This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA few questions...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A few questions...
    Posted: 30/March/2017 at 10:34am
If you are prepared to put the time in it and push your way through their bureaucracy to have a voice they will listen.  
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Sponsored Links

badhairdaylady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badhairdaylady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2017 at 10:13am
Well I'm at a point where I think I'm going to disappear.  I've had it!  I'm not likely to ever pay this loan, I can't even cover the interest.  My teeth are all falling out, maybe I should send them a pic!  I work part time, max 28 hours/week, low wage, I make 1300 or less a month.  I've lived without heat most of the winter trying to save on costs and because I have $85 extra a month, they want it.

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2017 at 9:27am
An informal appeal for hardship is something you do. They do not help you do it, and in almost all cases, they discourage borrowers from doing it even though it is their right to be heard. The Canada Student Loans Program is a business and it pays hundreds of millions of dollars to one third-party business to manage the program's accounts and borrowers. It is not in their best interest to help you despite the heavily reliance they have on saying they do. 

The statute of limitations is a law that, when it applies to you, the debt can no longer be recovered by legal process and recovery. 

If you meet the criteria for a reading of your proposal and demonstration then they have to do take it into consideration with fairness. The criteria is just that - hardship with extenuating circumstances that illustrates your inability to pay - and will continue to impede your ability. It is a very comprehensive and time consuming ordeal.  The only way for me to determine if you meet certain or all criterion is to do a thorough assessment and analysis. That takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the degree and scope.    

My company serves as a resource for student loan borrowers in making these approaches, and mediation. I am up to my waist in these types of cases because of the number of people in hardship that the governments and banks want to press down on. 

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
badhairdaylady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badhairdaylady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2017 at 6:44am
I have a few questions regarding student debt:

1.  What is the definition of statutes barred?  If I haven't made a payment since 2010, does that qualify, however, if they take my income tax and have me fill out a financial questionnaire does that qualify?  Do I need to disappear completely?

2.  How do I go about appealing the decision on my hardship assessment?  

3.  When is it ever right for a gov. office employee to tell a borrower to take out a bank loan to pay down the interest or to buy lottery tickets and hope to hell I win so I can pay off the loan?

4.  Why won't these officials give clear answers.  I've been trying to find out their definition of hardship criteria and no one will answer this and get quite angry when I insist!  If they don't have answers they're quite quick to pass the buck onto another gov. agency who absolutely don't have the answers!
 Post Reply Post Reply