New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Small Claims Court for student loan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Small Claims Court for student loan

 Post Reply Post Reply
LAFS View Drop Down

Joined: 11/October/2017
Location: Canada
Points: 2
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAFS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small Claims Court for student loan
    Posted: 12/October/2017 at 7:40am
Good day,
I am here looking for some advice. Yesterday I was served small claims court papers and given 20 calendar days to respond. It states the plaintiff is Her Magesty the Queen as represented by the Minister of natural revenue. The amount is 15,000 and change and the loan is from 2010.
Right after college I struggled greatly, they fast-tracked the program I was in because they said there was a huge demand for workers in the DSW field. After we all graduated the were no jobs like we were expecting. I worked at times 3 different part time jobs just to get by. There was no money left to make student loan payments. So I went a long time without paying anything. Until this past year, the CRA contacted my workplace telling them that I needed to contact them ASAP. So I did. I came to an agreement and started making payments every month. It was a low amount, lower than they were asking but they accepted it. During that conversation I told them of my health. From February-May I was on a waiting list for heart surgery and was actually given a year to live unless they did surgery. This meant ALOT of doctors appointments out of town, some as far away as Toronto (4 hours) I explained I could only pay that amount because of my medical bills, also medication is not free. I don't understand why I was served papers when I was making payments? I really don't know what I'm going to do. I did have the heart surgery but there continues to be complications and ongoing medical care that makes me miss work.
I have zero assets. I rent an apartment, all furniture and household items were purchased used or handed down from family. I don't drive or own a car. My goal is to come to a compromise, I don't mind paying I just don't think I can pay what they are asking ontop of all of my other bills. The only way I would be able to pay what they want is to give up my apartment, sell most of my belongings and live on a family member's couch for as long as they'll have me. I would really love to avoid that if possible.
What do I do? Who should I talk to?
Back to Top
Sponsored Links

Back to Top
Johnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Joined: 05/November/2003
Location: Canada
Points: 5829
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/October/2017 at 9:40am
You mean Minister of National Revenue. This is the federal loan. 

The government is relentless in their efforts to recover money owed to the Crown. What they do all depends on your financial and family situation really. There are arguments you can raise in your appeal to them to cease action and accept a payment plan, but they are very critical in their policy and thinking. They set payment plans that are excruciating at times, depending on a individual's situation.

I can assess this for you and give you some guidance if you want. It will take about 30 minutes and the cost is $50.00 for this sort of gig. 
The Canadian Financial Wellness Group (CFWG)
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.08
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.