This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - If I settle will my loan show up on my credit repo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIf I settle will my loan show up on my credit repo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tarka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If I settle will my loan show up on my credit repo
    Posted: 05/October/2012 at 1:22am
I have an old Scotiabank student loan which is with ARC. I have been making small monthly payments on the loan, but now I have the money to settle the debt (currently being offered a $4000 settlement on a $17000 student loan). The loan is not showing on my credit report. If I do pay them the offered settlement, will it show up on my credit report? I will be applying for a mortgage in the next few months and don't want anything negative showing up on my report.
Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2012 at 5:02am
Well, if Scotiabank does accept it, they can report it if it lawful to do so. However, if the debt has been report once already for the prescribed 6-year period, then it would be against the rules to report it again. There are limitation issues with reporting too. Smile

If this is the case then I can help you deal with this real quickly - if the debt was barred from reporting prior.

Did you receive a letter of conditions accepting the offer? It is a very old loan and was probably barred from recovery prior as well. I see those ones daily.

Johnny  
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
tarka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2012 at 5:52am
My student loan dates back to 1999. I was paying on it for a year or so, but after some unforeseen circumstances (which eventually led to a bankruptcy in 2001, the loan was sent to collections. I don't know if the loan was ever reported after it went to collections, but I have been making monthly payments to ARC for about 3 years and it hasn't been reported since then. Prior to that the loan was with CBV collections and I was also making monthly payments to them.
tarka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2012 at 5:53am
I got a letter back in August from CBV stating they would accept a $7200 settlement. They called yesterday offering a $4000 settlement.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2012 at 7:55am
Yes but you have to be careful with this sort of thing. agencies are throwing around all sorts of attractive offers. THeir goal is to see how quickly you come up with money and then they have something to sink their teeth into. It is an age old collection tactic. They can come back and say "well, our client won;t accept it, but they will accept $10,000, and you can give us your $4000.00 and make payments on the other 6 ...." I see this sort of tragedy all the time.

Unless it is in writing, and it does not say "subject to the bank's approval", or "upon receiving a financial disclosure", and it clearly states that the debt will be closed once the payment is made, I wouldn't be too excited.

Collectors working barred loans, or really aged accounts like yours appears to be, do this frequently. Once you flash money at them they go crazy. It's fishing, simply put.

Go get a letter and let me look at it and I will tell you if it real, or if you can actually go lower in settlement perhaps. I have seen it all! LOL

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
tarka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2012 at 8:07am
I have only been making payments of $75 per month on the $17000 loan. I am a single mother and with daycare payments this has been all I can afford. When they called yesterday they gave me the speech about how I am barely covering the interest on the loan and that the bank is not going to continue letting me off with these low payments. That's when he said I could settle for $4000. Should I call and ask for a letter?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2012 at 3:39am

Yes, you should immediately do that before anything. Even before you go scrape up any money. THat way you are not wasting your time and putting yourself at risk.

If you want me to check this out and safeguard you I can do that very quickly. I will also gather a written confirmation for you and help make this process easy for you.

Not expensive at all because it will only take an hour if it is all legit.

Johnny   

solvestudentdebt.com
tarka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2012 at 7:49am
That sounds great! What exactly would you be checking for me?
footloose View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote footloose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2012 at 11:02am

Whether you settle this student loan with ScotiaBank or with ARC or with CBV collection agencies, one of the conditions of being a member of either credit bureau be it Equifax or TransUnion is that all collections must be reported. This includes the monthly payments that you are currently making to ARC.

You stated in your original post that you had made an Assignment in Bankruptcy in 2001 and, of course, included this student loan in the bankruptcy. However, because your "end of study date" was less than 7 years from the date that you made an Assignment in Bankruptcy as required by Subsection 178(1) of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act ( BIA ), this student loan survived the bankruptcy. While you did not indicate in your post, I will assume that your Discharge was 9 months after you made an Assignment in Bankruptcy. After your Discharge, the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy ( OSB ) would have reported this to both credit bureaus and this would remain on your Credit Report for 6 or 7 years depending upon your province of residence.

If you review your current Credit Report, you will notice that the bankruptcy is not shown. You will also notice that there is no listing for ScotiaBank under "TRADE" accounts and no listing for ARC or CBV under "COLLECTION" accounts.

HERE'S WHY

Your bankruptcy was "purged" after the 6 or 7 year time period.

When you defaulted on your student loan with ScotiaBank, that was reported to both credit bureaus. The account with ScotiaBank will then remain in the "TRADE" section of your Credit Report for 6 years from the "Original Date of Default with the Original Creditor". After this date, this account will then be "purged" from your Credit Report. If this account with ScotiaBank is assigned to a collection agency or agencies for recovery or is sold to a debt buyer, it will also appear in the "COLLECTION" section of your Credit Report with the "Original Date of Default with the Original Creditor". That means that the account listed in the "TRADE" section and this account that has been assigned to a collection agency or agencies or sold to a debt buyer that is listed in the "COLLECTION" section will have the identical "Date of Default" and all of them will be "purged" at the same time.

Once an account has been "purged", whether it appears in the "TRADE" section or the "COLLECTION" section, it can NEVER be re-listed on a Credit Report. This includes Federal student loans that are "statute-barred" even if a student loan borrower has acknowledged the debt after it became "statute-barred" thereby re-setting a further 6 year limitation period. In other words, it's like water over the dam....................GONE FOREVER.

As I indicated earlier, all members of a credit bureau MUST report all collections received whether it is made on behalf of a "TRADE" account or a "COLLECTION" account. However, if an account has been "purged", the collection reported for the "purged" account will NOT appear on a Credit Report.

And now you know why your bankruptcy, the ScotiaBank account, the ARC and the CBV collection accounts do not appear on your Credit Report and never will again. If you are considering applying for a mortgage in the future, you now have "peace of mind" knowing that your defaulted student loan will not be an impediment for approval.

Educating one Consumer at a time
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2012 at 11:39am
I will find out if the settlement you are citing is in fact legitimate, and get the written criteria you need.
In respect of what Footlose said, and as I pointed out in my above post, there is a limitation period for reporting and reporting it again at a later date is against the rules. The peace of mind should be there in that regard, but first before you get settled with that, check your report to see if ARC or any collection agency has made an inquiry recently. Inquiries are there to alert credit grantors of who is looking at your credit history, as well as to grade based on credit seeking.

If you ever get questioned about an inquiry, that could wreck your day. So it is best to make sure that you identify the hazzards and correct them if possible.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
tarka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2012 at 1:16pm
I did check my equifax credit report a few weeks ago and there was no inquiries from any collection agencies. I think there may be an old one on my transunion report, as something did show up when I first started to apply for credit again. When I got the call from ARC last week, he was reading off a copy of a credit report to me, but it was a report from last year.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2012 at 7:01pm

They might do a check now so keep your eyes peeled on a new report sometime in the next week or two. See if they did. The danger with inquiries is that everybody talks to one another regardless of what the privacy laws. There is really no way to prove it. An example of this is how collection agencies are able to locate unpublished telephone numbers and cell numbers. They do collections for the phone companies and have contacts with them, so getting #'s is fairly easy, even the non pubs and such.

Another example is bankrupty. Banks don't "forget" and have the ability to harbor information. So, even though it may not be on a credit report, a bank can store it.

solvestudentdebt.com
footloose View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote footloose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2012 at 9:21pm

For as many years as I can remember ( at least 20 years ), both Equifax and TransUnion have permitted collection agencies and debt buyers to make "hard" inquires for debts that were either "statute-barred" or that had been "purged" from a Credit Report. All the Credit Reporting Acts of the Provinces and Territories clearly state that this practice is illegal, however, the legislation was never enforced.

In 2010, a consumer residing in B.C. requested a copy of her Credit Report from both Equifax and TransUnion and noticed that 3 different collection agencies had each made an inquiry on a "statute-barred" debt. She contacted both Equifax and TransUnion and requested the removal of these inquires to which both credit bureaus refused to comply citing that all the Credit Reporting Acts required a credit reporting agency to maintain a list of all inquiries for a minimum period of 1 year and by removing these inquires would be in contravention of the legislation.

She then contacted Consumer Protection BC and lodged an official complaint stating that this practice of making an inquiry on a "statute-barred" debt was in contravention of the B.C. Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act ( BPCPA ). Consumer Protection BC then examined the provisions of this Act in conjunction with the provisions of the B.C. Personal Information Protection Act ( PIPA ) and found that there was a conflict between the two Acts. PIPA provided for the inquiry but BPCPA did not. PIPA also provided in its legislation that if there is a conflict between PIPA and any other Provincial legislation that the provisions of PIPA would apply.

After much deliberation and examination of these 2 statutes, it was determined that collection agencies and debt buyers could comply with both BPCPA and PIPA ( i.e. make an inquiry on a "statute-barred" debt or a debt that had been "purged" ) providing the inquiry was a "soft" inquiry which only appears on a Consumer Disclosure Report and not on a Credit Report. Both Equifax and TransUnion along with the 3 collection agencies were notified of the decision of the Consumer Protection BC findings and were ordered to change their reporting practices. Equifax complied with the Order but TransUnion did not.

On April 24, 2012, a COMPLIANCE ORDER was issued to TransUnion and also filed in the B.C. Supreme Court thereby giving it the same effect as an Order issued by a Supreme Court Judge. TransUnion was given 30 days to comply with the Order. TransUnion did not comply nor did they file an objection to the Order. Instead, TransUnion filed for a Judicial Review in the B.C. Supreme Court. No date has been set for the Judicial Review

A Judicial Review is an application to a senior court such as a Superior or Supreme Court for a review of the particular legislation to determine if its provisions can be legally enforced.

In the meantime, Equifax shows all inquiries from collection agencies and debt buyers as "soft" inquiries and they will only be reported on a Consumer Disclosure Report. A Credit Report issued by Equifax and available to third parties will NEVER show an inquiry from a collection agency or a debt buyer.

On the other hand, TransUnion will continue to report inquiries from collection agencies and debt buyers as "hard" inquiries on both the Consumer Disclosure Report as well as the Credit Report even if the inquiry pertains to a "statute-barred" or "purged" debt. These "hard" inquiries shown on a Credit Report will be available to third parties.

Educating one Consumer at a time
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/October/2012 at 5:50am
Yes, Equifax does. That was the case when I worked with that bureau (Equifax Canada) two decades ago. Still though, banks harbour information and black market trading does occur. Thumbs Down
Collectors build their network sources for intelligence. Bank people do the same. So do government agents. They are all part of the same culture.  Bankruptcies and student loan issues are a point of interest for the consumer lending and credit industry.

solvestudentdebt.com
tarka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/October/2012 at 6:35am
I believe that the inquiry that was on my credit report last year was a Transunion report, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm so glad this site is available to us. If not I'd be believing everything the collection agencies are telling me!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/October/2012 at 11:16am
Collection agencies, non-profit credit counselling/debt pooling agencies, they are all one in the same. There is one truth with them - collect money, and do what you gotta do to produce, even through deception and coersion.

solvestudentdebt.com
tarka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2012 at 1:10am
Can the collection agency actually "force" me to come up with a lump some payment, or is this just a way for them to make more money. I know the payments I've been making on the account are small, but it is really all I can afford. Can they take further action against me like they threaten to do, or am I okay as long as I continue to make the monthly payments?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2012 at 1:54am
This is how they make their money. THEy can't force you to do something you don't want to do, or can't do. THey can't take away your freedom of choice unless you allow them to.

A creditor can take action if they so choose. However, in your case it would be a waste of their time and money to do it.

A traditional 3rd party collection agency strives to recover larger sums of money so they can earn their percentage of commission. They have to produce and often times that means being very harsh and even breaking the rules to get the job done. A collection agency has no interest in you, or your problems. They serve themselves and the creditors that hire them.

A non-profit credit counselling group is a collection agency, that runs an operation called a debt management program, otherwise known as debt pooling - similar to bankruptcy's OPD program. They make huge profit and I fail to understand how they are allowed to call themselves a non-profit or a counselling establishment. They don't seem to do any of those things.  They earn a commission from everything they collect from you and is paid to them by the creditors, the same way as a traditional collection agency. So, their main interest is the creditors because if they do not earn a commission from them, they won't do business with you. They also have a closely knit relationship with the bankruptcy industry and often refer to one another.

solvestudentdebt.com
tarka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/October/2012 at 12:46am
I asked ARC to send me a letter with the settlement on it. She asked me if she could fax it to me, but I don't have access to a fax machine. She said she will mail it out, but I probably won't get it in time as she says this offer from Scotiabank expires on Oct. 15th. I told her that I don't think I will be able to come up with the $4000 which they are offering as a settlement, and she gave me the phone # to Citifinancial and told be to apply for a loan there. I told her I couldn't afford to pay them $200 a month and 28% interest on a loan. She told me it would be in "my best interest" to find the money, and she expects a call back from me in a day or two. I read somewhere that you don't even have to return calls from a collection agency, that you can demand all correspondence be done through the mail. Is that true?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/October/2012 at 3:11am
Don't you dare go to citifinacial at that rate. Ouch That would be financial suicide. Thumbs Down This is a form of coercion that they often use. They smell money and will both push you and try to force you with threats of some form of harm to go get the money even it is places you in further hardship.
You can demand that they communicate withy ou in writing, yes. Just be careful how you word it becuase if you do want to ever benefit from a limitation issue in the event you cannot pay it then you would be jeopardizing yourself.

If you want to settle, and you want to do this without further pressure, I can help you. You are the one they are trying to manipulate so they are really not going to listen to you no matter how well coached you are. 

I will get the letter faxed to me and ensure it is legit, and if you need time, I will mediate that with the bank for you so you do not have to stress and sweat the collector. It is what I do.

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>