This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCertificate of Full Performance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stepforward2bk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stepforward2bk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Certificate of Full Performance
    Posted: 28/April/2004 at 4:35am

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody could give me some advice.  In 1997 I filed a consumer proposal and I paid it off by 2001.  Now 3 years after the fact, it is supposed to be erased from my credit report.  It is still there and I have heard that I would need to provide Equifax and Transunion with my certificate of full performance.  The problem is that I have no idea where to fax it and I am not sure if there is anything else they would need to see.  I would really like to talk to someone at either credit bureau to see what the procedure is but of course there is no way to talk to anyone.

So, my questions are:

1) Does anyone know how to talk to a real live person at either credit bureau?

2) Does anyone know what I need to fax to have this removed from my credit report?

3) Does anyone have the fax numbers where I should send it?

4) How long will it take for them to remove it?

Thanks!!!!

Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2004 at 5:24am

1) To talk with a person at Equifax it is difficult. The toll free is 800-465-7166. You can zero out at some point and reach a live operator. For Trans Union, it is just as difficult to get live flesh on the phone.

2) To have the information updated, adjusted, or removed, you have to fax the bureaus a covering letter detasiling who you are, any other parties involved, and what you are requesting. Also, you need to include a copy of your discharge certificate and any particulars that support your request.

3) Trans Union's fax # is 877-793-5411, and Equifax's Fax # is 514-355-8502. It may take 30 days or so to register once it has been authenticated.

Johnny  

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stepforward2bk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2004 at 6:30am

Thanks Johnny..

Another (unrelated) question... Anyone know how long a CA (who has my Ontario SL) will hold off before recommending judgement?   Is there a timeline on this?  If he has already done so, how long before it is taken seriously and someone is handing me a summons? I want to start making payments but would like to get my head above water and take care of some other debts that aren't already in the toilet first.

Thanks!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2004 at 12:15pm

There is no time line that determines when an individual is to be sued. If there are limitation issues involved, then the schedule for such action would commence at least 12 months before a student loan is to become stats barred.

There is some indication that OSL (Ontario Provincial Loans) are exempt from any statutes of limitations. All of the provinces say this, in fact. They even go as far as to say that the CSLP/HRDC has no statutes in place either. Well, they do in fact. It is still 6 years. As for the province of Ontario, I had spoken with a member of the Secretariat's office and quizzed him about it.. he said he would call me back after I enlightened him about Bill C-28 and he never did. I called later and spoke to another person. I asked her why OSAP does not follow the act governing the administration and handling of student loans, based on what has been said in retrospect to the no limitation period ruling. I also advised her that the act is a rule and it should be followed just like everything else. Does Ontario have it's own act? I think not, I said. She just hung up on me.

Interesting.

Goes to show. I have my doubts that OSL's are exempt from becoming statutory barred. I need someone to show me a bill passed that dismisses OSL from the limitations - and an ammendment to an act that supports this. Then I will believe it.

Johnny

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
leavingcan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leavingcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/May/2004 at 9:40am

Hi Johhny

It's been helpful reading your comments.

I posted something in "Describe your debt" on Ontario Limitations and perhaps you could provide some feedback on it.

I think the situation is that under the new act there is no limitations period (unless someone successfully challenges this provision).  But (and this is a bit of a guess) former limitations periods apply if they already expired. 

So some of the Ontario people who were allegedly overpaid (more than 6 years ago)can say the claim expired underold Act.  Dunno for sure. 

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stepforward2bk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/June/2004 at 5:05am

Just an FYI for everybody...Here is a number at Equifax where you can talk to a real live person, be it a stupid one.... 

1-877-323-2598

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stepforward2bk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/June/2004 at 8:53am

Can anyone tell me what the chances are of obtaining a credit card from a company that was previously included in a consumer proposal?  I have my certificate of full performance and all of the creditors involved have finally been removed from my credit report.  If I apply will a red flag come up and will they have noted that I had included them in a proposal previously?

Any help is appreciated -Thanks!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/June/2004 at 10:09am

The chances are slim to none unless they have a "secured credit card" option. Or, if you have a good working relationship with this particular lender and they are willing to overlook the bankruptcy issues. If you apply for credit with them, they will see that you went bankrupt (Consumer proposal) and they will either say yes or no.

solvestudentdebt.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stepforward2bk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/June/2004 at 10:31am
 Thanks Johnny- do you know long my previous creditors will keep this on their records?  Both credit bureaus have removed all of the creditors included in the proposal from my report. There is nothing on there that refers to it.  So I guess the only way to go is to find a lender that wasn't previously included?
 Post Reply Post Reply