This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedExtreme Hardship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
badhairdaylady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badhairdaylady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extreme Hardship
    Posted: 25/March/2013 at 5:07pm
I ended my last semester back in April 2007, decided I'd had enough and I wasn't going back, and I was racking up a crazy amount of student loans.  I was 2 credits short.  In 2011, I took an online course through eLearn to at least get a 2 year diploma, I paid for this myself.

I've never been gainfully employed enough to pay my student loans and live at the same time, so of course the debt is being collected by seizing my income tax returns.  The provincial portion has been sent to collection to a 'not so nice' agency who all but use loan shark tactics to collect the debt.  I faxed them a cease and desist letter demanding that they do not contact me by phone, that has stopped.

I live in a very depresses area of Eastern Ontario and there simply are no jobs, I'm over qualified for a lot of the other jobs, so I've been without work for almost a year.  I had gone on EI after I got laid off last April, then when that ran out, I went on Welfare.  Welfare recipients as a single person, you get $606\month.  I borrow every month to make my rent, and have not done groceries in 4 months.  I don't eat, I don't sleep, I'm losing weight, and the stress is getting to be too much.

I've been in contact with an agent from the HRSDC to give updates as to my situation, and she advised me that I could file a hardship claim to try to get my income tax refund back, which was $1460.  I faxed all the necessary papers (income statement, proof of social assistance, 4 months worth of bank statements, rental agreement, rent receipts, proof that I'm having to borrow money to pay my rent) and the answer came back that I was not under hardship.  I did contact the MPP's office who ignored my plea for help the first day, after stressing the dire circumstance I'm in, he got some answers, but all numbers he gave me were to make arrangements for payment of the loans.  I was a waste of my time.

Today, I got a letter from the CRA threatening to take me to court if I didn't make immediate arrangement to repay the loans.
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badhairdaylady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/March/2013 at 5:10pm
Sorry, didn't mean to send that yet, anyway, if anyone could advise me on what to do, or who to call, or any advise on my situation, it would be appreciated.  Getting an education was not a regretful choice, but living in this area and trying to get a job is, unfortunately, there's no way to move to a better area, until I get a job.  Seems like a catch-22 situation! 
mcjupto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcjupto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/March/2013 at 3:55pm
alot of girls have driving jobs like delivery/hot shot driver, tow truck, parts delivery, etc. woman are cheaper to insure.
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/March/2013 at 8:55am
Are you able to pay something, or does hardship prevent you from being able to?
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badhairdaylady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/March/2013 at 10:26am
I can't pay anything at all, I'm currently on assistance.  Since getting my education, I have never been gainfully employed.  The ironic thing is that prior to that, I always worked.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2013 at 5:54am
Alright. So the way to approach this is to communicate and demonstrate. If you want help it is very inexpensive for our group to do this. It is under $175.00 to help students in thia area. 

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badhairdaylady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2013 at 11:15am
No thanks, I can't afford to buy groceries let alone pay out $175 for help that could be tentative at best.   
Royal-NCO View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royal-NCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 1:12am
badhairlady,  I agree with you.

Johnny and Administrator, I have been here for a while and watching what has been going on.  Although Johnny's comments are often helpful I am getting very uncomfortable with his regularly pumping himself on this forum while pushing his business.

I regularly see posters initiating a thread about how Johnny has helped them, but not a single poster has been a long term member.  They all have only one or two posts to their name.

Johnny and Administrator, please show me the long term canadastudentdebt members who are happy with Johnny.   If I am going to send what will be thousands of dollars his way,  if I am going to even pick up the phone and call him, I would like a few credible recommends.  I think its only fair.  Those of you who are long term posters and have Johnny helping you, please, speak up.

I am really uncomfortable with this.  Approaching the CRA inappropriatly about my debt could really destroy my life at this stage. 

Thanks a lot.
Royal-NCO View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royal-NCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 1:26am
Here's a recent example of the low poster recommend.

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 6:59am
Royal-NCO,
Thank you for articulating your concerns.  I don't know what the solution would be that would balance Johns contribution to the site.   With the nature of this site, there are actually very few long term members.  Many people only come and post once or twice. Many just read the info and never post.

Running an online forum is challenging and as you see, this thread has now veered off in a direction that doesnt help the original poster (an example of unintended hijacking of a thread) 

My only suggestion is to take what you like from the site and leave the rest and keep the focus on helping people with student loan problems.

Now back to helping BadHairDayLady
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 7:01am
BadHairDayLady,

As you will find in other sections of the site, they cant get blood from a stone but they will try.  Any idea why your hardship application was rejected? Can you appeal/  HRSDC is known to reject on the first application and then approve on appeal.

Talk to the CRA, go over the numbers with them....something must be missing from the information that CRA and HRSDC is looking at.

Anyone else have some suggestions for appealing a hardship case?
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 9:09am

Fair enough. I will not post here, give advice, or help people here. Is that what you want Royal? People that post stuff here about me in these testimonials are real people who had real problems.

If you want free help Royal, go get it. LOL Find it somewhere. YOu are not going to find it here. Same for you Badhairlady. All I did was respond to a post. If I want to mention that we offer a service that specializes in this sort of solution then I am allowed to do so without flack from any of you, so long as Mark has no issues with it.

The problem is that with a lot of people, they expect things like this for free. RoyalNCO, you chant bankruptcy here a lot and you have said you are considering it in other posts, but you are broke. How could you pay those fees then? Seriously. 

If I am going to work and save someone a lot of time, money, and provide opportunity, there is value in it.  You do not walk into a store and grab a loaf of bread and a carton of milk and tell the cashier that you want it but are not going to pay for it. LOL

I can help any number of people here but it isn't free. I make that point in every case because a lot of people try to corner our people and push and push and continue to push to do that.

solvestudentdebt.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 9:14am
Royal - And what is this analysis you have going on here about "low poster activity"? Are people not allowed to post their good news? Does it offend you because someone actually can help people resolve their issues and problems with the student loan and financial communities? Are you jealous perhaps?

solvestudentdebt.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 9:39am
Now for you Badhairlady, I will offer you something providing you demonstrate to me that you are actually on social assistance (that does not include maternity leave benefits or worker's comp).
Otherwise, simply demonstrate your hardship. If it is rejected then it is not a hardship that would warrent removal or closure. If you actually do have a case that is severe with extenuating circumstances, and they reject it, then it is not written correctly. If you are having difficulty presenting it then you can call on me or Heather to help you get it right. If you push me to do everything else for you for free (like so many other pro bono's have done recently and in the past) then I will not continue.
I cannot assess your hardship without knowing what you have going on over there. To do that, it will require time. It would require time for anyone to do this for you. If you want someone to give you a  guarantee of succss, forget that. No one can guarantee you success or failure. If your hardship meets approval criteria then your chances are  great. If they don't but can be further demonstrated, then the chances are still good. If you are just stressed out, not working but you can actually work, and you are employable but not applying yourself, and that your lack of ability to pay and actions in that regard cannot be seen good faith then your chances are nil.    

So, for those of you who are interested in receiving help in the following areas, we have intervention services, coaching and mentoring, mediation, and workshops for the following matters:

1) Demonstrating hardship to the government of Canada - re Canada student loans, other non-tax-related issues, and tax debt (personal and business)
2) Risk-shared student loan Debt reduction (Scotiabank, CIBC, and RBC)
3) Limitation analysis and discoveries (All student loans except NS and Ontario guaranteed, and tradtional consumer debt) 
4) Soluitons for borrowers being sued by the office of Attorney General for Canada, the provincial governments, and banks.
5) Consumer protection 
6) First time home-buying prep and navigation

Go to www.cfwgroup.ca to learn more.

solvestudentdebt.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 9:50am
Royal NCO - You want help too? You pay my hard costs and I will do what you need done. Retainer is required and it's that simple. THen, if ther eis a financial benefit in the end, you pay the rest. If there is no financial benefit in the end, you pay nothing.

There is NO threat to you by the government as you seem to fear.

This way, you can participate with me while I do this and then you will know. If this doesn't satsify your issues then nothing will, unless someone is willing to go in and do this for free (which would be totally insane).

solvestudentdebt.com
Royal-NCO View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royal-NCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 11:00am
Administrator and Johnny,  my comments are very relevant to the OP!!  I feel for her!
Did you not read her response?  She's broke and barely surviving.  Now, she's expected to come up with another $175 to pay to get out of trouble.  This is exactly how I felt years ago.  Royal and NSLSC screwed up.  My only way out was to come up with a large amount of cash to pay off the interest to buy myself out of trouble at a time when I was broke annd hungry, taking food from the food bank.

This is messed up.  Broke and struggling ex/students come here for help and discover a man pumping his services, at a price, yet nowhere do I find a credible source that proves that this stranger on the internet can actually help me. 

I've been let down too many times by "saviours" offering their help.  I'm certain the OP feels exactly the same way.

This is a bloody ugly messed up system that exploits vulnerable people who don't have the money needed to buy themselves out of trouble.

By the way,  I mentioned bankruptcy ONCE as a last ditch responce to being backed into the corner by CRA.  Please, don't exaggerate, Johnny!
Royal-NCO View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royal-NCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 11:08am
Johnny and Administrator:

Please, read her response again.  This is how desperate indebted ex students feel.

"No thanks, I can't afford to buy groceries let alone pay out $175 for help that could be tentative at best."
Royal-NCO View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royal-NCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 11:18am
I wish you could develop a website like this.  It is a highly informative source for people immigrating to Canada. This is a forum of often very knowledgeable people volunteering information and their experiences. 
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/index.php
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 12:10pm
The website you mention is run by a law firm, likely with staff and an IT department and an IT budget. I am one person, with no budget, and no staff, maintaining this site by myself.  I do the forum upgrades myself when I have the time.

You are most welcome to start up your own site and build it and moderate it in your own spare time and on your own dime as I have.  You are also advised that every three or four months you will get a suicide posting that you will have to deal with and forward to the police while respecting the privacy laws.

Sometimes its a thankless job, and sometimes people ruin my Easter holiday weekend with forum fights.

I have numerous times considered walking away from this site because of these petty fights.

If you want a website, go build it yourself, and then recruit volunteers. Good luck with that!  

BTW< I bet you that the forum you mentioned is set up to attract customers to the law firm that runs it!

Administrator
Mark OMeara
whid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2013 at 12:20pm
Royal NCO - Throwing around insinuation against other members and questioning their validity is shameful. You point to one person - how selective when you consider the hundreds of others who have posted and received help. It is easy to slam other people but please make sure you have hard facts before you tar all of us with the same brush.
As for John at the CFW Group, an online forum is an updated yellow pages phonebook. Need help with a problem - call us here. How can you begrudge that? No one is forcing you to visit this site or contact him.
As for revealing names of persons, what gives you the right to invade my privacy or any of the other people on this site by demanding such information? Perhaps you should post with your real name, address and account numbers so we may verify who you are.

Thank you to John and Mark who have provided so much help to so many people over the years.  They don't deserve their motives to be questioned publicly as that hurts careers and reputations.  What you do, Mark and John, is appreciated by many who found hope and a new lease on life with your efforts.

Thank you for all that both of you do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>