This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLost in Saskabush.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kristian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lost in Saskabush.
    Posted: 18/February/2004 at 6:38am
(stumbles in wildly, panting)  Hey!  I'm glad I found you guys!!

I have spent 7 years in some college or another, gathering diplomas to ensure at least a reasonable-paying job.  No dice.  I have diplomas in journalism, business admin, computer science and computer network technology.  At the end of this adventure, I have amassed $37,000.00 in debt with three loans.  At the peak of the madness, my total payments were $600.00 a month.

A bit of negotiating and fiddling, I managed to knock it down to $300.00, but that was tenuous at best.  I had to put one of the loans into interest relief...or so I thought it was....

I was laid off from my crummy $8.50 an hour job (which was completely unrelated to anything I took in school) just last Friday.  The same day, I received a letter from CSL (the loan I thought was still in interest relief) stating I owe them $2300.00 RIGHT NOW!!  DO NOT PASS GO!!!

Thankfully, I do qualify for EI but I have read CSL can take EI benefits (and tax returns) for payment.  The CSL loan is the smallest of three loans and I would hate to have that bugger up my meagre finances.   I have contacted the unnamed recovery officer at HRDC to ask for an arrangement that won't leave me starving under a bridge.

Oddly CIBC has been the good guy in this.  I know...I never would have thought it either.  They have been understanding and have cut my payments from $170.00 to $80.00 a month -- I think that's just covering the interest.   I'm still waiting for that axe to fall...

The Bank of Montreal is the biggest at $20,000.00 and it was unmanageable even when I was working.  It's actually a line of credit which I (STUPID) took out to go to CDI (STUPID STUPID) and get a (STUPID STUPID) diploma in network tech.  

By the way....If any of you who are considering going to CDI...DON"T.  It's way overpriced and the education is very weak.  All I have is a bunch of books that are now outdated.

Where was I?  Ah, bugger it.  I've said too much.

I love this forum.

Sponsored Links

polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/February/2004 at 3:33pm

And I love your writing!!! Kudos to your talent...if not your journalism school!!

Do you freelance?

Why is bloody hell NOT?

Sorry...I just get frustrated seeing talented people starve...

Have you considered leaving Saskatchewan (which I assume you're from)?

And how do CDI and all those other ripoff joints get away with what they're doing? Has anyone ever known anyone to find an awesome career directly because of what they've studied there? I know I haven't...

Welcome to the club, Kristian...Please hang with us awhile?

Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
Kristian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/February/2004 at 6:00pm
Hi poly!

I enjoy your writing as well.  No, I'm not freelancing and I've been told a few times that I darn well should be.  That's a whole story all by itself.  I'm not starving...yet.  I have at least six months of body-fat to chisel away at.

And no, I'm not originally from Saskatchewan.  I came here from the Yukon almost five years ago.  I followed my wife down here -- her family is from around these parts...actually they've all collected in one small town an hour away from Saskatoon.

I've been thinking about leaving Saskabush for sure.  Most of my family is in Alberta, so there's an avenue to The Promised Land.   Too bad I hate the whole province.   It's so...unfriendly.

Private colleges are a bit of a curse here in Sask.  They're everywhere and the people who are turned away from university and tech school end up there.  There was one case of a group of students who managed to successfully sue one of them. It wasn't CDI, unfortunately.   If I had my way,  I'd shut down the whole lot of them.  A lot of people are going through some incredible suffering because of these colleges and the money that's involved.

I guess I've gotten off track.  Wasn't I supposed to be talking about debt? 

..'er somethin...

Thanks poly, for your greeting.  I'll be here for a bit.  When I find solutions (besides winning the lottery) I'll share them with ya'll.

justme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2004 at 8:32am

Alberta is definetly not the promised land... unless your extremely financially secure and established.  I've been working at it for 5 years now... and this weekend I move back to Saskatchewan ( I swore I would never do it)  But, its not sensible anymore.  I refuse to continue to pay $3300 a year for car insurance when Ralph Klein is simply pretending to acknowledge it.  Unfortunely, this province is definelty set up for the rich and established.   So, next weekend I go back to the land of PST and potholes.... with a smile on my face.  Maybe Lorne Kalvert will give me a job as poster girl for "saskatchewan - we're wide open - please come home - we've got jobs - honest"

As far as my student loans go.... I'm tired of fighting with Collectors over it.  I know that I can't make money magically appear for them.  So, instead of having a mental breakdown... I try to have fun with it.  I call them before they can call me... I only call them to  say 'hi' they can't stand it... every single call ends up with them hanging up on me and me laughing at them.  Hmmmmm... I think I might give my buddy "bill" a call right now.

Kristian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2004 at 12:39pm
Good luck in the Land of Wheat.  Are you off to Sasktoon or Regina or some other sprawling metropolis here?

I've heard a lot about people moving away from here, but you're the first I've heard who's coming back.
kevmetric View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevmetric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2004 at 10:03pm
In fact, DeVry was sued by a bunch of students
in 2000, for alleged "guaranteed jobs" and
also "guaranteed pass marks" for anyone studying
there. All bogus.
Kristian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2004 at 6:55am
CDI didn't have the hidden "guarantee pass" clause, as I'd seen a lot of people fail a couple of exams and then be asked to leave.

The students who did the coursework and had experience with exams did just fine.  Compared with public institutions, the effort needed to achieve a passing grade at CDI was minimal.

As far as I know, no one has tried to sue CDI yet.  I've done my part for revenge, though.  I personally talked twelve people out of going there.

The "guaranteed jobs" mantra was big at CDI too.  It was the only motivation for people to hurl $14,000.00 into a black hole.  It worked on me.

Nicesmile4all View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicesmile4all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2004 at 8:37am
I too went to CDI in Vic, BC. I don't know of anyone who got jobs in their field. My "Legal" schooling (of 10 months and $12000 later) got me work in a collection agaency, not a law office. I mean the education was helpful in some way.....I mean really Collection Agency/Lawyer whats the differnce...it's all just evil right...ha ha....Sorry..anyway I agree that these type of "Private Education" institutions are just all a big scam for us working poor.
Ex-Collector, for a reason..... So I can help not hurt.
anuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2004 at 4:45pm

yea Kristian nice writing, lol I've heard that CDI does suck. My friend went their, and can't find a job for the life of him.

If I'm lucky, I'll just pay my student loan off with my line of credit, before they give me crap about it.

T

kevmetric View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevmetric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2004 at 9:45pm
For extreme ills, there should be extreme
medications or solutions.

When there's a big debt, maybe it's time to
go work in Korea or Taiwan, as a sacrifice
to pay back what's owed. Or to change line
of work. Or to move to another region where
there are brighter pastures.

If you look at reality, a lot of people get
things done, for no other reason than the fact
that they are able to extract a maximum of
benefit for themselves in any given situation,
by adapting to it, and getting other people
to contribute in solving their problems,
and getting them promoted to higher paying jobs,
or a higher responsibility.

The saying "united we stand, divided we fall"
much applies in life.

Oftentimes, the key to getting relief in life,
is actually working together with other people,
and not working against them.

It boggles the mind how often employers get on the
wrong side of employees, and the same thing happens
in married couples, or friends, relatives, school
teachers, etc.

I had to laugh ...on a newsgroup some time ago,
a female student indicated that she had no debts,
no rent to pay, and no tuition either, because
a samaritan sugar-daddy had paid all those costs.

This is just an example ....there was a study
done in the Federal Government, by the auditor
general, that found upto 40% of employees in
many Federal Departments were working husband and
wife in the same place. They had also hired cousins,
close friends, and so on. Each making upwards of $40,000
or $50,000. This is another example of getting other
people to work for you, in solving your problems.

Or what about ...sharing the rent with other people,
to split the costs ? Or buying one set of school books,
and photocopying the books ?

The people that really get ahead in life, are those
that have a "network of personal contacts" all over
the country, on which they can rely on for many
kinds of assistance, psychological, circumstancial
and financial support. They can find them jobs,
housing, social activites, etc.

Oftentimes, this is called "Emotional Intelligence".

When people have high levels of debts, not only
does a suspicion of excessive spending come into
play, but also ...a suspicion that they're failing
to reap all the benefits that they could have reaped,
from many situations that confronted them in the past.

They didn't get the promotion. Or the job. Or
the apartment. Or the invitation, etc.

It all has to do with team work ...in getting out
of debt, that isn't being fully taken advantage of,
quite possibly.
blah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/May/2004 at 5:21am
Originally posted by justme justme wrote:

I only call them to  say 'hi' they can't stand it... every single call ends up with them hanging up on me and me laughing at them.  Hmmmmm... I think I might give my buddy "bill" a call right now.

Ok, well that’s just way too funny! We should make every day “collector appreciation day”. Can you imagine if every single person in our situation called a collector every day just to express how much we care about these wonderful people?

Hello. I just wanted to tell you how much I truly look forward to hearing your calming voice each and every day. By the way, have you ever thought about going into broadcasting? Your voice is like creamy butter on a paper-thin wafer.   Did you have a puppy when you were a kid? ‘Couse I read somewhere that people who had a puppy when they were growing up tend to become more empathetic adults. I mean, the way you make it a point to devote a few minutes of every day to little ol’ me…I bet you give one heck of a warm hug. Shucks…are you married? Silly me… of course you are. Darn it, the good ones are always taken. I’m so glad fate has thrown us together like this. I hope we stay friends forever and ever! Say, let’s get together this weekend! Oh gosh, I’m getting a bit misty-eyed. Mother always said I was too sensitive. Listen, I’m really sorry but I have to go. I’ll call you tomorrow, though. OK, come on…you hang up first…no, no…you hang up first. OK, together, then…One…two…three…No, you hang up first…

…I can’t believe you hung up on me. Was it something I said? Maybe we got cut off and you think I hung up on you. Maybe I should call back just to make sure we’re OK. Yeah, this would be a good opportunity to talk things out.

….wow…Our fist fight…
Friends don't let friends take Arts degrees
Kristian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/May/2004 at 5:47pm
kevmetric:

I agree with you.  I agree that if we try to live in a vacuum, we're doomed.  Everyone needs help from others to keep going, to keep finding, to keep living.  There's still this romantic mystique about the loner who carved a niche into the world all by himself.  There was a time when I wanted to emulate that rugged individual, not so much now. 

I have problems with adopting a nomadic lifestyle to follow work, though.  It just may be my loss, but I'm staying here and re-evaluating my expectations from what I want from life.  Wasn't there a saying that if you expect nothing you are never disappointed?  Something like that.

When I look upon my debt, I see myself as the only person to blame for it.  I could have said no at any point and packed it in.  Curosity drove me, student loans fuelled me and the debt is all mine.

If I can't pay the debt off in my lifetime, it will surely be paid off after my death.  I'm worth far more dead than alive.  More if it's an accident.

Yeah, I agree with you for the most part.
 Post Reply Post Reply