This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedExtreme Hardship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
whid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 2:29pm
Royal NCO -
Your ignorance of the internet and of this forum is astounding.  Your insinuation of other members without fact or merit borders on hostile.  Have you ever heard of someone either updating or creating a new profile due to privacy issues?  Have you heard of identity theft?  Have you heard of creating more complex sign-ins?  Have you ever heard of someone forgetting a sign-in / and  / or password and deciding to create a new account?  All of these reasons account for profiles that may be new despite the person being on this site for much longer than you care to consider.

Did you consider those factors before insinuating my profile is suspicious? 

You can have all the trust issues in the world and you are entitled to it.  However, you are bringing into disrepute other members and the founder / contributor to this site publicly. 

While I disagree with you, and how you have chosen to communicate about John or Mark and myself, I wish you the best of luck and no doubt, the system has frustrated you greatly.  I hope you have better outcomes whichever avenue you choose to pursue. 
Sponsored Links

Royal-NCO View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royal-NCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 2:32pm
You see this is much more useful to students: arm every student with the information they need to avoid the problems.  Help and encourage them to help other students.  Monopolizing the information like this isn't fair.

Administrator, I've read your attitude towards student loans in your "site policy".  Well, let's help students.  Load them with information.  Equip them, and help them to pass that information on to other  unwitting students.
Royal-NCO View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royal-NCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Johnny Johnny wrote:

Create a dummy account and name it Rumple Stillskin. Problem solved.

Why don't you just make it open?  This suggestion is just as logical as an anon account.
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Royal-NCO Royal-NCO wrote:

Johnny, I just spent two years wading through the Canadian immigration system in my effort bring my wife and her mother to Canada.  While I learned, I asked questions, but I also answered questions to help other people.  In that period of time, I developed considerable knowledge that I now provide freely to others by being a regular forum member.  I never paid a penny.  Instead, I pay back the help I was given by helping others on that forum.

This is what is missing here.  The open access to information.  The opportunity to take help and then turn around and offer it back to others.  There is no desire from other students having solved the problems to come back here and help others.  There is only one person, you, asking for money first.

Congratulations. That is awesome. I also help people at no cost. Ask around. Even those I do help with a fee, the financial benefit far exceeds the fee. Unfortunately, it doesn;t look like you are having much luck in the case of your student loan issue. Perhaps you should just take the bankruptcy route so you don't have to spend any more time and effort. But - oh yes, I do recall giving you a fair amount of my time and intelligence concerning how that could potentially be the worst thing you can do if there is a limitation issue, and the loan may survive it. 

I am an abundance of information on this site. Information is easily accessible. However, you want somneone to do work for you. For free. THere is nothing that information will do to solve your problem. You need to act it out and see it through, and have me spend 40 plus hours working it out for you.

I wish you luck and if there is any danger or potential for undermining your own own case with information, advice, or recommended action that is questionable I will certainly continue to give that to you at no cost - as I have from the beginning of your entry. Unfortunately, if you require me to do work for you or develop tools and whatnot, that will have to be paid for.  

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Royal-NCO View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royal-NCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 3:19pm
Johnny,

How does the OP begin the process of demonstrating hardship?  Can you point her to a link that allows her to read about the process so she can help herself?

I don't want tools, Johnny.  I want information.  This is much more powerful in the long run, and it benefits many if that person then turns around and passes the information on to the next student suffering from hardship.

badhairdaylady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badhairdaylady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 3:24pm
Oh boy, what a mess I've gotten myself into!  Not only in my personal life but in coming on this site hoping to have someone give me some advice or answers!  @ Johnny, Royal-NCO, and Administrator, you have all hijacked my original posting.  If you need to rant, then you have to do it someplace else!  Johnny, I can't afford your $175, Royal-NCO, this is my issue, don't make it yours! 

I'd like to clarify some things.  I am not a kid fresh out of high school, I'm 48 years old, worked hard all of my life while being a single mother, did all the crap jobs, literally!  I picked stones in farmer's fields and would come home sometimes smelling of manure, I waitressed, I spent a total of 12 years doing factory work.  Finally I'd had enough, thought I'd get an education to make a better life for me and my kids. My current status is single, no dependents, unemployed (and certainly not by choice or that I'm lazy!) 

1-  My program was prior to 2007.  In 2011, I took the online course (because I was working, as a customer service rep, minimum wage!) and completed the 2 year business accounting program. 
2-  I got laid off from this job (along with 500 others) March 31, 2012. 
3-  I went on EI until that ran out 6 months later, all the while looking for work, any work, and also registering at every employment agency possible and having 200 applications and resumes out there.
4-  The end of October 2012, I went on Welfare.  Welfare gives a single person with no dependants $606 per month to pay their rent, utilities and buy groceries.  My rent is $725 all inclusive.  So every month I borrow to make up the difference.  Groceries are the very basics when I get the benefit and credit cheques allowable in Ontario (GST Credit and Trillium Benefit).  While working, I was smart enough to stock the cupboard with non-perishables and the freezer with meat and other goods, that's how I've been surviving!
5-  I did my taxes after receiving all the necessary documents to file, my refund was $1460, HRSDC took $1154, provincial took the balance.  One of the agents at HRSDC (who have constantly been aware of my situation) advised me to file a claim with the Hardship Assessment Unit.  I put this claim in on March 2, 2013.
6-  In putting this claim in, I supplied Welfare Stubs (3 months worth), a letter from my social services worker, four months of bank statement showing constant overdrafts over those four months, rent receipts as well as rental agreement, two letters from two different people showing that they lent me money over the last four months to cover excess expenses.  The excess expenses were clearly outlined in an income statement sent to me to fill out and return to the Hardship Assessment Unit.  Lastly, I sent my service provider bill for phone/internet.
7-  On March 20th, I received a letter saying that I had been refused because they did not consider me to be in hardship.  I phoned them, they said I'm not living on the street, so I'm not in hardship!  But they said that if I got an eviction notice from my landlord, or if I got a disconnection notice from my service provider, they would reconsider.
8-  That same day I phoned my MPPs office, and got a lot of run around, he's probably making a six figure income, so there was no real effort on his part.  End result was a phone call back giving me the numbers for the federal and provincial offices to make arrangements to pay my loans.  Waste of time.
9-  The next day, I got the disconnection notice from my service provider, faxed it off to the Hardship Assessment unit along with a letter explaining why I was sending it, then I phoned them.  I managed to get a different person who would do the reassessment based on the disconnection notice.
10- On March 27, 2013, I got a call from that office stating that my claim had been reconsidered, and that in 7-10 days, I would be sent a cheque for the federal portion they took.  They're refunding me based on my services being disconnected, not on the fact that I have to borrow money to pay my rent or that I haven't bought decent groceries in over 4 months!

Royal-NCO View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royal-NCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 3:24pm
For example:

Throughout the years there have been many changes to the studen loan program.  Do we access to the different student loan acts that apply to the year we borrowed?  Are these different acts itemized somewhere?  It would be nice if this info were readilly available on this website.
Royal-NCO View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royal-NCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 3:26pm
OP,

Here we go.  Look here.

Royal-NCO View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royal-NCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 4:00pm
"THere is nothing that information will do to solve your problem. "
This is utter nonsense.  Only with information can one equip themselves with the tools they need to act on their own behalf.  Obviously it is the act(s) itself that solves the problem, but without the information once doesn't know how to act. 

Johnny, if you had first pointed the OP to the resources she needed to begin that hardship application process and then said, I can do it for you for a price, I wouldn't have an issue.  Unfortunately, you skipped the information stage and jumped immediately to money.

Again, this is the part you are missing.  I am not asking you to do any work for me, and definately no work for free.  What I am asking for is greater openness with what should be free: information, self help resources.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 4:15pm
Hi BadHairLady,

I will help you demonstrate your case. I mentioned that in a post.
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 4:26pm

Johnny, if you had first pointed the OP to the resources she needed to begin that hardship application process and then said, I can do it for you for a price, I wouldn't have an issue.  Unfortunately, you skipped the information stage and jumped immediately to money.

Again, this is the part you are missing.  I am not asking you to do any work for me, and definately no work for free.  What I am asking for is greater openness with what should be free: information, self help resources.

Royal, these are government forms. They are generic, but usable. A demonstration of hardship with extenuating circumstances goes WAY beyond governent forms. THey do not protect the borrower. THey serve the government. They care about money and not truth.

do you not understand that everyone has their own set of circumstances here? These forms are for those whoa re disabled, cannot work for whichever reason, medically or mentally proven to be unable to hold employment, etc.

The demonstrations we do are quite elaborate and are very formal. That, with the financial benefit that follows is what people pay for.

Now, enough of your pettiness please. You are going to burn out your welcome.  

solvestudentdebt.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 4:27pm
FYI - the acts that apply are the Canada Student Loans Act and CSLFA.

solvestudentdebt.com
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 4:42pm
Please EVERYONE stop posting a discussion of the running of this site and get back to helping the original poster.  Any further posts that are off topic i.e. this topic will not be approved.  Those posts can go in Site Feedback if they are relevant...
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
Royal-NCO View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royal-NCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Johnny Johnny wrote:

Royal, these are government forms. They are generic, but usable. A demonstration of hardship with extenuating circumstances goes WAY beyond governent forms. THey do not protect the borrower. THey serve the government. They care about money and not truth.

do you not understand that everyone has their own set of circumstances here? These forms are for those whoa re disabled, cannot work for whichever reason, medically or mentally proven to be unable to hold employment, etc.

The demonstrations we do are quite elaborate and are very formal. That, with the financial benefit that follows is what people pay for.

Now, enough of your pettiness please. You are going to burn out your welcome.  

Yes, every case is different, but if you point people in the right direction they read and figure out how it applies to them.  They then come back and ask questions.  Yes, I know those forms I suppled were not ideal, and I am thrilled that you corrected me.  This is what has to happen MORE on this forum.  There shouldn't be this feeling of, "I hate to ask another question or Johnny will think I'm looking for another freeby."

Some of the questions I have asked, I have asked because I want them to be readible by other students.  Some weeks ago we were having a really good discussion about the statue barred issue with another poster (footloose?), but I could feel you weren't too open to discussing it.  I learned a heck of lot about that issue, and now have a very good idea which parts of my loans are barred.  At the very least, it empowers me when I am confronted by collectors and i have managed to silence one major collector who now admits the loan is barred.

This isn't petty, Johnny.  Don't just dismiss every case as different.  There is some good general information that we can all benefit from, modify, and apply to our own circumstances without paying a penny.  This buys time, time that many of us need to raise money so we can afford to pay people like you to actually complete the job fully. 

Knowledge has equipped me with confidence.  Empowering me to get busy at improving my income.  I am now in a much better financial position than I was in even six months ago.  At this rate, I might actually be able to clear the portion of the debt that isn't barred.  After that, I will set to work on clearing the debt that IS barred.

OP,  I am really sorry for hiijacking your thread, but I am really trying to pull out information that benefits you, me and other students.
Royal-NCO View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royal-NCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 4:46pm
Sorry Administrator, I was writing as you posted your last comment.  I did not intend to ignore your request.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 4:48pm
BadHairDayLady, sorry that this got hijcacked. Thanks for providing the additional information.  To get things back on track I'll copy and paste it here. 

PLEASE ONLY RESPOND TO THIS POST. IF JOHNNY AND ROYAL WANT TO DISCUSS THINGS THEY CAN DO SO BY EMAIL OR THROUGH JOHNNY'S SITE, BUT NOT HERE AS IT IS NOT HELPING THE ORIGINAL POSTER.

FROM BADHAIRDAYLADY

Oh boy, what a mess I've gotten myself into!  Not only in my personal life but in coming on this site hoping to have someone give me some advice or answers!  @ Johnny, Royal-NCO, and Administrator, you have all hijacked my original posting.  If you need to rant, then you have to do it someplace else!  Johnny, I can't afford your $175, Royal-NCO, this is my issue, don't make it yours!   
I'd like to clarify some things.  I am not a kid fresh out of high school, I'm 48 years old, worked hard all of my life while being a single mother, did all the crap jobs, literally!  I picked stones in farmer's fields and would come home sometimes smelling of manure, I waitressed, I spent a total of 12 years doing factory work.  Finally I'd had enough, thought I'd get an education to make a better life for me and my kids. My current status is single, no dependents, unemployed (and certainly not by choice or that I'm lazy!) 

1-  My program was prior to 2007.  In 2011, I took the online course (because I was working, as a customer service rep, minimum wage!) and completed the 2 year business accounting program. 
2-  I got laid off from this job (along with 500 others) March 31, 2012. 
3-  I went on EI until that ran out 6 months later, all the while looking for work, any work, and also registering at every employment agency possible and having 200 applications and resumes out there.
4-  The end of October 2012, I went on Welfare.  Welfare gives a single person with no dependants $606 per month to pay their rent, utilities and buy groceries.  My rent is $725 all inclusive.  So every month I borrow to make up the difference.  Groceries are the very basics when I get the benefit and credit cheques allowable in Ontario (GST Credit and Trillium Benefit).  While working, I was smart enough to stock the cupboard with non-perishables and the freezer with meat and other goods, that's how I've been surviving!
5-  I did my taxes after receiving all the necessary documents to file, my refund was $1460, HRSDC took $1154, provincial took the balance.  One of the agents at HRSDC (who have constantly been aware of my situation) advised me to file a claim with the Hardship Assessment Unit.  I put this claim in on March 2, 2013.
6-  In putting this claim in, I supplied Welfare Stubs (3 months worth), a letter from my social services worker, four months of bank statement showing constant overdrafts over those four months, rent receipts as well as rental agreement, two letters from two different people showing that they lent me money over the last four months to cover excess expenses.  The excess expenses were clearly outlined in an income statement sent to me to fill out and return to the Hardship Assessment Unit.  Lastly, I sent my service provider bill for phone/internet.
7-  On March 20th, I received a letter saying that I had been refused because they did not consider me to be in hardship.  I phoned them, they said I'm not living on the street, so I'm not in hardship!  But they said that if I got an eviction notice from my landlord, or if I got a disconnection notice from my service provider, they would reconsider.
8-  That same day I phoned my MPPs office, and got a lot of run around, he's probably making a six figure income, so there was no real effort on his part.  End result was a phone call back giving me the numbers for the federal and provincial offices to make arrangements to pay my loans.  Waste of time.
9-  The next day, I got the disconnection notice from my service provider, faxed it off to the Hardship Assessment unit along with a letter explaining why I was sending it, then I phoned them.  I managed to get a different person who would do the reassessment based on the disconnection notice.
10- On March 27, 2013, I got a call from that office stating that my claim had been reconsidered, and that in 7-10 days, I would be sent a cheque for the federal portion they took.  They're refunding me based on my services being disconnected, not on the fact that I have to borrow money to pay my rent or that I haven't bought decent groceries in over 4 months!
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 4:54pm
Glad to hear things have been reconsidered and that they finally approved your application.  The problem is that although you are speaking to the CRA, alot of the student loan work was actually subcontracted to a collection agency. Sounds like you got a jerk on the phone. I've never heard of having to live on the street etc as grounds for a hardship application.

Glad things got approved and that you can finally get some GOOD groceries. I hope you can find more support and help here.   Is there any reason why you didn't get repayment assistance under the RAP program?
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Royal-NCO View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royal-NCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 5:02pm
OP,

Are you by yourself again?  Have your child(ren) grownup and left home?  I ask this because when the CRA questioned me over the phone about my finances, they objected to my rent.  They believed that given my circumstances, my rent should be much lower.  If you are no longer caring for children, I would wonder if they would expect you to leave your $725 apartment and rent a room. 

Also, I too was on welfare for a brief period of time, and was forced to move.  They wouldn't provide support given my rent at the time.  Since you're quoting the rate for a single person, I'm guessing you're by yourself, and I'm surprised they aren't forcing you to move.  Didn't you have to provide proof of your tenancy from your landlord?

My cynical mind is thinking that they are returning your money so you can reconnect your phone so they can stay in contact with you.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 5:25pm
The problem with CRA assessment officers and forensic analysts is that they go by empirical data, and do not take one person's circumstances into account.

For instance, they use what is called their "food allowance" stats, which allot $50.00 per week to dingle people without dependants. Rent goes the same, where they take the average cost for dwelling, depending on the number of family members you have. It is a ridiculous expectation and assessment on their part. However, if they went by truth they would never collect any money.

The way to combat this is to demonstrate EVERYTHING in such a way that pretty much gives them no way to scrutinize. This is why I said every case is unique. Although they claim to treat everyone the same, that is far from the truth.

solvestudentdebt.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 5:28pm
BadHairDay,

You might want to approach them to see if they will remove the loan due to hardship. That is something wortth looking at if your circumstances are dire enough. I mentioned I would help you organize it and present it. I just can't do it all for you because of the time it takes, and your limited budget.

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>