This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA QUESTION FOR JOHNNY??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CARGO1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CARGO1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A QUESTION FOR JOHNNY??
    Posted: 16/March/2004 at 6:14pm

Hi johnny hope things are going well for you,

I read somewhere back were someone said something about s/l being passed the sol and that they were at this point able to be closed.

questions,

1. is this true

2. is this something a person can do for themself

3. if not, do you offer this service?

4.if someone were to attempt this on their own would it not re start the clock.

any info would be appreciated

cargo1        

Sponsored Links

CARGO1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CARGO1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/March/2004 at 6:21pm

just to add to my above questions if you mind,

if it is possible to close a stat barred loan would at this time the collectors stop calling or would they just keep on calling??

my ca smells blood i think, he is calling every day 3-5 times a day(work,home,cell,email)

come to think of it I wish i culd get my guys at work work to do follow calls half as well as this guy...lol

cargo

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/March/2004 at 10:11pm

Hi Cargo,

1. Yes, this is true. If a CSL, or any student debt is statute barred, then it can be closed based ont he fact that debt becomes no longer legally collectible under the criteria within the act.

2. Unfortunately, it is not really someone can do for themself without some form of intervention. I find that when individuals begin to investigate and determine that their loan is stats barred, they will get the run around by whichever student loan body it pertains to. Is it impossible for people to do it on their own? No, not at all, but it would require an education in law I would think. The general population of individuals would find it rather impossible due to the sensitivities of the "acknowledgment" issues. This means that sending in written statements to the effect may cause problems if it not approached properly. Remember, EACH case is different from the next.

3. Yes, I offer this as a service to the student loan indebted. Most certainly. It doesn't take a lawyer to do this, rather someone who is intimately familiar with the entire program and how it works. This is part of my advocacy service.

4. Again, due to the sensitivity of the barred issue - and acknowlegment, if people do the slightest thing wrong, it can cause major problems, yes. You see, to make a case to have the loan dismissed as statute barred, the government will want something in writing outlining the claim from the borrower. They will require the borrower to substantiate their claim and it is usually in writing. It is really a sensitive matter , especially to the HRDC or Provincial governments. It is imperative to have all the facts first, then build the case.

It must be done in a certain way and each situation is different from person to person. 

5. If the loan is classified stats barred, and the HRDC acknowledges it, then the account would be closed from the colelctiona gency and remanded to the HRDC. The account will remain there but not on active collection status.

6. The collector is not allowed by directive and law to call that frequently. He would have to smell blood to be doing this.

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
CARGO1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CARGO1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/March/2004 at 12:52pm

johnny,

in the event that a sats barred loan is remanded back to hrdc would hrdc not then begin the collection process or initate set off on i-tax and gst, Or would this not be allowed because of stats barred????  

cargo 

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/March/2004 at 3:11am

Hi Cargo,

Once a CSL has been classed as ststute barred, the government must recall the loan if it is assigned to a 3rd party PCA. Then, it will be deactivated from that point. The loan will still be on record within the HRDC's database but no collection activity can take place under the statutes of limitations.

Traditionally, once a CSL is technically closed statute barred, the liens on I tax and GST are to be removed. There are cases whereas some individuals claim that their CSL is statute barred and are still having Income tax rebates liened off. This would indicate to me that the loan is actually not statute barred.

The regulations in place for HRDC's movements in this regard are pretty clear. Based on the fact that when a student loan becomes statute barred, the loan is no longer "legally" collectable therefore it is to be removed from the 3rd party PCA and closed. The HRDC will still have record of the loan in their database, however. The income tax and GST liens ARE to be removed in these cases because of the statute barred description outlined in Bill C-28 and the standard regulations that govern the HRDC's collection services.

Now, if a CSL borrower is stats barred, and acknowledges the debt "after the fact".. then problems like this may arise, you see.

It all boils down to an individual's "awareness". The 4 questions and answers that support this element of awareness are:

1. When did the HRDC reimburse the bank for the guaranteed CSL?

2. When was the last payment received BY the CSLP/HRDC?

3. When was the last written acknowledgment receved by the CSLP/HRDC/?

4. Has a judgement been awarded in favor of the CSLP/HRDC?

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply