This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNordon After Me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
nevadakitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nevadakitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/January/2007 at 1:08am
 I just check the government site and in no way can a collection agency use threatening or obusive language. If you go to the ministry of government services you will see the guidelines. I myself am waiting to hear back as they called me at 7:21 am and 7:52. I've worked in telemarketing and as far as I know they are not suppose to block number or call before 8 am or after 9 pm. I'm waiting to hear back on these issue. They ARE suppose to give you written notice of the debt before they give you collection calls. This is listed on the government site. As for your line of credit, you bank can run a credit check at any time and stop your line of credit according to your credit history. They usually review every once in a while, I would contact them and ask why they pulled it. Hopefully this info helps.
Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/January/2007 at 1:32am
No business is allowed to use abusive language or threaten anyone that would be considered abuse. When collectors threaten to sue, then they must follow through. The problem is that collectors and agencies seem to escape detection of these ocurrences, and never seemt o get into trouble. The collection industry in Canada appears to to have a unique relationship with the provinces. After all, many of the provinces use these agencies to collect their accounts. Why would they want to interfere?

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/January/2007 at 1:33am
As for call blocking, they are allowed to do this. They do it all the time and the authorities that govern their practice know it.

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
russellmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/January/2007 at 3:34pm
Welcome to the world of Nordon!  I have been dealing with them for sometime now.  And they are NOT fun!  I have one quick question for anyone.  I have lost the address for Nordon and it is time for me to send some more postdated checks.  I tried their website but keep getting an error message!  Can anyone enlighten me on where they are now?
NotScared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotScared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2007 at 7:08am
Hi everyone,.

I am just wondering I was served with papers from Triumph Allied International  and the person came to my door with it. He handed them to my minor son before I could get to the door.

What do I do now? This is some old account from a dept.store that I thought I had settled with the store as I was off from work injured at the time and had spoken to them and they said to send them post dated cheques to cover the amount. I did. I now went and dug up all those cheques and I have them as proof that I paid them.

Is this what is called junk debt collectors? I am intending to go to the court with these. Is there anything else that I should do?

Thanks for all answers.

Money does grow on trees.
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2007 at 5:05pm
This isnt really student loan related, so perhaps you can jump over to the consumer debt forum at
http://www.cfwgroup.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2709&sid=e1e60462152db62a33f95cf10c6baabf#2709

But if anyone can answer here, go ahead!
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
brokendreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokendreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2007 at 3:54am

My favourite thing about Student Loans sending your loan to a collection agency like NorDon, is that they immediately demand your entire loan in one lump sum from the get go.

I have been out of school since 2004, when Student Loans refused to give me anymore money because of a minor blip I encountered when I had to go home during Winter Finals for a funeral for my uncle.

I'm 23 years old, working a part time job that gives me about 22 hours a week, and living on my own in a city 6 hours away from home. I have to pay rent, bills, groceries and survive on my own, and collection agencies want me to make my parents pay my bill payment for me.

I got a phone call today from NorDon requesting 13,500 dollars by the end of the day because I had failed to return a income worksheet which I had gotten in the mail this morning!

I guess I'm just scared and don't know the facts. So if anyone can help me that would be appreciated!

1) Since I've been sent to a collection agency, does the 6 year rule still apply? Meaning - can I go 6 years without contact with them and then the bill will just be voided?

2) Can they really suspend my payments from work? They have threatened to speak with my boss at work to make sure that my paychecks go to them, and not to me.

3) When they say they are taking a legal action - what exactly are they doing? Will you end up in court, and what's the worst that could happen?

mmyspc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmyspc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2007 at 1:51pm
Hi,
The address I have is 325 Milner Avenue, Suite 1112, Scarborough, Ontario, M1B 5N1

Good luck!
veruka78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote veruka78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/March/2007 at 8:11am
I just recently started dealing with Nor Don, in the last month I have received calls from 4 different people from their offices. I have talked to them and/or returned calls. But again today they called me at work, on my only day off, after I have asked each one of them to NOT call me! I keep getting different stories from everyone I talk to, I have tried to get a loan to pay off my debt, but due to low income cannot, I have tried every avenue they have suggested. Why is it the second man I talked to from there, told me to start paying $100 a month, and he would call me in a couple months to see how my situation was, as I was trying to get a new job etc. And then I get a call 3 days later from someone else telling me to pay off my balance again! Can they do this, is there anything I can get them to do to stop harassing me? I am feeling harassed and I feel I have been co-operative but due fault of my own my loan went to collection as I missed a few payments due to personal reasons and being out of country. I haven continuously paid since then and will continue to do so. Any suggestions? According to below I have done everything right, and why would one person at Nordon say my payments were acceptable, and another try to get me to pay!
bubblesb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubblesb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/August/2007 at 3:10am
I have been dealing with this company for the past few months. They will tortue you to the fullest extent. I had to change my number because of them. And they have now started with my parents number. They will not accept a little payment, they want the payment in full. I am a non working person, who is 6 months pregnant. They have even threatened to take my ei. which i later found out they cannot do. Everytime someone use to call me, I would sit there and listen to them tell me what i have to do..I told them everytime i couldn't pay it. They expect a family member to lend you like 15,000 + and you pay them back. as if.. The only way to get rid of these people is to change your number to an ulisted number, and tell everyone else never to tell them where you are.They are sneaky people. My last phone call consisted of them harrasing me, and calling me back 8 times in a row. That was the final beef with me, she swore on me. she did it all. And right now being pregnant i do not need the stress of NORDON!
NBuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NBuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/August/2007 at 11:38am
Thank God I have found this!! I have been in contact with Nordon and it hasn't been nice.  I NEVER let them get me, and this guy manipulated what I was saying and really made me feel like poo (I am a mom, i can't say Sh*t lol)
Background-been to school 3 times, this loan was the first one with RBC.  I do not want to bring this to court.  However, I am a stay at home mom with no income, my husband is scared that this is going to fall onto his credit and since the house and van are in his name...we can't have that.  I claim no money in income tax..since i make NONE.  However CHARLES doesn't get that.  I told him as soon as $5 comes in the door, it is his.  Well, then he accused me of not wanting to pay this. 
As previous posts... I am to get a co-signer since I don'thave a job, and get a loan.  They have taken my $7000 and cut it in half to be paid in full now.  Plan B was for him telling me that I HAD to send 6 pdcheques for 99.99 to provide a payment for the next 6 months then we can revise the situation.  He blew up with me when I told him I don't know how I will find the money in the budget, but I had to look at it and discuss this with my husband.
The calls are too much since I am at home with the kids.  I can't talk to him with 2 kids climbing on me, wanting things, cooking, and potty training!! Like he cares. 
I get the need to be firm, but I am nothing but understanding and ready to cut deals with him if he would stop threatning me in round about ways and yelling at me. He was rude and annoying and I hung up on him.
We are sooo trying hard to get my husband's credit back on track and then mine.  My husband is scared of them taking money from his income tax.  Which I don't think they will do.
Also, if I can't communicate with this guy, what do I do?  Written letters with voice mails stating Im sending letters.?
This website is hugely informative!  I just don't know what to do before someone posts a msg! lol
So the question is, how do you make them happy...even at $5 a month, they have to take it.  then what?  I am at home for a while.  My kids are 2.5 and 1.5.
Thanks!!

As another post..not that this is an option..but with bankruptcy and letting things roll of your credit report...they don't do that with loans do they??

I also have Federal loans which I have to deal with as well?  OH! SHould I mail the cheques right to the RBC student loans?  And the federal loans?  Or mail them a letter first?
Krista-Stay at home mom
assilem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assilem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/August/2007 at 4:02pm
i have also been dealing with a so called MR RAYMOND from nor don collections regarding my student loan, he has harassed me calling me a welfare bum(although i work and go to school), he also will no longer accept my payments and says that i have to get the full amount by august 31/2007 or he will close the file and take me to court to garnish 20% of each pay check every month until the amount is paid in full, and he says that i have to cover the court fees of at least $1,600 or more, i have no idea if this is true or not but what i do know is that this MR RAYMOND character is pos, he has harassed me, insulted my intelligence and made me feel like i was worthless, it makes absolutely no sense to me that this person who is fully aware of my finances would not accept $50 OR $100 payments every month because he says that the loan has gone to far and that it is too late for setting up a payment plan, he would rather take me to court (for what, i do not know), add more charges to my loan which i am having enough difficulty paying and garnish my wages 40% every month, that really makes no sense to me.  Has anyone ever heard of this?  i have also received a lovely letter recently(in which i found three spelling mistakes, how professional) from a cindy cohen who apparently is the  lawyer who is taking me to court, anyone ever heard of her? 
please if anyone knows anything about this stuff let me know, i am very frustrated by this person and i am running out of time and things to say, i have three young children, i am a full time college student and i work 30 hours a week for rogers wireless in sudbury, i am physically, emotionally and mentally drained and everyone in my surroundings is feeling it especially my kids, it is not fair to them, however because of this MR RAYMOND, i cannot sleep or eat and i am feeling very trapped,
it is what it is,
assilem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assilem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/August/2007 at 4:07pm
please help!!!
it is what it is,
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/August/2007 at 2:29pm
If you would like this problem resolved, call me. You can rech me at www.cfwgroup.ca , or call 902-835-1210.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
-JMS- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -JMS- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/September/2007 at 6:50pm
Seriously guys...if you really want your NORDON issues resolved you absolutely need to speak with Johnny. It's a huge relief to get them off your back. He resolved my issues a few months ago and I got a message on my phone from them a few weeks ago, but I wasn't worried. I called them back and sure enough it was just a 'regular' call to see if I had thought any more into settling my debts with a loan from family or a bank. I said I couldn't and they were fine. Polite even. Trust me...Johnny is your best bet in the war against these jerks.
Good luck!
"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments."
            - William H. Borah
Pneumonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pneumonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/September/2007 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by assilem assilem wrote:

i have also been dealing with a so called MR RAYMOND from nor don collections regarding my student loan, he has harassed me calling me a welfare bum(although i work and go to school), he also will no longer accept my payments and says that i have to get the full amount by august 31/2007 or he will close the file and take me to court to garnish 20% of each pay check every month until the amount is paid in full, and he says that i have to cover the court fees of at least $1,600 or more, i have no idea if this is true or not but what i do know is that this MR RAYMOND character is pos, he has harassed me, insulted my intelligence and made me feel like i was worthless, it makes absolutely no sense to me that this person who is fully aware of my finances would not accept $50 OR $100 payments every month because he says that the loan has gone to far and that it is too late for setting up a payment plan, he would rather take me to court (for what, i do not know), add more charges to my loan which i am having enough difficulty paying and garnish my wages 40% every month, that really makes no sense to me.  Has anyone ever heard of this?  i have also received a lovely letter recently(in which i found three spelling mistakes, how professional) from a cindy cohen who apparently is the  lawyer who is taking me to court, anyone ever heard of her? 
please if anyone knows anything about this stuff let me know, i am very frustrated by this person and i am running out of time and things to say, i have three young children, i am a full time college student and i work 30 hours a week for rogers wireless in sudbury, i am physically, emotionally and mentally drained and everyone in my surroundings is feeling it especially my kids, it is not fair to them, however because of this MR RAYMOND, i cannot sleep or eat and i am feeling very trapped,

We have just had the pleasure of dealing with Mr.Raymond tonight to the point of an argument ensuing between myself and my husband.

And yes, he received the same BS letter from Cindy Cohen.

Mr.Raymond was even nice enough to give my husband a list along with numbers to high interest lending institutions.

My hubby has been paying this thing off for years and has no intention of stopping but trying to make him see that trying to rationalize with a collection agency is an effort in futility is nerve wrecking.

He's not unique, you're not unique...They run the same game on everyone they deal with and sometimes it pays off for them and sometimes it doesn't. 

Keep paying what you can and documenting everything you can. 

Another thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that it is my understanding that mediation is almost always involved IF this was ever brought to court...Seems like a waste of time if you ask me for a collection agency to go to court with the only hope of a paying client to remain a paying client...

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/January/2008 at 10:43am

This is very interesting. THis collector is Mr. Rahman (I think is the correct spelling). There are quite a few people posting messages about his collection tactics and behavior. When you call his desk at 800-268-5638 (Extension 5589), his voice mail says: "You have reached Mr. Rahman, default investigation and enforcement unit, please leave your name, telephone #, and case # ..." He is a collector for this agency, not an default invstigation or enforcement unit guy. This is a clear example of how collectors use creative titles to make you think they are more important than being a debt collector. Using the words "enforcement" and "investigator" puts fear into the minds of those calling him who are getting his voice mail. The scary part is that his voice mail says this, what is he actually telling people he is or does for this company?

solvestudentdebt.com
jesster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jesster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2008 at 10:58am
i have a question, i never rec'd any paper work and nordon is calling me and they are saying unless i come up with so much of the money they will garnish my wages 33.3 % and there is nothing i can do, so this means i cant make payments or decrease how much percent they take?? please help!! :(
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/April/2008 at 10:11am
33% is false. Can't happen. Who are they collecting for?

solvestudentdebt.com
holygeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holygeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/April/2008 at 1:26am
I also started getting calls from NORDON...no letter in the mail, no warning...a simple call of "you owe us x amount and you need to go to the bank and get a loan."
This is SO tiring. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>