month's payment is fast approaching.  NSLSC assured me that RBC is aware I have an application pending and payments would therefore be on hold.  Not believing a word they say, I called RBC to be informed that, no, payment is still due on March 1.  Having been through the process once before a couple of years ago, and having been told that time that payments would be on hold, I inquired as to whether this had changed, only to be told that, no, RBC have never had a policy of putting payments on hold.  Their advice?  Just miss the payment; they won't report it until March 30.  Great.

By the way, I asked NSLSC what their current policy is regarding the instructions they give for filling out RAP forms. I was told that the policy is to tell people whose loans are currently in good standing to fill in Col. 1 but not Cols. 2 and 3, even though all three columns only require a simple declaration, not documentation (people whose loans are not in good standing are required to fill in all three columns and provide documentation). This is clearly insane give that at least some applicants will be asked to provide more information.  Bear in mind it took 12 calendar days to receive their letter, and that's counting from the day after the date on the letter.

Anyway, my suggestion for those filling out RAP forms is to simply provide the information in Col 2, which is regarding your income for the month prior to the application.  It could very well save you a month and a lot of irritating phone calls.

Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/February/2011 at 7:04am
Describe this survey for us will ya?
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Dingo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/February/2011 at 12:44pm
It's just that automated customer service survey: "were you satisfied with the service you received today? Press 1 for yes" etc.
bulldoglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulldoglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/February/2011 at 2:20pm
I used to work with RAP(and before that IR, and Debt Relif) applications.
If only I could express the multitude of times while reading a persons file I would literally have to LOOK AWAY in disbelief of the mis-information and utter nonsense they were put through. 

Sadly by the time I left it was more often than not that students were misinformed. The call centres 'good employees' I could count on my hands. The turnover rate seemed large, and due to the sheer knowledge you would need for that job most of them just didn't know. Plus the fact that there were call centres all over the country, one in particular that literally was on a different planet than everyone else. Very very sad.

Dingo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/March/2011 at 8:34am
"Literally" on a different planet? 

Anyway, after an hour and a half on the phone today I was able to identify one of the problems: because I made my January payment on the 25th instead of the 31st, they backdated my application to January 1.  They did this without informing me or asking my permission. 

They also lost the information they required me to fax them, although they received the duplicate that I sent by mail, delaying my application another 5 business days.  By the way, on their instruction I had faxed the info to a special number in order to guarantee that it wouldn't get lost.

I didn't want my application backdated of course: backdating it means that I would have been covered by RAP for a month in which I had paid more than I needed to, and would effectively reduce my RAP period to 5 months instead of 6.  Getting that straightened out took about half the time I spent on this call and required speaking to three different people. Now it will take an additional 6 business days to process the application.  I began this process on January 21, and the projected date for finishing it is now March 11. 
tc249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tc249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2011 at 6:45pm
I have filled out that form everytime I apply for Interest Relief and usually column 1 is income for current month payment due, column 2 for previous month that payment was due and column 3 is for last two months of income made for that last two loan payments were due.  I have had to re-apply every 6 months and provide all documentation of my income every time, since i have been permanently disabled for 3 years now. And on my last re-application two weeks ago, I was told that it will take 8 weeks to process and receive a response.  Since, your loan is with RBC I would call them and tell them that you have applied for repayment relief and NSCLS is reviewing your application.  But do call NSCLS every two weeks to check that your application is being processed.Smile
PD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/April/2011 at 8:32am
If you are disabled, please contact the Canadian Human Rights and file a complaint for discrimination.  Although my complaint has some specific grievances due to personal  circumstances there are numerous general reasons for the disabled to file an official complaint. 

- The time to process applications - days vs months. 
- Lack of direct access to Canada Student Loans who process the RAP-PD
- Shorter service hours than the NSLC who processes regular RAP. 
- Lack of disclosure of application requirements. I don't know about you but the instructions I receive clearly state do not include proof of income.  However, if you are RAP-PD they will not process your application without it.  So the disabled are supposed to be mind readers as well? 
- Money that is not considered income for the able bodied is used as income for the disabled - this may not apply to everyone depending on circumstances.

Heads up, check to see if all of your RAP-PD applications have actually been approved as such and not regular RAP.  As my first application made in November 2009 is not being treated as PD even though I checked off the box for permanently disabled.

BE AWARE,  even if you always qualified for Interest Relief and all your previous RAP-PD applications have been approved for zero affordable payment you may suddenly be asked to make back payments as Canada Student Loans is treating the disabled different than when NSLC processed applications.

Post Reply Post Reply