This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNordon After Me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Trixie B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trixie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/April/2004 at 7:15pm
Michelle

I just wrote about my experiences with NCO. They must have a lot of inexperienced collectors if they keep hanging up on people.
I also have not received anything in writing by them and have no idea about their address. Judging by what you say they're unlikely to give it to me. How am I going to make payments if they won't give me their address!

Trixie
Sponsored Links

bikerbarbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerbarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/July/2004 at 6:19pm

Hi,

I'm new to this site but glad I found it. I finished school 5 years ago, went to school as a single mom with 3 children, got no breaks what so ever on loans  in fact my welfare cheque got cut 400 half way through school thanks to Mike Harris. Anyway I made it and graduated. I paid my loans faithfully until 2 years ago, actually I paid off the federal one. but  just over 2 years ago I got an illness which made it impossible for me to work due to severe pain in my face. I got behind on my loan and it went to NORDON. When they called I offered to make lesser payments of 50 per month, they refused this. Told me it had to be paid in full. I requested "loan forgiveness" due to disability and sent in all the papers they requested and never heard from them again.

Now I'm working part-time and requested my credit report and there it is. I put in a dispute about this loan and now they are calling again. My son gave them my number at work and they are calling me there every other day. Oh they told him it was urgent that they speak to me and being a child he didn't know better. The guy who's calling of course has been pushing me to go to the bank for a loan with a co-signer because I don't make enough money to get a bank loan as well as having this in the credit bureau. When that didn't work he became threatening over the phone, he told me my disability claim was refused, when I asked him to send me proof by fax I received nothing.

Today he called my work and asked for payroll, fortunately I have call display and since I answered the phone I wouldn't put him through. I thought that was illegal for them to do that, at that point I asked him for his supervisor, I think he put through to another collector instead, she asked for my social insurance number which I gave and probably shoudn't have, she first told me they requested more information 2 years ago and that I refused to give it, that never happened  I offered again to pay 50 per month and they told me they would call back but didn't.

I don't recall ever receiving anything in writing from these people besides the medical form.

I'm not really sure how to handle this. My loan was with Royal Bank. Should I send payments to them??

Help!!!

Barbara
Scotia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/September/2004 at 9:53pm
collection agencies cannot phone you at work.They are governed by rules that of course they hope you dont know.educate yourself on these rules print them out put them by your phone and wait for the chance to use them.That is if they dont hang up on you first.

Edited by Scotia
scotia
Scotia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/September/2004 at 9:57pm
never ever give out your personnal info sins ect.they already know enough to make your life hell dont add fuel to their fire

Edited by Scotia
scotia
Scotia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/September/2004 at 10:07pm
I wonder if we are dealing with the same gal at nco.I also have a csl through scotiabank and what lovely people they are,biggest mistake i ever made.At nco its thier job is to intimidate,scare and make you break down on the telephone,and continually break the rules that govern collection agencies.Document everything.google up some sites know your rights,if you do not have the ability to pay then you dont have it.Be very careful what you say and how much info you give,if the phone calls become to much and changing your phone # isnt a option write them a letter stating that you want no further verbal contact from their company except to inform you of reciept of the letter or to inform you of further action.They have to stop contacting you by phone.You can send them 5.00/month if thats all you can afford,they have to take it,and like it.
scotia
jotogo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jotogo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/September/2004 at 10:41am

I love these guys at NCO!!  They call me all the time, a few times a day, but I refuse to answer now.  My spounce answered the last call and said that I was no longer at this number and to stop calling.  They like to leave messages that simply state, "this is so and so from Edmonton and we would like to talk to you about some information we would like to send you."  They did not identify who they were or what it was about.  I guess I was supposed to be curious enough to call them back, but I knew who it was from the call display.  Nice try.  Isn't that against collection policy to not id who they are and the nature of the call???? 

Bottom line is that I have no money at all right now to offer them.  I am not working right now because I am caring for our new baby and we are just making ends meet with one income.  Besides, it is my debt, not my hubbies!  I went to school before we met and he should not be expected to pay for it. 

Jen

whereto? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whereto? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/September/2004 at 8:06pm
Actually if asked, they are required to.  Some use call display some dont..it depends on the agency...       

My favorite, I had a small bill in collections, and the agency (never found who they were, just paid it to the creditor) refused to leave any kind of message..my mom even asked if they wanted to...no, no....NEVER got any kind of message other than an auto dialer one...now what the hell kind of method is that?
bikerbarbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerbarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2004 at 4:20pm

Nordon got my work number from my child by telling him it was an urgent call, now they call me every day, sometimes they just ask for our fax number, they don't say who it is, but I always answer the phone, the guy told me he was going to make my life hell, that he would call me every day more then once and to go ahead and complain, his exact words were " that's like complaining to the cops because cops beat you up, No one will care" Now I see their # and I just hang up right after I answer, they told me to borrow the money to pay them. They are driving me nuts, he gets other people to call and ask for our fax #. I sent them my financial statement guess it didn't make them very happy.

Barb

Barbara
dazed&confused View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazed&confused Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2004 at 4:25pm
It's a fine line, they may have to id themselves but they cannot disclose any information to anyone other than the debtor.  I can never get them to ID themselves when I get caught on the phone and have to take a message for myself.  They always just say it's an important business matter.
whereto? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whereto? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2004 at 7:26pm
I've heard of going to the CRTC for violating communications laws...worth a try?  Johnny?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2004 at 9:06pm

5 Years?

Close to the statute of limitations.

dazed&confused View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazed&confused Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2004 at 6:35am
Biker, why drive yourself nuts by answering???
Benjo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2004 at 1:49pm
Nordon is now after me as well, in fact i was paying my student loan off
and no one had ever informed me of the balance outstanding Before i
started paying my loan...as wierd as that sounds..

anyway, this morning at 7am i was awoken by the phone 9which i did not
answer, then another call at 8am which i did answer, at that time i think i
was the easiest collection "janet" had all day. i laughed when she told me
that i had 1500 and change outstanding, and her response was: "sir this
is NOT funny" well no sh*t, you woke me up a seven to tell me this ( as a
point of interest i went to art school and now make a living off of art, so
sometimes i'm not up in the mornings) was my response...she then asked
if i had 1300 to her by friday she would settle it for that (why is it that
they do that anyway? 3 days to come up with 1300 dollars? they kind of
set you up for failure) . so i took the info needed to pay this off and told
her i would get to the bank to give them the majority of the amount by
thursday..."thank you very much sir, please fax your receipt to our toll-
free number after you do so" - so great...this is settled and in one month
from thursday if not sooner you will see the rest of the account filled.
"thank you that's great" ....so do not call me between now and
then...make a not of it. "yes, we will call after bla bla date to make sure
you have closed the account" great, thanks a lot janet, goodbye.

so i get home and i have 10 IMPERITIVE MESSAGES from various trolls at
NORDON from after our discussion. now i know collectors have it rough,
but if a person tells ou they are going to pay a certain amount in a couple
of days can you wait until they DO NOT pay it to call and harass them
again? i worked for collect corp when jim flaherty payed them to employ
people under the table to do political calling (sucks when you can't get
grants from the gov't and then you have to work for the
conservatives...real highlight in my university career) during the last
election...and i saw what collectors do to people, so i have a bit of insight
into the mentality that they call you with...best idea is to hang up and
turn your phone off.

now, since this is getting long (sorry it will be my only post ever),

ATTENTION EMPLOYEES OF NORDON....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE act like you
were NOT beat up you entire childhood (even if you were, suck it up).
were all in this together...try not to be too holier than thou when it comes
to "debt management". because there are only two reasons you have the
job that you do...

A: you are being screwed by the system for which you are working (what a
paradox)

B: you are (much like a rent-a-cop) a complete dick who is hellbent on
making other people's live's miserable (in my case just my morning)
through your so called "power".

anyway, that's a rant...but i know many of you feel the same way...good
luck with your collective tribulations. and when and if you can, tell the
gov't that school should be paid for by the gov't. it's the least they can do.
randyandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2004 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Johnny Johnny wrote:

When people send cheques to the creditor or government, they are forwarded to the agency in all cases. The better way to do this is make the cheque payable to the party that you owe the money to, and not the agency. By doing this, it also keeps your affairs private thus your bank sees that you are paying a creditor and not a collection agency. Just a useful tip in building financial relationships.

For student loans, agencies cannot refuse payments regarding CSLP or Provincial. The bank cure, risk, or risk-shared come with more unusual colelction tacics to press for payment. Pay what you can afford, and substantiate it. That will help those who are being pressed. If the pressing continues, simply know that there are no legal avenues to enforce the issue - unless an individual can pay more that what they are claiming. Collectors look at this side of things also. Student loans are not sued as much as colelctors say they are. That is the reality.

Johnny

randyandy
randyandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2004 at 2:18pm

Johnny,

I enjoy your advice and need to ask... I have a CSL debt to HRDC, now called SDC, and it has been with Collectcorp for a few years. I was making regular payments on it and HRDC all of a sudden starts calling and sending letters and statements, saying that I owe them $1,400. The last statement I have from Collectcorp states my outstanding balance is $800 and change. When I refused to make any further payments until it was clarified, they all of a sudden could not be reached. So - you'll love this! - I sent them a 90 page fax with ALL receipts, cancelled cheques and statements from Collectcorp. They called me the same day. To complain about tying up their fax machine all day. Tough! They then told me the discrepancy is due to the fact that I was paying Collectcorp 7.25% interest and they say it should have been Prime Rate + 2%. They didn't figure this out for 5 YEARS?? Don't they have to do a fiscal year end reconcilliation of all outstanding debts? Just like any company does? Even those in collection? I said I was contacting my accountant and my lawyer, before I would take any other steps. Neither of which I have. If I could afford them, I wouldn't have debt in collection!

Now...if I do owe the amount they have calculated, do I also get credited for the months where the total interest rate was lower than 7.25%? They say no. Why should I be responsible for "their collection agency" not doing the math? If this is in fact the truth! How can I be held liable for this? 5 years and no one looks to see the interest rate they are charging me? Come on!

I am now in a position to pay off the thing in a lump sum. YEAH! Do I send the amount Collectcorp says I owe? Do I send the amount SDC claims? Who to pay? And how much? And how? Personal cheque? Money orders? Certified cheque? HELP!!

Any advice you can offer on this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Johnny Johnny wrote:

When people send cheques to the creditor or government, they are forwarded to the agency in all cases. The better way to do this is make the cheque payable to the party that you owe the money to, and not the agency. By doing this, it also keeps your affairs private thus your bank sees that you are paying a creditor and not a collection agency. Just a useful tip in building financial relationships.

For student loans, agencies cannot refuse payments regarding CSLP or Provincial. The bank cure, risk, or risk-shared come with more unusual colelction tacics to press for payment. Pay what you can afford, and substantiate it. That will help those who are being pressed. If the pressing continues, simply know that there are no legal avenues to enforce the issue - unless an individual can pay more that what they are claiming. Collectors look at this side of things also. Student loans are not sued as much as colelctors say they are. That is the reality.

Johnny

randyandy
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2004 at 2:43pm

This is an odd occurence.

What youa re describing is what youy would call "post-audit" procedure. THe account is with SDC now? If so, they recalled the loan.

I am reading more into what you are describing.. and if you have "proof" that there are accounting errors on their part (such as the receipts and statements you faxed) then they really cannot hide their errors now, can they?. It is illegal for a government institution, or any lender to charge or colelct more money than what is agreed upon by the borrower. So , if you have proof that they are colelcting more than the agreed upon sum, simply escalate the matter by writing HRDC to motion an audit to determine where there errors are occuring. It is pretty simple, really.

The bottom line is that you don't have to pay something you do not owe.

Lastly, if you have the means to pay out your CSL, make sure the numbers add up first. You don't want them coming back after you for a post-audit amount after the fact. If you are certain beyond the shadow of a doubt that you are being charged more than the agreed upon sum, take action.

Request the HRDC conduct an audit of your account to ensure their accounting is accurate. If they refuse, and you have proof of error, that is an offense.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
randyandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/December/2004 at 1:02pm

Thanks Johnny!

Been super busy at work and not had a chance to check back in. I appreciate your advice. I will do as you say and request that HRDC conduct an audit of my account.

Do I just send it to the general address I have for them? Or is there someone in particular I should be writing to? Registered mail goes without saying. How long do I give them to reply? And if they tell me that they are correct and I owe the other 500 bucks? Do they need to supply me with "proof" that their accounting is correct?

I have been paying off all my bills today and they are the last one I owe. THERE'S A LIGHT AT THE END OF MY TUNNEL!! Finally. Once they're gone, it's just working to rebuild my credit rating.

Muchas gracias.

randyandy
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/December/2004 at 6:19pm

Write to HRDC Collection Services but fax the letter of concern first. Make sure that you keep a transcript of the fax being sent... and place a line under your signature for a witness to sign as well to indicate that they were present when it was faxed. This way, it is physical proof that you issued them a letter. Also, have the witness sign the registered mail order so it can be proven that you actually did send a letter and not an empty envelope.

This is a hint as to how people can protect themselves from the problems resulting from lost information, or claims of not receiving it.

Fax your letter(s) to 800-667-0135.

Mail to:

HRDC Collection Services

140 Promenade du Portage

Phase IV

2nd Floor

Hull, Quebec

K1A 0J9 

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
randyandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/December/2004 at 4:57am

YOU ROCK!

I'll let you know how it goes.

randyandy
atomic_kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomic_kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/December/2004 at 11:26am
Originally posted by michelle michelle wrote:

Hi!

You try to make a deal that will suit them and you but they refuse to give you their address so that you have no choice but to breakdown and wire the money.

CBCL tried this with me in January 2003 and it didn't get them anywhere.  The collector was rude and then had the nerve to demand I send my monthly fee by wire......now why would I pay that much when it would cost me less then that to deliver the money in person.  Since I was off that day and had nothing else to do I delivered it in person.....they had no choice as I wasn't going to pay for someone else doing something I could do for myself......and I was going away so I thought....it's out of the way and I got my post dates in....I'll have a relaxing time away... 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>