New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - NEED HELP FAST
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


 Post Reply Post Reply
santamonica View Drop Down

Joined: 26/October/2016
Location: ontario
Points: 2
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote santamonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEED HELP FAST
    Posted: 26/October/2016 at 10:06am
Hello Everyone,
So the story is this:
I was paying my student loans ages ago (well over a decade) and the smallest of loans ended up going to a collection agency because of missed payments.
The payments were missed because the government was applying my payments for this loan to a different loan.
I called the government to resolve this and they said its too late I must speak with collections.
I called the collection agency and they were a bunch of idiots acting like the typical scumbags collectors.
I ignored this loan for ages after that. It got passed around to a few different agencies over the years.
Ever since the government has been using my returns and tax refunds to pay the loans.
Most recently I had approx. 2k of my return applied to this loan.
The amount I currently owe is approx. 2k (grossly overcharged interest amount)
I finally called these guys and they told me the best they can do is give me a break and I'd have to pay $1800 approx.
They sent me a letter stating this amount with no actual payment slip.
I called back and tried to bargain further but they wouldn't budge.  I told them that I'm trying to resolve this old debt.
They said the following: 
The discount they gave me is the max allowable by the government unless I want to fill out paperwork and ask the government to reduce it.
They also said since I didn't pay the 1800 by the date specified in the letter that they hit my credit but might be able to reverse it if I pay immediately as it just happened.
Is any of this true?
Would this have been off my credit and they just hit it again with a negative report?
If so, are they able to reverse this as they stated?
Should I pay this amount even though it is unfair that I'd be paying basically 3 times what the original loan was?
What would I need in writing from them if it is best for me to settle at this amount?
They kept saying that the fact that if I pay the stated loan amount in full and my bank slips would be sufficient.
Please let me know asap as I don't know what to do. thanks!!
Back to Top
Sponsored Links

Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd.