Print Page | Close Window

Moved out of Canada

Printed From:
Category: Immediate Attention and Info!
Forum Name: Urgent Help needed - Post here!
Forum Description: In a student loan crisis? Post here for help! Members! Watch for posts and will help out!
Printed Date: 24/April/2019 at 4:44pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.08 -

Topic: Moved out of Canada
Posted By: LifeIsTiring
Subject: Moved out of Canada
Date Posted: 09/February/2018 at 10:10pm
Hello everyone. I really hope that someone here will be able to shed some light on my situation. I owe the NSLSC a little less than $25,000.

I moved to the United States in 2016 to be with my American spouse, and recently became a US permanent resident. I began applying for and getting Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP) from NSLSC since two or three years before I moved to the US, as I was unsuccessful at my attempts to find meaningful work in Ontario since 2014. 

Since moving to the US two years ago, I have continued to re-apply for RAP every few months. However, because one of the requirements for getting RAP is that you have to reside in Canada, I've been using my last Canadian address each and every time, even though I no longer live there. (I wasn't working at all the last two years either, due to immigration reasons, so I did not have any money to make any payments towards the loan.)

Now that I'm a permanent resident in the US, I am thinking of "coming clean" to the NSLSC and letting them know that I actually no longer live in Canada. However, I still need Repayment Assistance. I have only just begun working and so far, have only been able to secure part-time employment at a grocery store (we live in a very small town). 

Will the NSLSC offer me any kind of repayment assistance now that I no longer live in Canada? If not, would they work with me so that I only pay a small percentage of my meagre paycheck? Or will they immediately consider me in default and hand it over to a collection agency? What will happen if I go AWOL completely (or at least until I can actually make some payments)? At this point, I haven't given them any type of information as to where I am.

I have no plans of returning to Canada to live, but do plan on some quick visits here and there. Please help. Thank you.

Posted By: Johnny
Date Posted: 10/February/2018 at 12:22pm
There are rules and filing false information to acquire a benefit may get you banned from ever using RAP again. 

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting." rel="nofollow -

Posted By: LifeIsTiring
Date Posted: 10/February/2018 at 2:05pm
What are the options of Repayment Assistance for someone who is outside of Canada? If Repayment Assistance is not possible, would they work out payment arrangements with you if you're outside of Canada? Or would they instantly call in the loan because you're no longer in Canada?

Posted By: administrator
Date Posted: 18/February/2018 at 6:00pm
From my understanding there is no RAP for people outside of Canada.  You can still work out payment arrangements as per your consolidation agreement, but make sure you don't go into default.



Mark O'Meara

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.08 -
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. -