This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHelp Student loans in collections

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Leela1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leela1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Student loans in collections
    Posted: 09/January/2018 at 8:20am
Hello everyone I am in dire need of some advise not sure where to go from here. I have 2 student loans one Alberta Student loan that is just over 10,000 and a Canada student loan that is around 20, 000. The Alberta Student loan is registered with CRA and has been sent into collections. The Canada student loan will be sent to CRA in 30 days.
My situation started when my ex partner got diagnosed with MS 5 years ago I just finished school and within 2 years of his diagnosis we had spent all of our savings and maxed out credit in medical bills. His MS is severe and not treatable with current methods. We spent over 100,000 trying natural treatments and treatments in the US. The financial strain caused the relationship to end and my former partner is now living in a nursing home. We have 4 children together I am sole provider as he cannot work. I decided to declare bankruptcy 3 years ago as I was a complete financial mess.  I have only been discharged since last March just under a year due to my finances it took me longer to pay off my trustee they worked with me and extended the time it took me to complete all my payments. My students loans were not included under the bankruptcy as at the time as they were 5 years old. My trustee did not send NSLC my discharge papers and never sent me the papers either after months of back and forth I finally got the papers a few months ago and sent them to NSLC.

I have been told by NSLC that I owe almost 4000 in interest on my Canada Student loan I have 30 days to pay it in full or it will go to the CRA.
I am being hounded daily from collections regarding my Alberta Student loan which is now with CRA.
I don't have the 4000 to pay NSLC and I am getting nowhere with my Alberta Student loans.
I am a single parent with 4 kids I am working and make a decent income but after all deductions and paying for crazy expensive daycare I have very little left. I have the opportunity to work an additional job and I figure if I stop driving and start taking the bus with my additional earnings I could start paying 400 a month. But even with this payment I don't think I will get caught up enough to get my loans out of collections.I don't get child support as my ex is not able to work due to his MS he is now in a nursing home and after rent and expenses I am usually in the red and I have no credit options.

I am going to speak with a credit counselor this Friday about my situation my student loans are now 8 years old so I want info on whether to see if I can add them under the hardship clause on my previous bankruptcy.
If this is not an option then can I do a consumer proposal so soon after a bankruptcy discharge. I could suck up working an extra job and giving up my car if I know I will be done paying these loans after 3 years.

I am so worried CRA will take me to court and sue me and garnish my wages I am barely keeping my head above water and I have very few options.
I don't know what to do any ideas ????
Sponsored Links

secondchance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote secondchance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2018 at 11:50am
I really don't know what to say. I'm really sorry to hear your story. It's heartbreaking. I pray that you find some help soon. 

It is truly bad luck that you didn't wait two years to bankrupt your student loans with your larger loan debt. Also of course bad luck what happened to your partner. 

I wish you the best and will send some positive thoughts your way. 
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2018 at 4:40am
Your best option is probably trying to include your loans in your previous bankruptcy...
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
 Post Reply Post Reply