This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTestimonial in support of John LeBlanc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Matt O'Leary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt O'Leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Testimonial in support of John LeBlanc
    Posted: 10/March/2004 at 7:56am

Hey Gang,

I just HAD to post this recommendation.

Here's my story:

A couple of months ago, I was 'contacted' by two collection agencies regarding the status of my federal student loans. As is the norm, they threatened all sorts of things, from garnishee orders to legal action. They indicated that unless I sought financing to pay off the entire balance of my 37K federal student loan debt, they would take me to court and seize 20% of my gross pay, which would have resulted in extreme financial hardship for this single father of two young kids.

Needless to say, I was petrified. While I did my best to negotiate with the collectors, every commitment and promise to pay on my part only led to subsequent threats and a mistaken impression that I was able to take out a loan (more like a mortgage!) to pay them off. Eventually, one collector ran out of patience and gave me 24 hours to 'pay up' before they initiated court proceedings.

With nowhere else to turn, I decided to call a 'counsellor', who goes by the handle of Johnny on here, I think. I had read some of his posts and had always been impressed by the quality of his advice to those like myself who were suffering under the lash of collection agencies and banks.

We discussed my case briefly on the Friday, maintaining contact throughout the weekend to discuss next steps and possible solutions. This did a lot to ease my fear. I was empowered by information and facts, you could say, which was a welcome relief from the outright lies and fear I had coming at me from the collection agencies.

By the next Monday, this gentleman had not only convinced the collection agency AND the bank to accept my payment offer, but also established that there had been wrongdoing on the part of the agency. This resulted in a WRITTEN APOLOGY from the bank and the agency in question for the inappropriate way in which I was treated. Not too shabby for 4 days work, I would say! I certainly could not have achieved results like this on my own in anything like the timeframe he managed.

Add to that the fact that his rates were extremely fair and reasonable and that his demeanor was that of a consummate professional, and I can think of noone who I would rather represent me and my interests than John Leblanc.

John, I thank you... and so do my kids. You single-handedly turned financial ruin into hope... I can think of no better way to phrase it!

Summary: For those of you looking to hire a counsellor... I cannot say enough about John Leblanc. I recommend him without reservation.

Sponsored Links

PixelFloozie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PixelFloozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/March/2004 at 5:08am
Hi all,

If you would like the blow by blow details of my student loan nightmares
my story is posted under the Student Loan Nightmares forum, and my
piece is specifically titled "Ever wrested a 400 pound gorilla?"

I met John in late 2003 on the recommendation of a friend at work. I was
very skeptical that he would be able to help me, as I had watched my
situation deteriorate steadily over the course of 2003. My problems
stemmed from the bunglings of the National Student Loan Service Centre
(hereafter NSLSC), the federal bureaucracy that determines the course of
all student loans.

I had submitted all of my information to the NSLSC eight times (I retained
all the confirmations), as well as three formal letters, and telephone
conversations that ran into the many dozen. Because of their inability to
handle my paperwork properly, and in a reasonable amount of time, all of
my loans went into play. This gave all lending institutions the right to
withdraw money from my bank account and flag my account for future
deposits. The repurcussions of this was that the lending agencies were
getting money before I could pay my rent, or bills, and at certain points
before I could even by groceries.

When John and I first met this had been going on for approximately ten
months and I was getting to the end of my proverbial rope. I was
physically and mentally ill from the stress, and I was emotionally drained.
All of my efforts to resolve the situation with the lending agencies were
dead ends. The banks could only act on the information that they
received from the NSLSC, which was a big zero, so they were not going to
stop the withdrawals. My bills were months behind, my telephone nearly
shut off on a half dozen occassions, and my landlord ready to evict
me...and everyone kept telling me "the rules are the rules". Nevermind
that I had applied for Interest Relief in the first place because I was not
making enough money to sustain myself.

As an aside, never waste your time and energy trying to make a formal
complaint to the NSLSC. Firstly, they do not have an ombudsperson;
secondly, when you try to file a complaint you are continually told that
"this is not the right number to file a complaint, try this one". I went
through twelve (12) diffrent numbers and offices to land right back where
I had first started. No wonder the NSLSC does not have many complaints
lodged...there is no method nor person available for student recourse!

So, back to John. The first thing he did was review my file and assess
whether I had a case, and how strong a case was to be be made. Next he
had me sign a pile of third party authorisations - these allow John to
legally intercede on my/your behalf. The added bonus: the harassment
calls stop!!! No more ten, twenty, even thirty calls to your home number
per day (and every day except Sunday, at all hours, day and night).

Next, John spent dozens of hours on the phone to find his way to a senior
official to review my case. John then faxed my file to this person, and the
NSLSC, as well as his assessment of the case and the errors that were
made by the NSLSC. He actually had to fax this multiple times as they
have a convenient "habit" of losing paperwork. There is probably an entire
forest of "lost" trees in a building somewhere in Mississauga.

While John was busy doing all of this, NSLSC went ahead and let the HRDC
put a lien against any GST and income tax rebates that I was to receive.
So any additonal funds that I could have used to pay down some bills was
cut off at the source. That being said, however, the NSLSC has finally
(after four or five months of John's work), admitted their mistakes in the
handling of my case. The HRDC liens have been retracted and my loan
has been place back in good standing.

Currently John is working with the province and the banks to have my
loans recalled, as the premise for the loans going into play was the
NSLSC's errors, and as such, this should be the reason for them to be
recalled. The final step in this process will be the re-establishing of my
personal credit. This is largely in my hands in terms of making steady
payments, but John is able to intercede here as well to help improve my
credit rating.

I am advocating the use of John's services. John's fees are very reasonable
and he is accomodating in creating a payment structure (he does
understand that little or no money is little or no money). I have likely
forgot many things. But if anyone out there has questions, please create a
post and I will do my best to respond in a timely manner. At this point all
I can say is make sure that you save every piece of paper (fax and mail
confirmations, etc.) and record all of your telephone conversations (time,
date, person you spoke with), as it all makes a difference when you are
building a case.

Best of luck to all of you.
mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2004 at 5:12am

While ultimately it is up to us as individuals to look out for ourselves, if you have found your way to this site it's probably because you need help- John Lebblanc is that help.

Since finding the Canadian Financial Wellness Group (and in particular John), in January, my financial situation has improved dramatically.

While I still have a long road ahead of me, Johns guidance has helped to point me in the right direction. Not only has he helped get the Collection Agency "Monkey" off my back, he has offered some very sound advice towards my future financial wellness.

Thank you John.

Sincerely,

Mike

churchmouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote churchmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/April/2004 at 9:37am
Well, here's my story:

In January I received a call from a collection agent demanding immediate repayment of almost $15,000 of the bank-held portion of my loan.  I guess he knew he was dealing with a novice in this department, since he called out all the stops - legal action, garnishing, cleaning out account, ruined credit rating, blah blah blah ... even though all other loans I've been repaying, but this was the only one that wasn't okay. 

For 2 or 3 days I was unable to sleep, eat, concentrate, feeling all the time like I was going to throw up.  I was really scared, until I found this website and told you all my story.  Johnny replied (as did several others, thanks to Polyhymnia too) and told me some of the truth of the matter as it stands, and what the agents could and couldn't do.  I called him up and, since he works in my home area, met with him a few days later. 

For a reasonable fee he stepped in, got the collection agents off my back, and negotiated a reasonable monthly repayment I can handle.  

Since then, John has been walking me through some other alarms (amalgamated loans, further form panic letters) and is helping me look at the longer term, to make sure I don't have to go through this again. 

Through it all, he has been really supportive, and has more than once had to calm me down, which he does with a great sense of humour that doesn't always come through in the postings. 

My advice to anyone out there who find themselves in a similar situation: CALL JOHN at the Candian Financial Wellness Group.  He does a really valuable service, and the price is right.  I can't tell you all how much of a load he has taken off my mind.  He is a godsend to anyone of our situation, who is so buried in debt that they can't see which way is up. 

churchmouse

Edited by churchmouse
Cammie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2004 at 5:27am
You said he had your loans put back in good standing? Is this really possible?
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2004 at 12:27pm
With Johnny's help anything is possible.
He is the best.
What more can I say!!!
CARGO1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CARGO1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2004 at 1:44pm

I agree,

If Johhny said it can be done it will be done. no questions asked.

thanks again john

cargo

ioweiowe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ioweiowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/May/2004 at 5:30am

Another testimony for John Leblanc.  My  husband and I were in a position to settle out our student loans and John saved us over $10,000 between the two of us.  I am so glad I found this site and so glad I found John.  He is amazing, he knows the ins and outs of dealing with creditors and he is filling a desperately needed void in the world of student loans.  I absolutely recommend him he is totally worth it, his fee is minor and he is more than fair.  If you are having student loan problems and especially if you are in a position to settle them out, John WILL get the best deal for you. 

http://cfwgroup.tekcity.net/4.htm

Cheers

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change
inseriousdebt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inseriousdebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/May/2004 at 10:15am

Just want to be another voice to sing the praises of John Leblanc at the Canadian Financial Wellness Group.

Before I called John, I was deep in student loan debt, to the tune of about 22K, could not work because I was suffering serious health problems due to the associated stress, and was basically resigning myself to a life of collection agencies harassing me and my credit ruined.  My financial future looked bleak, and reading the posts of all of you who were suffering along with me on this board was giving me even more reason to be completely pessimistic and depressed.

Then along came John Leblanc - I contacted him on the advice of one of the posters on this board.  "If John says it can be done, it can be done" said the poster.  He was right!!  Firstly, John was interested in how he could help me with the stress and accompanying physiological effects it was having on me.  He was kind, gave me good advice, and told me how he could help me.  At first it seemed too good to be true, but then I remembered what the poster had said about John.  When he offered to take my case, I didn't hesitate to say "yes" and "thanks"!

John worked tirelessly on my behalf, using what should have been his free time to get the job done.  He is fantastic - he knows the ins & outs of the student loan system maze, he remained calm throughout the process, and never left me feeling "out of the loop".  He was in constant contact with me to give me updates, but more importantly to make sure that I was OKAY, physically, emotionally and mentally.  This is not just a job for him - he cares very much about his clients and that has been evident throughout my dealings with him.  John was successful in getting a settlement that was favourable to me, one that I could live with.   I could never have done what he did for me - the process would darn near have killed me! 

When you are sick, you go to a doctor.  When you need help with a legal matter, you go to a lawyer.  When you have student loan problems, you go to John Leblanc!!  You can take what he says to the bank - he is honest and forthright.  His resolve is unwavering.  He will never promise you anything he can't deliver.  Help is out there, folks - just reach out and grab it.  You will never regret it!! 

Daisy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/June/2004 at 9:07am
John has been working with myself and my husband since February.  Even though we'll be paying off our loans for a long time, we now have peace of mind, and we receive no unwanted phone calls.  We also have an affordable payment schedule that fits within our budget.  I would definitely recommend John of the CFW Group!
richkathy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richkathy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/July/2004 at 7:05am
It has been almost 10 years since I finished school and have been
struggling ever since. After I finished school I expected to have a good
position that would take care of my family for the rest of my life, but
instead it has been nothing but stress and the tole it has taken on myself
and most important my family is unreal. Even though I barely made
enough to make ends meet I tried and numerous occations to make
payments and filled out financial statements. I would be bombarded by
phone calls both at home and at work regarding my loan. Quite often
CBCL was very unnerving and even tried to get very personal with me. It
has been a nightmare. At one point when I made an offer of what I could
afford they refused me. I am in the same business and know that they can
not refuse payments. I sure made sure that the gentleman (I use that
word very lightly) made note on my file that he was the on refusing to
accept money from me. This has gone on for many years. Until about
seven weeks ago.

The worst thing could happen to me. With out notice a garnishment was
put in place. I did not receive any notice nor did I receive a notice to
appear. I cound'nt function at work and was pretty much a basket case at
home. The thought of just quitting my job did cross my mind. I thought
why work when all I get from my pay is enough to pay rent. My family
was very concerned and it was my brother who found out about John. My
boyfriend called him and explained my situation to him and John asked
me to call. It was the best thing I ever could have done.

I will admit I was skeptical that anyone could help me at this point, but
lets give him a chance. I sent John all the info he wanted. Speaking to him
was such a releif. I can't say that I didn't have my bad days but in the end
when John called me and said, "are you sitting down", of course all I could
think was that he couldn't do anything for me. When he told me I have
your garnishment removed and payments reduced to what I could afford,
it is hard to explain the overwhelming feeling that came over me. I was so
extatic. It was the best news that I had ever heard in a long long time.

If it wasn't for John LeBlanc I could not imagin what would have happend
to me, none the less the affect that I would have had on my family. I am
so glad there is someone like John that is wanting to help people so
unselfishly.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart John   

Edited by richkathy
faithandhope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faithandhope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/July/2004 at 11:01am

Please forgive my cynicism but is this site connected to CFW? Why are there no other Recommended Advocates and Counsellors than Mr. LeBlanc?

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2004 at 2:29pm
no, this site is not connected to CFW ... there is one other recommended counsellor... no one else has posted any other recommendations!

Mark O'Meara
founder canadastudentdebt.ca
cajoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/July/2004 at 7:02pm

I have had the pleasure of speaking with John and I can say that he honestly seems like a person who wants to help.

He answered most of my questions (free of charge!!!) and eventhough I asked him a lot of tough questions about him and the work he does ( I have become distrustful thanks to collectors) he answered all of the them clearly, calmly and politely.

I asked him to let me try some of the things I have learned here on this site and if I failed I would then contact him (since I really really don't have much $$$).

He was very understanding and sounding sincere wished me good luck and to feel free to contact him if I needed more advise on how to deal with the blood suckers.

Thanks soo much Johnny!!!

Cajoes
%~~~~%~~~~%~~~~%~~~~%~~~~%
Everything happens for a reason.
moonlight View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonlight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/November/2004 at 1:30pm
Administrator
Mark O'Meara-

Bravo to you for this site! Thank you from myself, and I am sure everyone else on this site, for your gift to us. I don't know how you afforded this site unless you are a computer programmer and created it then even more kudos to you!
Moonlight
 Post Reply Post Reply