This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTranscripts Withheld Due to tuition owed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BlueOrchid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueOrchid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transcripts Withheld Due to tuition owed
    Posted: 28/February/2018 at 8:40pm
Hi, Im new to this forum and found it while trying to search for an answer. I live In ontario and I recently applied through OCAS for college again in the 2018-2019 year. I have gone several times now but the last two times I paid for tuition myself. 

IN 2008 I applied for a program that started January 2008. I applied end of December 29-30th as i did not have the money for it and did not know if i would get osap which i was denied due to previous bank loans from other courses. My parents decided they would get a loan and send me the money for my tuition.

I applied and due to an altercation with my ex i ended up getting into a situation with the law (but was dropped as i was the one that had been assaulted) But the damage was done once my finger prints were taken. ( I was unaware of this at the time. I thought you had to be convicted and found guilty.) Charges were dropped. But I had no idea I needed to get rid of my file to not have something "show up" on my police check for placement which was required before placement started.

The cops at lied and said that did not matter i could still go to college. I believed them until after i spoke with the lady in charge of the course i was going to take. She said i needed a pardon. I did not need a pardon I had needed a file destruction as there was no crime commited. (this took a long time after wards to figure out and get completed.

Go forward this ended up being about January 1st  Class started like the 4th or 7th something like that. Because of what the police said I accepted my offer WAY AFTER THE WITHDRAW DATE AS I HAD APPLIED LATER AND GOT ACCEPTED MUCH LATER THEN applicants because i did not apply when you normally do in January/February. The day to WITHDRAW from courses was about November or Middle of December 14th i believe it had been. Before  I had even applied. Once i was told about not being eligible to do placement I withdrew from the course about january 2nd or 3rd. I had not paid for my tuition yet as the money hadnt cleared my bank account by then either due to the holiday. 

I received an email from the financial's office stating i still owed tuition it was about 1500 to 3000 but i cant recall if i had choosen the pay in full option or pay per semester that is why the price difference. I believe it was around 2500 though in 2008. I told the guy whom emailed me i did not owe anything as i had just withdrawn from the program as I did not meet placement requirements. He told me the date to withdraw from the colleges programs was approx dec 14th. I emailed back and forth a while. ANd I said I did not even apply until AFTER The withdraw date had already passed, so how is someone suppose too withdraw before they have even applied. He basically said thats their policy too bad you owe us this $ money still.

Needless to say I did not pay it. I never heard from them again either. I file my taxes every year, nothing has been taken off my taxes EVER. There has never been any phone calls or collectors from them, no letters nothing.

Then in 2011 i applied for a programs but did not qualify for OSap due to my previous bank loans i was still paying off (still am ugh). 

And Fleming would NOT send me my transcripts nothing. I emailed them and asked them why they had not sent them and i had not received them. After a while they finally found my information and said thats because you never paid  $ tuition fee from 2008. 

i told him i did not owe them anything from a program i NEVER TOOK!  Basically that was that.

Now i am applying to a course and i need chemistry credit. I already did this in 2007 there, so its equilavent to grade 12 chemistry or grade 11 chem and I dont want to hvae to re do this credit now just to get accepted to a program. but that is looking to be my only option. I emailed OCAS asking them if they can get my transcript from them or not but im sure they will say to contact Fleming college for it.

Can they do this? Do they fall under the same ACT as OSAP? Even though they are not Osap? If so why have i never recieved a letter in the mail, Or collections, Nothing is on my transuion file or equifax and that is as of last week. I check it monthly and there has never been anything form them in collections nothing. Is there any way to get it? Would it be considered statue of limitations since it has been more then 2 years? Or is it limitless since the new changes in 2004? Is this ontario College Sir Sandford Fleming College (Fleming) for short, able to do this??  I do not have money to pay it. I did not even take the damn course and was already out at the time, money for applying, and for a fee to hold off payment owing. 

Im trying to go back to college to something i love. I got rid of that file and never have had an issue since or before that.  I also dont want to acknowledge this debt by even emailing Fleming as my college prep advisor said to do instead of doing the course all over again and having to scramble to get it done on time. which is hard with one credit i am already doing now and is not my best subject math and chem are my worst! 

(sorry for all the spelling and grammar mistakes my cheap mac book keys and mouse pad are broken and i cant click or scroll)

Anyone know if this is the same law as OSAP? Or is it different. If it is why is there no lein or money off my income taxes or collectors calling? Hell i still ahve collectors calling from 2006 from bad debt i had from back then. I have kept my credit up to date and other then my student loan that is always been paid on time and every month, i have nothing in arrears and never had anything else go to collections since. 

Thank you! I tried to look online and there is nothing that comes up other then peoples debts with OSAP.....

Sponsored Links

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/March/2018 at 6:31pm
You probably need to file some kind of appeal at the college or university Senate. See if there is an Ombudsperson at their.

Or see if the student association can help. Since this wasnt' through student loans then OSAP wouldn't be involved.
Basically they are claiming you have a debt, and yes it is policy at many universities and colleges to withhold transcripts if there is an outstanding fee/debt. UBC was withholding degrees and transcripts for on-campus parking tickets!

You are claiming that no tuition was owed, but did you in fact register and then fail to withdraw? That would impact your case.  I suggest an ombudsman or if their is none then see if your provincial or federal member of parliament can help.

Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
 Post Reply Post Reply