This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNordon After Me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
jotogo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jotogo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nordon After Me
    Posted: 27/February/2004 at 1:16pm

Hi.  If anyone has some advice to give, I would love to hear it.  I had a line of credit while I was in school and had to use it quite a bit to support myself.  When I began working, I would deposit all of my cheques into this account and then live out of it again.  The principle was not going down, but the payments were being made and the principle was not increasing.  Suddenly they seized my account and froze it.  I could no longer make the payments because I was only working part time and needed the money to live.  I was also pregnant and would not be working for too much longer.  Now I have had my baby and the debt has been refered to Nordon Collections.  I was told that of course, I had to pay in full, and then he offered for me to pay half with monthly payments following.  I said I have no money, no job and no assets.  He said that he would take me to court, seize my bank accounts, prevent me from owning anything for the next 19 years and then fine me the court costs.  I was terrified. 

I got a copy of my credit report and it says that the loan has been paid and closed by credit grantor.  What does that mean?  It no longer exists to the bank?  Have they written it off?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Jen

Sponsored Links

Nicesmile4all View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicesmile4all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/February/2004 at 3:20pm
Your report is showing closed by credit grantor, yes....but it has now been reported to collections. It will soon, if not already, be showing as an unapid collection under "Collection items" or "Public record" on your report. Equifax and Trans Union can be up to 90 days behind in reporting. But as for freezing bank accounts going to court etc, you need not worry. Unless you have assets to lein such as a home or new car, in which you own outright or have equity in , the will only "harass" you until you pay. Just send them a financial breakdown of your finances with proof of income such as EI etc. This will show you inability to pay. If you can afford "small" post dated chq's then send a few along with that. What happens is your account will bw put on a holding desk while the post dates are going through. You won't hear from them again until your cheques have run out, at which time your account will be put out onto the "active Collection" floor. I have been a collector for 8 years, still at it. Let me know if you hav any other q's. 
jotogo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jotogo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/February/2004 at 7:54am

Thanks for the info.  I thought about sending some post dated cheques, but was told that those would not be good enough unless I came up with a lump sum payment to begin with.  I am not working right now and cannot come up with anything remotely close to what this collector wants me to.  It is good to know that I will not be taken to court right now...I don't think I could deal with that on my plate right now.  I don't own anything they could put a lein on nor do I have any large amounts of cash stashed away (I wish).  So I think I will take your advice and send along a few post dated cheques to tide them over for the time being.  T

hanks again for your reply.

Jen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicesmile4all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/February/2004 at 8:24am
No probelm.......just remember when your post dated cheques run out, call them before they call you, it shows intent, no judge will argue that! And, it gives you the upper hand. God, I hate collectors......post dates even $5...ha ha.....it pisses them off, and they have to take it...oh ya and you can even make payment (sometimes) directly to the Creditor, even though the agency sez u cant. They really hate that cause it takes them months to get thier commission that way....Good luck!!!
Ex-Collector, for a reason..... So I can help not hurt.
jotogo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jotogo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/February/2004 at 12:30pm

Another thanks....just a quick question....by making the payment directly to the creditor, do you mean the institution where I had the line of credit?  If that's the case, would I make the cheques out in the bank's name?  Would five dollars really be acceptable?  I think I could swing five bucks...haha.  Maybe $50 would be a little better for keeping everyone happy and making me look like I am really trying.  The last thing I want to do is shirk on an agreement, but the way thinks happened I had no choice....they made it so I had no choice.  If they had just let me continue the way I was before, I would have kept the account in good standing and been able to pay down the principle at a later time.  That way, I would not have messed up my credit and the bank would not have to be fighting with me nor sending me to collections.  It is very frustrating that they couldn't understand that they were not only cutting off my ability to pay, but that they were hurting themselves too.  Banks!!!

Jen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicesmile4all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/February/2004 at 5:07pm
yes , directly to the creditor, most of the time they will accept your payment even if in collections. When you send payment to collection agency, aslo make your cheque payable to your "Bank" with the account # , the agency can still deposit inot their account, it's just easier that way for your own records. And yes, $50 is better if u can. But they can't refuse $5 either...good luck.
Ex-Collector, for a reason..... So I can help not hurt.
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/February/2004 at 5:14pm

When people send cheques to the creditor or government, they are forwarded to the agency in all cases. The better way to do this is make the cheque payable to the party that you owe the money to, and not the agency. By doing this, it also keeps your affairs private thus your bank sees that you are paying a creditor and not a collection agency. Just a useful tip in building financial relationships.

For student loans, agencies cannot refuse payments regarding CSLP or Provincial. The bank cure, risk, or risk-shared come with more unusual colelction tacics to press for payment. Pay what you can afford, and substantiate it. That will help those who are being pressed. If the pressing continues, simply know that there are no legal avenues to enforce the issue - unless an individual can pay more that what they are claiming. Collectors look at this side of things also. Student loans are not sued as much as colelctors say they are. That is the reality.

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
shaddy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaddy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2004 at 10:24am

How do i find out who my student loan was with?? One would be the goverment i assume and the other with the bank of Nova Scotia. I don't think i have any of the paper work from way back then. What other avenue can i take to find this out??

Thanks in advance!!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/March/2004 at 2:21am

The only way to find out if you are unsure is to call the HRDC or NSLC for info on federal loans, or the bank that you had borrowed from.

If you call them, just stick to the question that you have. They will likely require information about you to identify the accounts. Use your judgment when divulging information to the representative(s).

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
michelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/March/2004 at 1:30pm

I realize that it doesn't matter what amount you give these people but I have a story for you..In 2002 I began paying ScotiaBank whatever I could afford at the time $100.00 here and sometimes more..They said that wasn't enough to pay the minimum, I said I am sorry but thats all I can do for the moment and if I was able to pay more then I would..Well last year 2003 in the month of October I decided to give them only $50.00...They cashed it so I was under the impression that they really had no choice but to accept it...Wrong...they wrote me a check for the same amount $50.00 and said that we were unable to accept your payment because it is not enough to meet the amount required (something like that)..I never did cashed it and don't plan too cause if I bring them to court it will look bad for them...Anyways they sent letters upon letters prior to that saying you are behind BLA BLA BLA...but I kept giving them an amount every month anyways...After they wrote me that check I then sent them 4 post dated checks for $125.00/month..They sent all of them back asking that if I didn't want my loan to go to collections they asked to pay $130.00 for 6 months...Last week I get a nice call from NCO collections saying I needed to pay X amount of money to them...At this point I am confused...I politely asked the girl if my loan is in collections why wasn't I notified in writing..She says oh we did send you a letter last week...2 weeks has passed and still no letter..I simply told her that unless you have eveything in writing you and I aren't conducting any business and that is my right..She would'nt even give me the company address...I told her well i guess you don't want my money and that maybe your company might be a fraud what do you say anout that...Well she hung up...Anyways does anybody know this company or has anybody had dealings with them concerning student loans I really would love to know..

thanks

Michelle

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/March/2004 at 10:03am

Hi Michelle,

NCO Financial Services Inc (Brantford)

Work: (519)750-6000
Fax: 519-750-6088

1 Market Street, Suite 310
Brantford, Ontario
N3T 6C8

They are a collection agency that collects many items, Federal Student Loans being one of them. If you are not able to pay your student loan you need to contact the people that actually hold the note loan. Student Loans split up into three parts when they default. Prior to 1999 any loans were granted through banks and the securing parties "Cosigners" on your loan would have been the federal gov't Provincal gov't and the bank. Each of these parties have to secure a portion of your loan. When you default they all send your file to collections in different agencies and time frames. But one thing remains the same, if you really can not meet your obligation with them you can fill out a Finanacial Assesment form and tell them what you can afford, Bill Collectors will not tell you of this form cause they want PIF payment in full.

Second, if a collection agency ever refuses to give you info like that again, they are breaking the law, bill collectors are all licenced with the Ministry of Consumer and Business Services 416-326-8800. You can log a complaint against the collector and agency. All provinces have a gov't body regulating the. The agency has to give you their licence number.

Hope this helps.  

michelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2004 at 3:02pm

Hi!

I want to know if anyone has ever dealt with CBCL..If so I would like to hear their stories cause they are making my blood boil by being nasty, rude and do nothing but mentally abuse people and that is a crime..Nobody deserves to be treated in that fashion and they should be charged for that..You try to make a deal that will suit them and you but they refuse to give you their address so that you have no choice but to breakdown and wire the money.They are refusing to accept my monthly payment and they are demanding $1500 byt the end of this month.There's no way i can come up with that amount I would starve and I am at the point where I just want to quit my job and just be  a bum for life but I hold a very respectful job and can't afford to lose it because of them..What can I do?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2004 at 3:36pm

Write a detailed letter to the attewtion of Mr. Sterritt at CBCL's head office. Also, copy it to the Ontario Ministry. That will work.

The ministry in Ontario is a little less productive than most others fro reasons only known to themselves. If your complaint is severe enough, they will warrant an investigation. By writing directly to Mr. Sterritt, you will certainly get their attention.. and by copying the ministry, it will certainly hit a certain nerve.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2004 at 3:40pm

Also, be very detailed in your written complaint. Give facts, describe the way the collector(s) treat you, etc. Don't threaten anything other than copying the ministry. Your complaint is about "concern" and "a request for action". Coying the ministry is threatening enough.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
overwhelmed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overwhelmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/March/2004 at 2:42pm

I dealt with CBCL about 2 years ago.  I received a phone call one evening from a "Steve Anderson", after a short conversation, I did offer to make monthly payments on my CSL, but he refused and very rudly reminded me "you owe us $19 000 and you have until Friday to pay it".   I told him I would have to lift up my mattress and count my "stash" first.   Then he hung up.  Now, 2 years later, I can't find that loan - don't know who has it or what the balance is.  If only they had accepted my offer, I wouldn't be in this situation.

Steve no longer works there - I wonder why!

michelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/March/2004 at 2:57pm

Hi! Overwhelmed..

CBCL are one of the worst Collections agency next to Equifax that I ever had dealings with..The girl I dealt with on our first contact was extremely arrogant..She was trying to intimidate me and when she couldn't make me cry or plead with her she then raised her voice and began to make her threats I simply told her "Ok Jayne you are obviously not making it any easier on the both of us so I guess I am going to have to do this the hard way".Be prepared to receive a letter..Then she began acting like a child and I then told her the "F" word and hung up..I then changed my phone number to an unlisted number..I also consulted with Johnny and I don't think I'll be getting any more headaches..This girl also left a nasty message on my answering machine and I tend to have it recorded and keep it in my files..Their practices should be outlawed no one should have to go throught this kind of abuse we are not all deadbeats..If they don't want to give you the chance to make monthly payments then I usually say "well then I guess you don't want my money so have a nice day"..Better yet send them monopoly money..

see yah,

Gary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/March/2004 at 4:14pm
hey michelle

I myself have a student loan account in Nordon collections. Im so ticked off that a collector disclosed info to my mom. Im also a collecter and have been for about a year so ive been on both sides of the spectrum.
yea i know a thing or two about nasty messages but you know it is a good idea to keep those recordings as backup because since they are a third party collection agency they cannot disclose any info about the debt as far as i know. You can probably get the collecter in trouble. but i could be wrong cause i dont work for a canadian collection agency i work an U.S accounts so the set of laws are different from the ones in canada. But i worked with a few people that did disclose info and you know what? they were fired. An example of differences in laws is in the U.S you can call as early as 8 am in the morning but in canada i think it is 7am... talk about a wakeup call. Ok im finished ranting
Gary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/March/2004 at 4:21pm
opps wait a min... ive just been reading some posts and there is talk about NCO wow i didnt think NCO was that big they have many offices in the U.S as well. The reason i know this is because sometimes other collection agencies such as NCO some collectors dont know how the close accounts out properly and when they are sent to our office they say they already paid it...

ok im finished for now
lojack5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lojack5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/March/2004 at 9:06pm

Originally posted by Gary Gary wrote:

hey michelle 
An example of differences in laws is in the U.S you can call as early as 8 am in the morning but in canada i think it is 7am... talk about a wakeup call. Ok im finished ranting

the times vary from province to province, In Ontario I think its 7am to 8pm. Never on Sunday or Statatory holidays. Collectors have one `late night' where they stay until 8 pm. This is normally on a Thursday.

lojack5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lojack5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/March/2004 at 9:09pm

Originally posted by Gary Gary wrote:

opps wait a min... ive just been reading some posts and there is talk about NCO wow i didnt think NCO was that big they have many offices in the U.S as well. The reason i know this is because sometimes other collection agencies such as NCO some collectors dont know how the close accounts out properly and when they are sent to our office they say they already paid it...

ok im finished for now

NCO is one of the smaller less professional agencies. Collectcorp, CBCL, Nordon, NCO, Nova, CBV..... its breaks down like that.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>