This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked10 year period reduced to 5- rumor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
gov blows View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gov blows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/June/2004 at 8:59am

I agree with the above here, however the important thing to understand is... Paul Martin doesn't give a rat's ass!!  When he went to school, tuition fees were about $5 and housing about 50cents- hell , he paid his off, why the hell can't you students now? Lazy students! We gotta wake up and smell the coffee. Government, big banks, Universities are so intermingled and scratching each other's backs, that each can blame problems on each other, deflecting criticism into a sea of red tape- leaving students with a raft with no oars. So trying to figure out what they should do is of no relevance.

1.The universities are so focused on getting grants and tuition fees and corporate donations and deals, they will do almost anything to do it- this means not informing students about the possibilities of lifetime poverty if they enrol.  They want their uni in the top 5.

2.Banks are willing to give loans- and paint a real rosy picture of students with a lifetime of prosperity- only if it means a high interest rate on the student, guaranteed from the government, or a new law stating no bankruptcy from student loans- gee now nice of them.

3.Government wants to get voted in- for easy pensions, and the ability to serve their own agenda, and take care of their friends financially. They are not students.  If they don't have to cater to the students (ah, they don't vote anyway), they don't mind bringing in ridiculous laws. Hell, wouldn't you rather have the Mighty Royal Bank in your corner rather than a few hippie students?

Screw or get screwed. That's the Canadian way.

Sponsored Links

danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2004 at 8:09pm

as long as i get a job for 18 bucks an hour i would love to pay off my loans but what can i do with a BA psych and two year crim diplom and a past criminal record that has now been pardoned ?

most of the jobs i see are few: camp counsellor 8 bucks an hour 1 year experience with kids, youth counsellor 12-18 bucks hour and most have to work 6 months on call just to get part time work?, rec center worker 10 bucks 1 year experience, program coord 2-3 years experience

five years from now i will be only making 14-18 bucks an hour ?

how do people pay their loans when it takes 10 years just to make 18 bucks

Johnny save me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2004 at 5:12am
That is such a great point danny
It is funny though!
I went to University pursuing a degree in social work, and finally quit after 3 years, because I was too burned out from having to work two jobs and the workload of courses was just to much for me to handle.(plus living with an alcoholic and drug addict at the time did not help matters).

But anyways I have a friend who actually finished her degree in social work and she is an intake worker at the social services department and has been for the past 3 years and her earnings are much lower than mine, and I never even finished my degree and I am not even working in a field where any of my university education would even benefit me.

And all the paperwork and reports and crap that she has to do for every client is such a workload, and my job is ten times less stressful than hers.

To think that sometimes it really really bothers me that I did not finish my degree, my student loans would be $ 75,000 instead of the $ 60,000 that they are at now.

So that is comforting I guess.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12