This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNordon After Me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
WantOut View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WantOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/January/2005 at 3:30pm

Just to respond to a couple of earlier posts:

In Ontario, my understanding is that collection agencies can call you between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. (and I can confirm that this has been my experience for months).

I have a question:  an earlier post was that collection agencies can't call you at work.  I have sent TWO letters to Allied, both also addressed to the Ontario Ministry of Corporate and Consumer Affairs, forbidding the CA from contacting me at work (he has been calling me two or three times a day at work for a couple of months), and that was weeks ago.  The calls continue.  Anybody know if indeed they are not supposed to call people at work?  I might actually answer my phone at home if they would just stop calling me at work@!!!

In order to discover new lands, one must be willing to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.
Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/January/2005 at 5:12pm

The 8am-9pm rule is correct. They can call you Monday to Saturday.

Lastly, some provinces will allow communication with a debtor at their place of employment. It is not something that "should" be done, however, in many cases, business hours are the only times a collector can reach their party. In certain provinces, it is absolutely against the law for a collector to communicate with a debtor at their place of employment. If you are in Ontario, then the rule is that a collector can contact you at work ONLY to 1) to make contact because all other options have failed, 2) discuss an appropriate time to have a conversation about the matter, and; 3) discuss the debt with you if it is convenient for you to do so.

Here is something that people MUST know...

If a collector is working under a provincial law that restricts him or her from communicating with you at your place of employment, and decides to break the rules and proceed to contact you, then you must have proof of this breech in directive to make it count. Otherwise, it is your word against theirs. If you take the matter to your provincial ministry, they may contact the agency to review the account notes. Collectors are intelligent, especially when it involves making sure that they leave no "foot or finger prints" that will incriminate them. In other words, your account notelines at the agency will likely not reflect that any such call was made. The collector can simply not input the information in the notelines.  

Johnny

Edited by Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
WantOut View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WantOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/January/2005 at 9:25am

Well, that figures.  Thanks for the info, Johnny.  I've been trying to find the "rules" that the CAs are supposed to be following, but so far have been unsuccessful.

So the only proof, then, would be if I saved my voicemails at work forever?  (I guess I could try to tape them, but I couldn't prove they weren't from home ....)

Oh, and I was under the impression that continuous telephone calls when someone has requested them to stop constitutes criminal harassment.  Any thoughts on this?

In order to discover new lands, one must be willing to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.
phreakgeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phreakgeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/February/2005 at 8:13am

I have a question

I have been paying my loan to Nor-don for about 3 years

It was for 15000 at start. What i would like to know is Do they charge interest on that. cause i asked for an update and they said i still owe 14500. so in 3 years i paid only 500.... and i have been paying 200 a month for that time..

any ideas what they are upto and what can i do...

thanks

Blue. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/February/2005 at 9:16am

Nordon will charge you interest at the same rate as the bank or the govt did. For example, if you had a loan with CIBC that was accruing prime plus 2.5%, then your loan with Nordon would also be accumulating prime plus 2.5%.

They should be sending you monthly statements, so you can track what you're putting on the interest and what you're putting on the principal.

What you are obsessing about is a debt. It's a loan. It's business. It's money. It contains no moral baggage. You are a decent, kind, loving and moral human being.
--Islander
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/February/2005 at 10:04am
phreakgeek

Yes both collection agencies and HRSDC will keep charging you interest.
I know my total with HRSDC is about $ 12000. I pay monthly $ 51 in interest.

So basically your interest might be about $ 64 per month. I am not sure what they charge.

So if you paid them $ 500 in three years, sadly the money would all have gone to the interest.
If you are now paying $ 200, you are most likely paying about $ 136 to the principal. So that is a good start when at least something is going to the principal.

I have not gotten to that point as of yet, but I am working on it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phreakgeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/February/2005 at 10:12am

no they said i only paid 500 over 3 years.

I have paid them 200 a month for the 3 year period.

what can i do or what should i ask for from nordon to get a look at my files. do they have to provide them to me. and do they clearly have to show what was charged to me in interest and what was paid monthly.

lugarou View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lugarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/February/2005 at 10:14am
hunter,

I think what phreakgeek was saying is that $200/month was paid for 3 years and only $500 was applied to principal. That would be about $14 of each payment made being actually applied to the principal with the other $186 going to interest. That's about $2200 paid each year for interest. What's that, 14.8% interest rate?
Did I mention I'm a Drama Queen?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phreakgeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/February/2005 at 10:16am

also is there files or forms i need to do all this.

plus file and forms from my bank i had the loan with. I have closed my account with them (well they closed it on me) even though i had been paying them with no issues. they decided one day to send me to the collection and freeze my account with no explaintion at all.

they told me they had the right to do that anytime they wanted.

i had lost all my paper and docs due to moving around so much it school i could not dispute it at the time.. but i am now wondering what are my option...

thank for all the input.. i wish i had found this site 3 years ago.

Blue. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/February/2005 at 10:31am

Originally posted by hunter hunter wrote:

Yes both collection agencies and HRSDC will keep charging you interest.

Hunter, I had loans with NSLC (federal, federal/integrated) that went to collections. I was under the understanding that CBCL could only charge me the interest that NSLC would have charged. Is that not the case? Am I actually paying double interest?

What you are obsessing about is a debt. It's a loan. It's business. It's money. It contains no moral baggage. You are a decent, kind, loving and moral human being.
--Islander
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/February/2005 at 10:50am
I am only speaking of my federal loan.
I don't even want to think what I am being on the other student loans.
That is too depressing. I don't want to even go there.
Tonto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/October/2005 at 5:21pm
Hi Michelle,
I'm a newspaper reporter in Toronto working on an expose on
abusive collection agencies. I've spoken to mark (webmaster)
and Johnny already and would like to speak to some debtors
who've had bad experiences with collection agents. I'd love to
speak to you and get your story, esp. if you're in the Toronto
area.
Please give me a call at 416-947-2341.
cheers and hope to connect!
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/October/2005 at 6:10pm

Hi Tonto,

I will call you Monday evening. I have some contacts for you. I Will talk with them this weekend and they will contact you.

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
tcsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/November/2005 at 7:44am
Hi, I'm new to having to deal with collection agencies and HRDC and have found this site very informative. I have a few questions about how these agencies handle default student loans. I was discharged from bankruptcy in Oct. 2002 and since then have kept all my student loans up to date, I received a letter from HRDC collections about 8 weeks ago rstating they were going to take my income tax refunds and apply to the guarenteed portion (pre 1995) of my loan. I replied to the letter basically saying ok and asking how I could go about getting the remainder into repayment and requesting a statement of account. They sent back a second letter dated Oct. 12 saying to send payments to the Receiver General with the mailing address, but no required payment amount. I sent back 10 post dated cheques for $150.00 each to start repayment on Nov. 2 and called them on Nov. 5th to let them know and if anything else was required to contact me. When I called, they informed me they had sent my loan to NORDON on Oct. 17th (5 days after the date on the letter they sent telling me who to send payments to). Is this standard procedure? Prior to the income tax letter there was no correspondence as they said they had to wait for my trustee to be discharged from my file. Is there any way to get the loan out of collections and back with the government? How will this be reported on my credit report? I am at a loss as to how to continue with this, does anyone have any suggestions?
CraZy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraZy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/December/2005 at 6:44am

I have been a collection Officer for 5+ years now.
If the debtors would only listen to the collector and there advise.
I try to help the debtor out with there credit issue's
But most debtors will be debtors and just ignore the credit issue.
And every collection office is now allowed by the client too sue the debtors that are either working or have a house in there name.
So good luck to those that the above applies too.

SusanfromAB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusanfromAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/December/2005 at 6:51am

This forum is for people experiencing issues with Student Loan debt....why are you  here?

And in case you missed it, here is the policy of this site....

Policy of this site:
Student loans are meant to be paid back. Help should be available for those who have an unmanagable debt burden. A higher level of service should be provided by administrators. Bankruptcy is not the answer to student debt! If you are seeking ways to avoid paying back your loan, please do not post on this site. If you have good intentions of paying your loan and are experiencing hardship and need help, you are most welcome to post here.

Hitting them hard!
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/December/2005 at 10:12pm
He's actually here to try to scam email addresses. He posted his email sending "email me" with a hotmail address. he uses this to get people's emails on this site, and then sends a slanderous and libelous letter accusing John and I of running a scam - ie this site... which it isn't... but as part of keeping this site, this guy has harassed me, threatened me with lawsuits, bankruptcy, and called me a moron, a jerk and a bunch of other things... he's come back with at least 20 different usernames todate, but

I've gotten copies of the letters.
russellmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/October/2006 at 1:52pm
I have been reading the posts on this site and have a few questions after my story: 
Here it goes....
About 2 years ago i was contacted by NORDON about my default student loan which I knew I had (who doesn't know they have a default loan?) I mad arrangements to send postdated cheques every month to pay off my loan, which I did in good faith, totalling $100 a month.  No problem occured.  In december of last year I was again contact that i had refused to pay my outstanding balance in full (duh... hwat about my cheques?) I started sending postdated cheques again at $25 a week (WHich works out to more then $100 a month)  And everyone seemed happy.  Tonight I was contact by Miss. Hill at Nordon (no first name although I insisted that I wanted it.) and she told me that I have not been paying my balance, then in the  same breath said that they have been cashing my cheques.  She stated that my balance was $6700.  which is LESS then what the gentleman told me last year, but she insists that it is MORE then what I owe.  BUT, she said I was paying 75 to principle nad 75 to interest but incurring interest of about $50 a month... call me craqy but that is LESS then the 75 so I should be bring the rate down if only by a little bit.  SHe claims that it would take me years and years to pay it off... (NO kidding)  then changed her tune saying that the amount was going UP and I was NEVER going to pay off the debt and that she was going to send it to court for a judgement.  I told her that by them cashing my cheques they were accepting my payments.  She stated she would send them back to me.  By now I was frustrated, angry and very upset so I said to send them to me, she then wanted to know "then what?" and said she would continue cashing them and calling every day  I said I didn' tknow that it was her that claimed I wasn't meeting my minimum payment.  How much is their interest rate?  On an principle of roughly $5000 (settlement amount she quoted) how much would interest be?  Is my $25 a week covering my interest?  Can she sue me?  I wanted her name to contact my MP and MPP is this a good thing to do?  I understand from Johnny's information on this forum that as long as they cash cheques (made out to ROYAL BANK not NORDON) that is considered contact and cannot be sent to court, am I wrong?  She said she was going to call everyday at dinner time for the next 5 years.  Should I let my answering machine answer an drecord those messages? What is the legislation and my rights as a debtor.  I have NEVER received anything in the mail, and when I told her that she just said "Oh, well"  I am under the impression that they are required to contact me by mail FIRST?? 
she told my to ask my parents to take out a loan against their house to pay my loan.  why should they do that?  It isn't their debt and they have debts of their own.  I am married and have a son and a job and am doing the best that I can to pay this off... but she seem to think I owed her something else.

Tonights phone call was witness by 3 other people in the house but do I have any recourse?  I feel she harrassed me but  am not sure of my rights.  Can she call everyday at dinner?  I thought they were limited to a certain number of times a week and as she has talked to me tonight and is not willing (apparently) to send me my cheques back isn't she acknowledging my attempt at payment?

How can I find out if I am really NOT paying enought to cover the interest payments? I didn't believe her because she told me two different things in five minutes.  What can I do to stop the phone calls?  They have my cheques but can I send them directly to Royal Bank made out to Royal Bank?
Hunter2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2006 at 5:13am
Contact John and get him to record your next conversation with her. That is totally unacceptable. Its really disgusting.
russellmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/October/2006 at 3:34pm
Thanks!  I'll think about contacting him.  It's funny... she hasn't called back and this weeks cheque was cashed as usual.  I think she thought she could con me into getting a loan and settling by lying to me.

Calmer the next day I did the math that she gave me and anywhich way you look at it I am paying down my loan:

half of my payment is going to principle, which to me means that my principle is constantly going down which no matter hwo I look at it means that my interest is going down porportionately.

Then the $50.00 a month interest charges... I am paying 60+ on interest alone... more then the $50.

Her third threat.... $1.37 a day in interest (Which does NOT work out to $50.00 ??) I am paying $1.78 to interest.  No I realize that that isn't much but isn't it better then not paying at all???

Thanks... I will remember this and Johnny's name and number if she calls again and I can't get through to her.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>