This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked!9 Year Old Student Loan Debt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SoldMySoul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoldMySoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: !9 Year Old Student Loan Debt
    Posted: 29/June/2017 at 10:29pm
hello I am new to the forum...I have been living with this debt since 1999 when I was basically forced to walk away from my course due to restructuring or amalgamation of my course with another...which would have had me have to complete an additional year beyond the final scheduled year of my program...straight of the gate student loans...I have struggled throughout most of my adult life...in 1998 pensions canada contacted me and informed me if I didnt seriously take a look at my pension payments when I retired I would get about $89/month...I didnt have any other options other than OSAP I was raised into poverty on social assistance...although my mother remarried we really didnt move up in income class in anyway really because my father worked in automotive and was an alcoholic...I cant remember if my final year was in '98 courses finally ending in winter '99 or if I actual finished in the '99 school year...either way I was finished with college by that point and wrapped in a considerable debt with no means to pay it down so it pretty much immediately went into default...I continually tried address my student loans but between social assistance and minimum waged jobs I could get here and there, it just was not possible to pay the $500/month they have always asked for...in 2005 I had been diagnosed with adhd, ocd as well as bi polar...which made sense as to why I was not able to concentrate in school...nor hold any employment for very long...Ive worked more throughout 30's and into my 40's... over the years I did tend to get better employment and left the minimum wage behind but I was still unable to pay the ransom of $500/month the still continued to insist upon me...last year I did 3 years of income taxes at once and between taxes, gst/hst, trillium I got back a little over $8500...my provincial student loans took it all immediately...I was freaking pissed to no end but then I thought that should almost do it for the provincial loan then...I contacted them only to find out I still owed just under $2500...I asked why they couldnt write off the loan after so much had been paid..they said if you had of paid us that we could have settled but you made us chase you...sounded to personal too me but heey...so that still sits as well as the $44000 in federal loan...Ive read that there is a rash of men my age around the world committing suicide and the only connection they can really find is DEBT...Im 47 and I can say I'll see 94...so am near my half life or am I well past my half life..either way I fear I will never get out from this debt unless I pay it forward and give the devil his dues...I sold my soul do I really have to pay in th blood of my death to get out of this arrangement!?
Sponsored Links

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/June/2017 at 4:19am
The federal loan may actually be statute barred. If you have not acknowledged the debt for over 7 years then it may be uncollectable.    There is a separate forum on this....

http://canadastudentdebt.ca/collection-of-old-stats-barred-loans_forum90.html

Bankruptcy might also be an option to get you out of this but hopefully others can provide some other suggestions and answers for you here too....

Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoldMySoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/June/2017 at 6:35am
my god they're all crazy...I know my loan is some 18 years old...so probably hard to find anything tangible in the way of paperwork but national student loans says I owe nothing...they cant see anything in my name...with scotia student loan one person said somebody paid it out at $20,904..so I asked who did that and she said she did not know...I suggested being smart...that someone walked in off the street and just paid and said yes...so I promptly replied with pardon lol she put me on hold like 4 times getting progressively longer and longer each time...she then said she was transferring me to the visa department...I asked there they cant help out with student loans and she said the were the only ones that could...I could barely understand here with her thick spanish accent...so I was transferred to an afrrican woman...like really from africa...I really could not understand her at all...she told that yes indeed the loans last payment went on the same date the othe woman said april 1 2013...april fools Im think this all just some sick joke for not pay for 19 years...nope paid out in full but the amount was different...$39,519.54...I said that is not the amount the other woman stated...she said well just give me a second please and she put me on hold for a bit as well...came back the same answer but added that some time after was paid...couple few days or so from her...another mount of $20.999 had been paid out...I asked if that was collections buying it out...she said NO...then she said she didnt know and that I should go to branch and talk to them...I told Im in london nor sarnia where the was drawn and asked if she could send me it...after some more dialogue I simply hung up still never quite understanding the woman and simply called the bank in sania...he woman I spoke to there said that yes it was paid and yes it was by a collections company ARO so I should call them...I told that had twice already this morning and both times I was told that the loan had been recalled from the bank on may of this year...she said she has no record of that anywhere...I told neither did anyone else at scotia student loans...I just did 3 year of income taxes and the government sent me a letter stating that all my returns were turned over to privcial student loans...all $8500+...income taxes as well asgst/hst and trilliums...all of it...I spoke to that collections and aske with that payment if they could close the account...after all they always said if I could come up with lump payment but they said they would after chasing me for almost 20 years...so I still owe about $2500+ as well as the federal loan that sits atabout $44,000 last taslks with collections this year when all my info had been released through taxes...again I started my schooling in '95 an finshed the school year of '98 but my final semester fell over into winter '99...finshed in april '99...i dont believe I qualify for the the pre 2002 or 2004 for changing of the limitations or not...or some of it...Im super confused...spcially with the 17 or so calls that really got me nowhere today from between 9 -11am...other than bankruptcy is there anythin else I can do...I know Im not the only one that doesnt want to wade through 7 years of that...I'll be 54-55by the time its finished...i there any relief from this nightmare at all!?  
Royal-NCO View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royal-NCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/June/2017 at 8:45am
Originally posted by administrator administrator wrote:

The federal loan may actually be statute barred. If you have not acknowledged the debt for over 7 years then it may be uncollectable.    There is a separate forum on this....

http://canadastudentdebt.ca/collection-of-old-stats-barred-loans_forum90.html

Bankruptcy might also be an option to get you out of this but hopefully others can provide some other suggestions and answers for you here too....

In which province did you secure the loan?

When did you last make a payment, put anything in writing, ask for relief of any kind in writing?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoldMySoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2017 at 1:57pm
I am from ontario..looks like back in the day the Harris government really stuck it to us ontarian loan receiving /tax paying citizens !!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoldMySoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/July/2017 at 4:20pm
I have never made a payment of my own volition...the only monies that have ever been take have been through income taxes but in more resent years they have been taking both my taxes as well as my gst/hst or harmony as well as my trillium...most recently I just did 3 year big taxation years and they took over $8500 and would still not consider closing th debt...I was told that after chasing me for so long they would go after me for the full amount owed...so an addition $2500 or $2800...cant remember off hand the final balanced owed...I talked about relief within the first few years after school but not sure if anything had actually been done on my behalf...I did not request or admit to the debt in writing of anykind either...I am not sure if the federal gov took me too court within the first 2 years of default...but I do know that the federal side has never wanted to close the account unless $500/monthly payments were agreed upon...I have had hardship...spent most of my adult life on social assistance...I am now on odsp for mental illness...I work when I can but stress and work details or enviroments can trigger my disorder so work as been here and there thoughout my entire adult life...now if I finished school in april '99...2 years after that puts me at '01(as I said not sure if the fed gov took me too court or not) but another 4 years after that puts me at '05 to bar the loans...I need to find when they actually started taking my taxes and eventually gst/hst and harmony and trilliumeause as I said I never heard from them   very ong timethen they strted taking my xes then eventually the rest as wells as cleara recall as I can muster without actual dates in front of me and the last an final barring would be this if not mistaken...The concept of an ultimate limitation period is introduced by section 15(2) which provides that no proceeding shall be commenced in respect of any claim more than 15 years after the day on which the act or omission on which the claim is based took place. Accordingly, even if a claim has not been discovered within 15 years of the occurrence which gave rise to the claim, an action commenced after the 15th anniversary of that occurrence will be statute barred...I feel there are a couple of few ways that these loans have been barred aer come april 2019 the loans will be 20 years old!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoldMySoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/July/2017 at 4:28pm
http://www.practicepro.ca/practice/limitation.asp

these were a couple few of my reads and show the discoveries Ive mentioned above!!
 Post Reply Post Reply