This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFDR withholding information

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
atgnak75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atgnak75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FDR withholding information
    Posted: 15/March/2018 at 8:40am
Hi there, for personal reasons it was very difficult for me to repay my student loan and it defaulted.  I am in a better position now and is actively looking into paying off my debt.  My federal portion is taken care of and entered rehabilitation.  My problem is now with my provincial portion and the collection agency FDR.

When I got in touch I was given a lump sump figure as well as 10 separate accounts of differing amounts.  They informed me that only one account was my principle student loan, which is around $4800.  The rest were NSF, a few at $40 and the others at varying amounts mostly $500.  When I asked what NSF meant, the collection agency were not able to give me further details of what these charges were, so I'm very confused as to why I am charged these fees.  Next they told me they were "purchases", and I do not recall my student loan breaking down into these small figures, and on the official letters they had sent me it only stated that these are "principles". 

I am willing to pay off my debt if they are legit, however over the years I have never received any letters about my provincial loan let alone details in break down.  The supervisor I spoke to, demanded for me to pay $4800 (principle loan) and that after everything is paid off, it will take 30 days for my credit report to be "clean" again.  When I expressed my wish to rehabilitate, she informed me my application had been rejected, and I have to pay all the NSF fees AND in addition a interest of $800 before my student loan portion can go into rehabilitation. 

Now the interest of $800 have never been made known to me when I spoke with the collection agency and it seems to just pop out of nowhere, however she had stated this is coming from the National Student Loan center.  These amounts that I will have to settle first in order for my loan to go into rehab, adds up to the original amount that she demanded me to settle initially, therefore I am a bit suspicious given their horrible reputation and some very misleading information she had given me.

I also asked the supervisor what if I had paid my loan in full without questioning them, and since they had promised that my credit report would be restored after 30 days would this extra interest charge pop up.  She was not able to answer my question and so I have many doubts.  I asked to speak to the agent who was dealing with my rehab application directly, and she gave me a number to the provincial loan finance and collection department.  I did and was given a ticket number, however I was informed the agent she was dealing with does not exist / or does not work there and was then directed to call NSLC.

I called NSLC and was informed that they only deal with the federal portion, directing me to call the finance  and collection department again.

I feel like I am going in circle, and who knew wanting to pay my debt could be so challenging.  I have many doubts about dealing with FDR, and wish to clarify on details before settling my debt.  If anyone has gone through this - please give me some advice and people I can get in touch with for further help.

Thank you so much, and sorry this is a very long post!
Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2018 at 1:52pm
Are you dealing with Jenny? 
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2018 at 1:53pm
NSF means "non-sufficient funds" as a global def. 
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
atgnak75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atgnak75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2018 at 2:03pm
Yes I was dealing with Jenny, and she was arranging for my rehab application with a lady named Angela. I understand what insufficient fund is but I'm very puzzled about the figures. She said I've made cheques that did not went through but none of my monthly payments were in those amount. So some things didn't add up and no further details could be provided.
atgnak75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atgnak75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2018 at 2:15pm
When I pressed further she told me they were "purchases", instead of Nsf fees, and on the official letters she sent me it only said those were principle so it left me very confused.

Also the $800 interest that came out of nowhere, which she did not even have an account number for. She said it had just been calculated by Angela and was not on any of the initial accounts. This left me baffled because the initial amount Jenny had communicated to me was supposed to include interest. When I called the finance and collection department the agent pulled up my file and did not see that amount on file at all.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/March/2018 at 8:50am
What you should do is request a detailed statement of account showing all of the activity form the time the loan was returned to government, or defaulted. I don't understand how the term "purchases" fits into this, but the way to find out is through a detailed statement of account. You can request that in writing and copy the Ontario Collection Management Unit in Sudbury. Fax your request. Ontario CMU is 705-564-8899. Make sure you send it to the agency as well because they will be the ones to provide it to you when it comes from the Ontario gov. 

Hope this helps! 

solvestudentdebt.com
atgnak75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atgnak75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/March/2018 at 9:25am
Thanks so much for the tip Johnny. I'm wondering if it's common for them to slab in an undisclosed interest? It sounds like you have dealt with Jenny before, I could not locate the lady Angela whom she was dealing with in regards to my rehab application, and I'm wondering if I was contacting the correct department?

Jenny said it will take 8 weeks to pull up the records us that true?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/March/2018 at 4:13am
Jenny has a job to do, that's all. I have no issues with her and when I have to work with her for, or on behalf of a client, she is good to work with. Anything you have concerns about from an accounting perspective can always be sorted out by simply reviewing a detailed statement of account. 

It could take 8 weeks to pull a record, sure. I have seen it take much longer in a really complex situations. In your case, it is not really complex. You just want an accurate accounting of what took place from start to current time. 

solvestudentdebt.com
atgnak75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atgnak75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/March/2018 at 4:34am
I have no issues with Jenny at all she had been professional throughout and tried to answer my questions.

My issue is with the interest that seemed to come out of nowhere, and even for Jenny there were things she was not certain about in regards to accounting and records issues. Since I was told conflicting information. Hence I wanted to speak to this lady Angela whom she had been working with on my application, directly to clarify. However I cannot seem to locate this person from the number she gave me, was told no such person work there and was then directed to another number. (also to a dead end)

Which was what brought me to this forum because no one seem to be able to answer my question or find someone who can. I know anything involveing government takes a long time, and just wanted to varify that because they sure seem to be speedy on certain things.

Anyway thank you so much Johnny for the fax number, I will try them too and ask send FDR a letter like you have suggested.
 Post Reply Post Reply