This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow do I know if my loan has been written off?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I know if my loan has been written off?
    Posted: 26/May/2021 at 10:11pm
You can reach one of us at https://solvestudentdebt.com/contact/

Please provide as much detail as you can about your loan and what you want to acheive. 

Johnny 
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Sponsored Links

Sp3nc3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sp3nc3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2021 at 6:53am
Hi Johnny. I was wondering if you are taking on any clients at the moment, or will have an availability any time soon? I have a loan in default since 2005 and sent to collections. I am on disability and really trying to get my life together. I can’t rent a place with my Canada student loan lingering on my report. I was recently told by my counsellor it would be best for my health to get into my own place. But it seems very hard when this is looming over my credit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

S
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/September/2018 at 3:50am
These are not questions that can be simply answered without some serious thought andd analysis really. It requires some research. 

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Baxter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/September/2018 at 1:22pm
Hi Johnny, I was just curious if getting my Transunion report would alert creditors to me as it seems they have stopped calling.

My other question is since it's now close to 8 years for my bc and fed student loan should I do bankruptcy or wait for them to be written off.

Last and finally, was the question ever answered where if I do my taxes will the bc government take my money and re instate my loan? I was living out of the country for some time and HAVNT filed them.
HelloDaisy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HelloDaisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/September/2018 at 9:17am
Hello
I had a Federal Student loan, which is on my credit report, with a last tranasction date of October 2012. I haven't lived in Canada since then, and had to default due to health issues. I haven't had a job, so I ignored all the letters and contact that I've received since then. However now I have moved back to Canada and have a job and am wondering if this will soon fall off due to the Statue of Limitations. If I don't acknowledge the debt till October, when 6 years have passed since the last date on it, will it be removed from my credit report? When I File taxes for the first time with an income in Canada on it, will they take my refund, even if it's passed the SOL?
If I send a payment to the CRA/ Employment and Social Development in the next month before it's been 6 years, then I will restart the clock, correct?
benjamin.floss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benjamin.floss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/April/2018 at 12:41pm
Thanks so much for all the work you do here! I'm in a similar boat, here is my breakdown:

- Studied in Alberta, never completed my degree, but my last date of school was in 2010. 
- I have provincial and federal loans. 
- Provincial has gone to the CBV collections agency and I have never acknowledged the debt. 
- Federal Loans have been removed from the NSLSC (so i have no active loans there), and they said they have been returned to the gov. due to lack of payment. 
- For a short time on the federal loan I applied for the repayment assistance program. I can't remember the exact last date of that but it would for sure go no further than 2012. After that I ceased all communication and they do not have my current contact info (and i no longer live in alberta). 

- I have a record of illness that had me on social assistance for 3 years in alberta, as well as a record of unemployment due to illness. I'm currently working towards getting official diagnosis to be able to have something to "prove" my struggle is real. 

- Have only filed my taxes once, when I was 18. I am 30 now. I don't owe any money, but I know any return I get would be taken for the loans. 

I'm really trying to get my life in order because it's hard enough to live with my health problems without the fear of debt, unemployment, wage garnishing, and my return being denied to me.... 

What i'm looking for is information/answers to:
- Am I legally passed the S.O.L for both provincial and federal?  (i'm pretty sure I am based on your info here)
- *how* do I get a professional to review my case and represent me? Can any lawyer write on my behalf to state the S.O.L has passed and therefor the debt is cancelled? 
- If you are not taking new clients, do you have recommendations for anyone else? 
- What is the process/where do you start to go the route of proving that repayment would pose a significant challenge and detriment to health? 

So much gratitude for your work here!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2018 at 5:28pm
If the Mb government is still recovering, and you want to find out if it is statute barred, then you have to do the research and call them out on it if you discover a limitation issue, or the high likelihood of one.  It is tricky, and you have to be VERY careful in your approach to them on this subject. Best thing to do is hire someone if you aren't sure. 

I am not talking any new cases at this time. 

solvestudentdebt.com
a.j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a.j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/April/2018 at 2:06pm
I am wondering the same thing:

I guess I am worried that if I file my taxes they will take my refund and apply it to the loan and I am not
sure if that will reactivate the loan/acknowledge it and start the whole process all over again. I want to find out if my loan can be written off due to the limitation issue. 

My loan is from Ontario and I haven't lived in Canada since 2010 which is the last year I did taxes.  Naturally it was seized, but does that constitute acknowledgement?  I just sent to MTCU in June although I have received no information.  I just saw it when I registered on creditkarma.ca
Justang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2018 at 8:32am
How did your loan get written off? How old was the loan? Did they try to contact you with threatening collection methods??
Littlebear0321111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Littlebear0321111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2018 at 4:30am
Manitoba
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2018 at 4:29am
What province is collecting from you? 

solvestudentdebt.com
Littlebear0321111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Littlebear0321111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/March/2018 at 6:56am
My Canada student loan of $40,000 was written off for failure to collect. My provincial student loans however are still being collected by Revenue Canada. They are taking all of my income tax refunds and G St. Why is it that my federal student loans got wiped out yet my provincial ones cannot
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/March/2018 at 10:59am
Do you require the tax refund as  part of an income that will prevent losses, eviction/disconnection of any service, or health=related issue? 

solvestudentdebt.com
Hangfly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2018 at 8:11pm
I guess I am worried that if I file my taxes they will take my refund and apply it to the loan and I am not
sure if that will reactivate the loan/acknowledge it and start the whole process all over again. I want to find out if my loan can be written off due to the limitation issue. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2018 at 8:01am
What exactly is t that you want to achieve here? 

If you want to find out if the federal loan is statute barred/written off, or can be written off due to a limitation issue that may be there, then yes, I can. If it is not barred or removable, then what do you want to achieve, if this is the case? 

solvestudentdebt.com
Hangfly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/February/2018 at 9:07pm
Johnny are you and your crew taking any new client's?

My last student loan was in 2001 in Newfoundland. I worked for a few years small jobs, paid back a bit but then joined the military as reservist got PTSD overseas when back to school but only used the interest relief program up to 2011 while in school, no new loans.

Health matters meant I had to leave school in the winter and my loan went into repayment early without my knowledge after the Canadian student loan centre lost my interest relief form in the Fall.I was in such a mess healthwise that winter and ended up living with my parents had no income except some RRSP I unlocked due to hardship restrictions

While I was out sick and should have had a grace period which would have been fine as I was slated to return to full time studies within the grace period and I would have applied again for interest relief one last time and complete my studies but I was not aware or contacted by Canada Student loans until my loan had gone into default without my knowledge and my loans by that time had been forwarded to the CRA for collections who were the first people I heard from.

I was dealing life threatening mental health issues and this did not help the situation. I wanted to declare bankrupty but was told I could not on student loans because by using interest relief program I had restarted the clock. CRA called collecting on behalf of federal loans. They were actually understanding about not working, being sick and have pretty much nil income. My parents let me stay at home and I lived on less than $5000 a year which I got from unlocking some RRSP from my military service and used that to pay for school because at this point did not qualify for student loans even if i wanted to due to above mess.

I had maybe only $500 coming back to me on tax return from cashing out one small RRSP and was told by CRA person over phone that they would be taking that.That was in 2011 and I haven't filed a tax return since because a. I had nil to low income and b. I didn't want to restart the clock. C. I needed that money to live on and if I couldn't have it the hell I was going to let some bureaucrat take it because of this mess with CSL.

Prior to my illness I was a good debtor and served my country but I feel as if I have gotten the shaft by my government!
I haven't filed a tax return since because I don't want to restart the clock. I have only really gotten better finally this year and getting my life on track but still dealing with my illness. I want to file my back taxes to move forward. I know do not owe taxes to the government as my income was to small for most the years only federal student loan debt. I am hoping that maybe my debt is one that the government has written off by now...

So my question is has mý debt been written off or should I wait one more year before filing taxes to avoid restarting the clock. Is there anyone that can advise or help me with this issue?

Thanks so much Johnny
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/February/2018 at 5:36am
Jurisprudence on what/ 

solvestudentdebt.com
Oriromi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oriromi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/February/2018 at 9:15pm
Could you please post the jurisprudence that you were talking about? Thank you!
Justang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2017 at 8:44am
That is my question exactly. I haven't been able to get a firm answer to this question but my feeling is that one would need proper representation in order to make these debts statute barred. The CRA doesn't seem to just make defaulted loans go away without a fight.
noneya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noneya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2017 at 12:43pm
I have found a lot of helpful information on this site. I am hoping you can give me some guidance. I am helping a friend who has a student loan from 1990. She tried to go back to school in 2013 and was told that she didn't qualify for OSAP due to defaulting on a Guaranteed Student Loan. She received the funds through RBC and it was guaranteed by the Federal Government. To the best of her knowledge she did not make an voluntary payments, and the only payments made towards it were income tax and tax credit seizures. It's not on her credit bureau and as the 1995 Canada Student Loans Act is applicable as it was removed from active recovery in 2000. So the response she received back from EDSC under the HRSDC is that she would need to rehabilitate the loan and make 2 monthly payments to bring into good standing. The original outstanding loan was $2300 and in 2013 it was at almost $9000 with the accrued interest. I'm going to assume the interest is still accumulating. My question is that if it's statute barred and non-collectable, how can this just follow her for the rest of her life? There has to be a way to appeal based on financial hardship. I would appreciate any assistance you can offer.

Thank you,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>