This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSection .178 Hardship Provision

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shannon8463 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shannon8463 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Section .178 Hardship Provision
    Posted: 28/May/2012 at 6:34am
Hi there,

I find myself in a difficult situation supporting my husband and three children. My husband is no longer able to work due to a very serious heart condition and we are now a single income family. My income is only enough to support our basic needs and does not even meet all our obligation.

I was discharged from Bankruptcy in March 2007 and last attending school April 2003. We have exprienced a great deal of financial hardship over the last few years due to my  husband's health issues and a couple other circumstances beyond our control. In the midst of all this my student loans have now been sent back to government for collections. I am not able to make any payments and do not see being able to do so in the future.

From what I have read I think I will be able to apply to have my loans discharged in on previous bankrucptcy. I am hoping for some advise on who to get things going in this process. I live in Ontario. Has anyone has sucess and if so can you share with me the steps I need take to present my case to the court?

Thanks!

Shannon
Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/May/2012 at 6:51am
You can draft up your own presentation and then apply for a hearing in bankruptcy court to have your case heard.

What you need to focus on here is demonstrating your the hardship and any extenuating circumstances, especially the student debt is causing, and your inability to repay it.

Some key points in any Section 178 application are as follows:

1) Illustrate that you have acted in good faith in respect to your prior bankruptcy, and your actions concerning the student loan(s). THis is imperative.

2) Explain why you are unable to repay the student loan, why it should be discharged, and all of the circumstances (those are extenuating circumstances) that prevent you.

3) Be sure to create an income statement showing your income history from the time you ceased studies - up to 6 years after (or as many as you see necessary).

4) Basically, show that your intentions were and are good. If you give them any reason to believe that your intentions are not good, or that there is insufficient information to base a decision on, then that would be bad.

Do you need analysis and coaching with this? if so, let me know.

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shannon8463 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/May/2012 at 6:58am
Hi Johnny,

Thanks so much for your fast reply. Yes, I think a little help would be good. Can you tell me what the next step would be?

Thanks!

Shannon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shannon8463 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/May/2012 at 7:56am
The next step being analuis and coaching. I understand there would be fees involved. Would you please contact me to give me an idea of the cost involved?

Thanks!

Shannon
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/May/2012 at 8:23am

It is just under $110.00. So, it is certainly not expensive. I need to understand your situation from the bottom up so once you are ready let me know. Don't be in a rush with this though.Smile  When finished you will have a VERY comprehensive analysis tool that you can use to formulate what it is that you are trying to do.

Johnny   
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shannon8463 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/May/2012 at 8:52am
Ok, thanks. I did talk with a laywer today and she said to use her services it would cost $3000 - $3500. In comparison, would your help run along these lines from start to finish?
 Post Reply Post Reply