This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNordon After Me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/April/2008 at 1:20pm
If you need help, you know where to find us.
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Sponsored Links

brentB6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brentB6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2008 at 5:32am
I recieved a call at work from Carrie McVicar of Nordon who told me that by 1:00 pm if I did not pay them they were contacting my employer and would be garnishing my wages up to 33%. She then told me that I should contact anyone I know and borrow the money or go to banks and try and get a loan. I told her that I never revieved any notification of garnishment and was told that the nature of my loan didn't require them to give me notification. I recorded the phone call. I told her that I am in a position to pay them (I had already made an appointment with Credit Counselling, havent had it yet) and she refused to take payments. In fact ever since I have had dealings with collection agencies they have never been willing to take payments...even though I have offered. Not sure what to do. Ouch
bigdjindustriez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdjindustriez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2008 at 9:51am
When the company which you owe money to (or they say you do) calls "nordon", nordon puts your number into an autodialer which automatically dials your number at a predetermined time of day every day. The only way the calls will stop is if they remove your number from their automated dialing system, which of course they will not do because they simply enjoy harassing people. The last call I got was a few months ago, the woman started going on and I said "ok lady, if you call here again I'm going to hunt you down and cut your f**king throat" to which she replied "oo you can't do that i'm calling the police". I said "yea ok you do that" and I hung up. I Then proceeded to call my service provider and have my number changed to an unlisted number, and haven't had a call since. They still send me junk in the mail, but I just wrote "deceased" on the envelope and sent it back. Hope that helps.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2008 at 8:26am
Hi Brent,

what is your desired outcome here?

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
brentB6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brentB6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2008 at 9:51am
Hi John. My initial desired outcome was to work with them and make payments. But they refused. I am now in the position to pay this back but I do not want to deal with Nordon....or any collection agency for that matter, I just don't trust them. Can I deal with anyone else regarding this ?   I have an appointment with credit counselling for next week...is this the right course for me to take? I am not even sure what I owe anymore. I have 4 loans total in Ontario. I have not been rude with them other than having to hang up. It seems they spend all this time calling yet don't want to talk to youAngry . I could have been making payments a year ago but again...it's all or nothing and have never wanted to accept payments. I get billed from HRDC as well and am not sure if this is the same loan????? I am to afraid to call them (HRDC)in fear that I will open another can of worms.

A footnote to my initial post.
My wife works part tme a the local police station. She discussed Nordon's tactitcs as far as calling me at work and giving me what I think is misleading and detrimental info with a detective. THe detective told her that if it continues to give him the name of the company and the representative (Carrie McVicar) and he will call her and notify them that they are only to contact me via mail and that anymore phone calls at home or work would be considered harrassment and she would be charged.

He went on to tell my wife that they get complaints about this everyday. I found that interesting and doubt that every police agency would get involved like that. Lastly my biggest fear is that they contact my employer and have my wages garnished. According to Carrie McVicar they don't need anything else other than notify me by phone and it's done. If this is true I feel that they are in the process of doing this now. Funny thing is....I get nervous when the phone rings....and get nervous when it doesn't. Nobody called today.....what the hell is up with that.

Thanks For listening Johnny.

P.S. Threatening a collection agency with violence is not a good idea...not at all. Shocked
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/May/2008 at 12:03am
Listen, you do not have to go to a non-profit collection agency to get on a payment with a student loan provider, or another collection agency. YOu can do this on your own. Call me and I will show you how. These are collection agencies. THey do not work for you. They work for your creditors. They both are paid a commission by your creditors to collect for them.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
cayt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/May/2008 at 10:02am
Johnny;

I have a total of four student loans two of which I have consistently paid each month since 2004.  The federal student loan and BC student loan I cannot afford - total of approximately 600.00 each month.  If I can only afford 50.00 per loan at this time how can I arrange this until I can get back working for a decent income?  When I spoke with the collections agency - BC revenue services they stated they won't take any payment plan.  How can I deal with this??
brentB6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brentB6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/May/2008 at 2:01pm
Hi Johnny. I filled out a form on your site last week (maybe early this week) and left a message for you yesterday. Since my last post I recieved this letter from NorDon

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

This is your FINAL NOTICE to pay or make arrangements to pay this account before we recommend our solicitor (s) take further action against you.

A Default Judgement may last TWENTY (20) years and be enforced TEN (10) years from the date it is obtained by the courts. With Default Judgement we may be able to execute a writ to seize assets such as vehicles, bank accounts and/or investment instruments or certficates. We may also be allowed to garnishee wages, attach liens,implement encumbrances on mortgages, and any commison based income may be subject to 100 per cent attachment.

Be advised that before we recommend that further action be taken against you we are still prepared to assist you. We must hear from you within 48 hours of receipt of this notice. We hereby ask that you contact this office at 1-800-268-5638 or you will leave us no alternative but to commnece action against you.

Govern Yourself Accordingly

There is no signature or extension as to who it is from at Nordon.

I'll give you a call tomorrow Johnny.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/May/2008 at 4:31pm
Tomorrow is fine, Brent,

Cayt,

I don't know how you can deal with this. What I do know is that I can deal with this and solve it for you. It is up to you if you want my help. If so, let me know. I will get you some good results.

solvestudentdebt.com
needhelp123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needhelp123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/May/2008 at 7:19am
Johnny, I got the same letter that Brent did...and they want 14,000 dollars right away, or at least half by Monday.  I don't have that kind of money. Can you help me.  How do I get a hold of you?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/June/2008 at 1:11am
Need,

You can reach me at 902-835-1210, or my assistant (Terri) @ 902-876-3814.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
firerunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firerunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/June/2008 at 8:08am
I have a story to tell its kinda long so bare with me..:)
Jan 2000 I was enrolled at U of T I was a single mom and working full time. My life sucked! (joke) But it was insane. March of that year, I got sick, really really sick. In jan 2001 I was told I have MS. By this time I was unemployed and out of school and on ODSP (ontario disability support program) I was doing self catheters to pee, my legs where dragging from the Ms attack, double vision ect. It kicked me on my BUTT!!

While off sick I went online and I meant this man wonderful man and even with the MS and two kids we fell in love. I married him in 2002. The kids and I legally immigrated to the USA and to this day we have never been happier.

During this time I paid my student loans. I struggled, and borrowed money and ate at food banks to pay them. No one told me about Loan forgiveness. NO ONE. Even being on ODSP no one said a word.

In 2003 I found out about Loan forgiveness and applied from the USA to Canada. My Canadian Neurologist and my US Neurologist both wrote stating I would never ever ever work again. 

And the refused me,.

They said..I was no longer entitled to Loan Forgiveness since I was no longer residing in Canada. I swear its like a legal immigrant is a non entity. Not a US Citizen so no rights here and every time I tried to get somewhere in Canada..I was told..you dont reside here.

I finally said to heck with this and stopped paying (june 2003 to be exact).

And then the calls began...:) Nordon collections a Mr Rahaman aka Big Arse..:)

I would say I have MS, I will never ever work again.

He would threaten me to come to florida to get me (his words) He also informed 5 mins into the conversation that the call was being recorded (ILLEGAL!!) When he was done yelling at me..he said and  the man was yelling so loud that my husband heard him, and i quote "Its B****es like you that I enjoy suing" and he hung up on me.

No kidding

Well I was hot.
So I shot off a letter to 
Ministry of Government and Consumer Services.
Consumer Protection Branch
5775 Yonge Street Suite 1500 Toronto Ont M7A 2E5

In the letter I made my points 1) He called after 9.00 (He refuted this)
2) He illegally recorded our call
3) I have MS as I have stated and proven and doctors have said I am unfortunate but I will never work again . I did NOT choose to get sick and would glady pay back their stupid money to be healthy ya know..

But anyways.

SO I sent a letter to them and their reply was

Sorry you no longer reside in Ontario - Well again I was not impressed and pursued this matter

This week I received a letter from the Consumer Protection Branch

To summarize...

The investigated my complaint and "as a courtesy"  (since I no longer reside in Canada) they contacted NorDon.
Here is their findings

1) Our telephone conversation was being recorded and that is illegal without the consent of both parties so the call has been destroyed.
2) He did not call after 9.00 PM it was 8:55 (please)
3) He did not call me names or hang up on me (well we have no recorded call to prove that now do we??)
4) They have never been in contact with me until this day (March 26 2008). Which really is a joke for Nordon also replied to my complaint and said "Prior to July 2007 The consumer had communciated her medical condition...." Ok wait a sec they told the Consumer Protection Branch That they had never made contact with me until March of this year and then in a letter attached to it said July 2007.

Goes to show you how this company contradicts itself.

But there is an ending in sight at least for me for Nordon Also stated that they have closed my account as noncollectable.  

So my point...
If you ill and cant pay due to illness APPLY FOR LOAN FORGIVENESS!!!!!! Do this ASAP.

If you cant pay as in my case and you know I did not pick to be sick. I would gladly trade in my wheelchair for a job. To walk, to drive, to pee, and pay this loan. But I can't.  And I didn't give up. Don't give up and don't allow this company to push you around. Contact the Consumer protection Branch as I did.  file complaints. Write down dates and times of calls and write a short synopsis of each call. Keep harassing letters ect (i have letters from them  stating they are coming to Florida to sue me which really is a joke for different states have different laws and Florida is a debt friendly state aka they cant garnishee wages, put liens on principal properties ect. ) 

But dont allow them to do this to you.

so thats my story I hope it might have helped someone

be good

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firerunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/June/2008 at 9:16am
Also as a side note just so everyone is aware when dealing with these agencies that according to the Collection Agencies Act you have the RIGHT to send out a registered letter to Nordon or ANY collection agency that is harassing you stating you no longer wish any communication with them except through mail. No calls.

The have to follow the law and have to stop calling you. this doesn't mean you are free and clear what it does mean is that you will not get any more calls.

Be sure the letter is registered with all the bells and whistles (return receipt ect)

hope that helps

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/June/2008 at 8:35am
You wrote:

"He would threaten me to come to florida to get me (his words) He also informed 5 mins into the conversation that the call was being recorded (ILLEGAL!!) When he was done yelling at me..he said and  the man was yelling so loud that my husband heard him, and i quote "Its B****es like you that I enjoy suing" and he hung up on me."

That certainly sounds like "Rockin Rahman". Did you ever call his # and get his voice mail? 
"You've reached Mr. Rahman with the default and investigations unit Royal Bank .. something ...".  I have a recording of that voice mail introduction. It is all part of the industry's character - collectors create these titles that make themselves appear more powerful than they actually are.

Here is something to think about - The government uses NorDon to collect their accounts. They depend on this collection agency, among others. You follow me here?

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firerunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/June/2008 at 10:03am
Hi Johnny and great work you do here!

Because of the MS I never called. MS is aggravated by stress.

I will tell you though I did a huge amount of research in the USA about Debt. (I have a degree in Finance so I am familiar with Canada Debt) I found out that each state has different laws regarding Debt some states, like Florida, is a Debtor friendly state, its almost impossible for any creditor to do anything here whereas PA is a creditor friendly state.  Same with phone calls, in Florida it is illegal to record a call without the consent of both parties.  Other states its different. And of course its different in Canada.

So I was surprised that this so call "know it all" was pulling the stunts he did. I told him to educate himself before wasting his time to come to Florida after a wheelbound woman.  I think thats when he made the B remark  and hung up on me.

I was also greatly surprised by the letter that the Consumer Protection Branch sent stating NorDon Closed the Account.  It does state that Nordon Can resell the debt to a different collection agency and this might start all over again. However I am fully aware of this and  ready.

I do have to ask though -- have you ever heard of Loan Forgiveness denying a person due to "no longer residing in Canada?" I have the rejection letter and that is exactly what it states. That I am no longer entitled to this for I don't reside there. (even though I am a candian citizen)

anyways be good

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/June/2008 at 3:43am
I have heard of this. When you leave Canada, it seems that your rights to certain benefits are no longer.

solvestudentdebt.com
paulaffleck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulaffleck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2008 at 7:49am
Having just read through this thread, one thing strikes me as odd.  It's not a criminal act to record a private conversation, when at least one of the parties is aware that the conversation is being recorded.  It is illegal for the police to record a private conversation between two parties, but that's wiretapping which must be judicially authorized.

But it is NOT a criminal act in Canada for one party to record a private conversation between him and a second party.

-Paul
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2008 at 11:13am

No. As long as one party agrees. That is the way the law is written. Whoever wrote it must have been semi-conscious.

solvestudentdebt.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2008 at 11:13am

No. As long as one party agrees. That is the way the law is written. Whoever wrote or passed it must have been semi-conscious at the time.

solvestudentdebt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firerunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2008 at 11:20am
In the state of Florida it is illegal to record a conversation without the consent of both parties.  This was the problem with Nor Don they call me here in Florida threatening me, telling me they are coming to Florida to get me,   and aren't even aware of the laws here.  The letter they sent me admitted that they were wrong and they "proceeded to destroy the recording."
Not sure in Canada..:)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>