This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnother old OSAP loan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DGrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DGrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another old OSAP loan
    Posted: 12/June/2017 at 9:40am
Not sure what's going on here but this is what I know.

Went to school and got loans for the 2000-2001 and 2001-2002 school years.  Worked hard and paid everything off within a year.

I got a voicemail the other day from TotalCredit Recovery stating I have to call them with regards to a Ministry of Finance student loan.  I laughed thinking it's a wrong number.

Since I religiously check my credit, I have an account where I can check whenever I want.  It shows my 2 government student loans, paid in full as of late 2003 totaling $19,000.

Then I have 2 delinquent accounts both from TCR totaling about $21,000 that were reported in 2015.  This also ruined my good credit score because I had an 846 and now I'm at 740 because of it!!

I'm being really hesitant to call them back because I hear about what these guys are like.  The thing is, how can I possibly prove that I paid it 15 YEARS ago???  I've since changed banks, and moved at least half a dozen times and I'm now living out west.

What should I do here?  I really don't think I owe this because I was paying everything off while I was in school until I got a letter saying I'm all paid up.  I don't have this letter anymore of course.  I can't keep everything... 

If they force me to pay this off, I really can't afford it right now anyways.  I've been fighting cancer for 3 years and might be out of a job because of it soon, and have a wife and 2 kids to pay for!  I really don't want to start contacting people and accidentally set off something bad either by making a phone call.

Someone help please???
Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/June/2017 at 12:00pm
If you cannot prove payment has been made then the only other thing you can do is issue a document disputing the claim, and word it properly so it doesn't interfere with a limitation issue that may be in place. I say "IF" tightly. Your loan and contract with the Ontario government was entered into before April 1, 2004 so they may be a limitation issue there in you haven;t acknowledged it for the prescribed period of time in the old legislation (6 years). 

For the record, a 740 credit score is stellar. If you think that is bad, well ... it is not. It sucks that the student loan report is there, especially if you do not owe it. 

You can simply challenge them on your own - or seek legal challenge and have a lawyer represent you and dispute, which will force the Ontario government to come out.  If you paid it then you can give enough information as to how much was paid, when it was paid, and how it was paid.

I think the only way you are going to get anywhere with this is to take a legal approach and have a lawyer dispute and challenge their claim. 
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply