This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSmall Claims Court for student loan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jlw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small Claims Court for student loan
    Posted: 01/November/2017 at 10:01am
This answer seems wrong you can’t claim bankruptcy on crown debt .
Sponsored Links

Jlw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/November/2017 at 9:55am
So I got correct balance from Angela at the second number above at the ministry of finance she also stated to me that owing the crown provincially has no statue of limitation they’re recently allowed to put it on my credit through third party collection fd federal credit and the is what hit my credit ,drop my score by almost 85 points :( she also told me several things
1 if I pay all of it the third party with have it taken off my credit report
2 if I make payments to fd exquifax credit score won’t change because equifax doesn’t collect the info needed to update it
3 I can also write the cheque to ministry training colleges universities the fd collection will still be cashing them .
So I can’t fix my credit ? I can’t pay in fulll I’m discourage and don’t know what to do ? I want to fix my credit can they really come at me for under 5000 after 17yrs and all of a sudden go after my credit , I’ve fought so hard for good credit please help.
Jlw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/November/2017 at 6:00am
Hello
My student loan start ed in 1998-2001 I graduated , I recently had the financial debt recovery 9057716000 report to collects on this loan it is a mtcu loan . When I started fixing my credit in 2005 there was nothing on my credit that would hinder me I’ve have had car loans and credit lines over the yrs with no issues , all of a sudden in 2017 July when I went to get a new car loan I found out there was a huge drop in my credit because of the aforementioned debt recovery , I tried calling the number you mentioned 7055648941 which has been take over by 7055648942 to no avail , I want to know if this loan should be state barred I have not made any payment to anyone in 17 yrs , also the government was taking some monies from taxes but for the most part it’s was going to my student federal loan so I have no idea how much the true ontario loan is , I want to know if this is something I have to pay to get my credit back on track or can I push back .
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/November/2017 at 4:36am
I don't have anyone I can refer to you other than attorneys. That gets expensive. 
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/October/2017 at 12:12pm
Since you are out of school for 7 years, bankruptcy may be an option.  but make sure it is at least 7 years and a month from the date you finished school. There is a loan forgiveness for disability, but as far as I know, to qualify,  your loans cant be in default.

You've done your best....  far more than others would do.  Maybe it's time to get this monkey off your back.

Any reason why you didn't apply for Repayment Assistance?
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
blacey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/October/2017 at 7:30am
Johnny I have contacted several people and no one seems to know what to do can you provide info of someone locally as I prefer face to face.
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/October/2017 at 5:40am
You mean Minister of National Revenue. This is the federal loan. 

The government is relentless in their efforts to recover money owed to the Crown. What they do all depends on your financial and family situation really. There are arguments you can raise in your appeal to them to cease action and accept a payment plan, but they are very critical in their policy and thinking. They set payment plans that are excruciating at times, depending on a individual's situation.

I can assess this for you and give you some guidance if you want. It will take about 30 minutes and the cost is $50.00 for this sort of gig. 
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
LAFS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAFS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/October/2017 at 3:40am
Good day,
I am here looking for some advice. Yesterday I was served small claims court papers and given 20 calendar days to respond. It states the plaintiff is Her Magesty the Queen as represented by the Minister of natural revenue. The amount is 15,000 and change and the loan is from 2010.
Right after college I struggled greatly, they fast-tracked the program I was in because they said there was a huge demand for workers in the DSW field. After we all graduated the were no jobs like we were expecting. I worked at times 3 different part time jobs just to get by. There was no money left to make student loan payments. So I went a long time without paying anything. Until this past year, the CRA contacted my workplace telling them that I needed to contact them ASAP. So I did. I came to an agreement and started making payments every month. It was a low amount, lower than they were asking but they accepted it. During that conversation I told them of my health. From February-May I was on a waiting list for heart surgery and was actually given a year to live unless they did surgery. This meant ALOT of doctors appointments out of town, some as far away as Toronto (4 hours) I explained I could only pay that amount because of my medical bills, also medication is not free. I don't understand why I was served papers when I was making payments? I really don't know what I'm going to do. I did have the heart surgery but there continues to be complications and ongoing medical care that makes me miss work.
I have zero assets. I rent an apartment, all furniture and household items were purchased used or handed down from family. I don't drive or own a car. My goal is to come to a compromise, I don't mind paying I just don't think I can pay what they are asking ontop of all of my other bills. The only way I would be able to pay what they want is to give up my apartment, sell most of my belongings and live on a family member's couch for as long as they'll have me. I would really love to avoid that if possible.
What do I do? Who should I talk to?
 Post Reply Post Reply