This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedtake from the poor and give to the rich

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
torontoboy26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torontoboy26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: take from the poor and give to the rich
    Posted: 19/April/2004 at 2:44pm

Hello fellow suckers of the system;

Well, you didnt know it was gonna be like this back in highschool now did ya?  Maybe you thought you could go to work for 40 hours a week and have fun and learn and make money.  Maybe you thought some great company was gonna recruit you and give you a free lap top to work on from home.  Maybe you thought you would never get here.

I wanna know why the Canadian family mechanism of the year 2000 has gone to the toilet?  I say blame it on the parents.  How many other young Canadians were promised by their parents, that if they did well in highschool, that University would be paid for by them.  My parents told me 10 000 times, that if I got good marks, my University would be paid for and I could take care of them when they got old.

So I did that, I busted my chops.  I worked for one year after school, and saved.  I travelled for 2 years through programs called Canada World Youth and Katimavik.  I figured out my mind and how important it is to have a degree to get a decent paying job.  Cause you all know that within 20 years you will have to have a masters degree in at least business to even work as a cashier at Walmart.  Well, dont worry, Im with you.  Listen still..

I figured out my way, or so I thought.  I left my small city and went to the big city.  My parents didnt think I was serious even thought I had an A+ average at the end of highschool.  I think they didnt ever expect me to go.  So when I was ready to go, after going through a well thought over decision, I decided that I was ready.  My parents then tell me that they cant afford it.  I am realizing that this is common among Canadian parents of today.  All talk, no action.

I would take the blame too, but I always hear the words echoing in my mind, that dear old pop said "take out Osap", for various reasons.

So I worked 35 hours a week for my first two years in University.  I was a slave,  I didnt have time to sleep properly and I was always coming up short on my food and bills.  Osap gave me 8000 the first year, which is liveable.  The next year it dropped to 5000, which I could almost manage.  I was working the same amount of hours for the same pay  but last Decemeber I got a letter saying I was re-assessed for 1000 and then I couldnt even pay off my tuition.  I was near a nervous breakdown.  I am not a drop-out but I was forced to drop out because of OSAP.

I also find it interesting that they dont ask you on OSAP applications how much it will be for your rent.  But I find it greatly interesting that on  a Bankruptcy statement, you even have to tell them how much you spend on shampoo.  You gotta love Canada.

The Canadian government expects all students to come from wealthy families.  The Canadian government loves interest and is no better than the shark visa companies that hang around shopping malls.  It is no coincidence that they gave me 20 000 dollars worth of credit on these credit cards when I was making less than that.  THey expected me to go into debts.

I also recall listening to my egotisictal profs and ta s constantly talking about their vacations, while I was often sick and still going to work..  You gotta love how part time workers have no securtiy and sick days. 

I felt like a robot last year.  Losing sleep to study daily.  Never eating properly.  Being in a coma state in class.  All because I did not live rent free, I had to work and I had to get that 'paper.'  I missed out on all the fun times that university is supposed to bring.  I missed out on extra lectures, concerts, drives, meeting friends, studing late at the library... all the stuff which makes studying like a slave kinda bearable. 

Those were hard times.  Hard times are still at my door.  Everyday I have to think how the Canadian loan system works.  Every day I am reminded that my parents lived a modest living.  Every day I feel sick when I think of the countless numbers of students going through the same thing, either at the beginning, middle, same or way past the process.

It says in another venting letter here in the forum that if the collection agency cant get your money back, then they will try to take your brain back.  Well, as long as we keep aware of the swine from the pearls, what else can a guy do?

Well, im just going to keep remembering that its not just business, when it becomes harassment.

Feel free to enlighten me, similar stories tend to hit a sweet spot....

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply